X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    20AWG wires for everything
    When I see that in a PSU, I can be almost certain it's a cheapie.
    200 W continuous, 300 W peak. Could probably do 250 W continuous, but it will likely run hot.

Also, in the event of a short circuit, those 20 AWG wires rarely hold up well. I have an L&C like that melt the wires without shutting down at all.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Also,the fan uses a 2 pin connector,but on this PCB (X-B2002 Rev:2.3) they seem to have traced the + pin to 5v as opposed to 12v on the Y-B200ATX versions.
    Check where the (-) wire on the fan goes. Could be wired to -5V (to give 10V total). I doubt it, though.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
    I wasn't referring to the secondary section of the psu. The combination of 33 sized transformer and 470uF primary capacitors (assuming they are real 470uF caps and not 330uF) makes it a 250W power supply.
    Exactly.

Originally posted by pfrcom
    No comments on the Asus A-36F ?
    Looks fine to me. Definitely okay for up to 300 W continuous (which should be good enough for a decent CPU and mid-to-high end graphics card)... Provided the 12V rectifier is rated accordingly, though.
    Last edited by momaka; 07-17-2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Yup, the primary side on yours (Dan81) will probably limit you to about 250W. pfrcom's unit has much larger 820uF primary caps and an ERL-35 transformer. His probably will handle 350W due to the beefier primary side. I'm guessing that the secondary side is probably a bit beefier too.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        Yup, the primary side on yours (Dan81) will probably limit you to about 250W. pfrcom's unit has much larger 820uF primary caps and an ERL-35 transformer. His probably will handle 350W due to the beefier primary side. I'm guessing that the secondary side is probably a bit beefier too.
        Oh well,at least can I trust it to run this rig? (given I install a beefier 12v rectifier):

Athlon 64 x2 5600+
        GT440 1GB
        2GB RAM
        MSI K9N-SLi
        1TB HDD
        CD-RW\DVDROM & DVD-RW drive
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yeah, it would probably work.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Athlon 64 x2 5600+: 89W TDP
            GT440 1GB: 65W TDP
            HDD: 5-12W
            total minimum 12V rail wattage: about 160W (13.3 Amps)
            Multiply by a "fudge factor" of 1.5 to have some headroom for optical drive, chipset, RAM, and etc.
            Total PSU wattage: 160 * 1.5 = 240 Watts. So yeah, that PSU should run it. Might get a little warm, though.

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
              Acquired these two recently - seem like reasonable quality to me - interested to know what the power supply aficionados think of them

Asus A-36F
              First three pics - apologies for the blurriness
              Teapos in the secondary look OK
              Looks a bit like my ST-65ZF...

Comment

Annyone know who did this unit?

Has all Fuhyyju and JunFu caps, though a decent Power Logic fan...
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it could be Jou Jye, not 100% sure though. What does the writing on the main transformer say? Do you have a picture of the label?

Comment

Maybe ATNG or Topower?
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      Looks like it could be Jou Jye, not 100% sure though.
                      hm, could be. Seems pretty decent to me, what's your oppionion?
                      What does the writing on the main transformer say?
                      ERL39-10A, nothing more.

Do you have a picture of the label?
                      Nope

Says:
                      +5VDC/30A
                      +12VDC/14A
                      -12VDC/1A
                      -5VDC/0,5A
                      3,3VDC/14A
                      VSB/1,5A

No Combined power ratings...

Modelname is SH300A8H+P4.

Has an FCC Number though, D711121, but that didn't turn up anything...
                      Datecode seems to be from 2001, August...

Comment

You know, this thing actually reminds me of a Sky Hawk PSU I saw a while back. I think it also had SH before the standard "EEL" markings on the transformers. They were pretty active as well back in 2001.

What are the switchers, 2SC2625?
                        Input capacitors look like 820uF or even 1000uF.

I think it could do 350W no problem if it has those switchers. It'd probably need a 12V rectifier upgrade though if you wanted to use it in a modern system. Nice that it has at least PPFC. I bet if there's two slots for 12V, two schottkys would probably bring this thing over 80% efficiency on 230V.

I like that it uses a Power Logic fan. Is it sleeve bearing or ball bearing?

Comment

Switchers are 2SC3320 (or something like that)
                          Input caps are indeed 1000uF, but those F-thingys...

I didn't see a slot for a second +12V Schottky, just one it seems...

And the fan is a sleeve bearing, of course

But yeah, it is a Sky Hawk PSU...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                            Switchers are 2SC3320 (or something like that)
                            Whoops, that's what I meant, the 15A ones. 15A is plenty for 300W. It's probably down rated because the airflow must be atrocious in that thing.

Input caps are indeed 1000uF, but those F-thingys...
                            Yuck. Should be fine in the voltage doubler though, the only place Fuhjyyu can last.

It does look pretty good. If you're going to use it, I'd oil that sleeve bearing fan. If you were thinking about tossing it, I bet you the member goodpsusearch would gladly pay you shipping for it

Comment

Seems like some FSP too.

Connecting primary and secondary heatsink, yeah baby! Is there any insulation?
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

naa, just a plate between those two and the screws, no insulation of any kind.

Comment

Final guess from me would be Hipro.

Anyways,I found a quite similar PSU:
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&pp=40&page=28
                                  It's the Modecom on the top.

EDIT:Finally found the oem of both - Dee Van Electronics. Notice the DVE logo on the Modecom label. I googled the Skyhawk's label and it has it as well. (look for a small triangle with the DVE letters in it)
                                  Last edited by Dan81; 08-03-2015, 01:47 PM.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Something different. The OEM was more or less easy to find -> used their UL File Number on the label.
                                    This is a 250W PSU. Guess who did it ;-)
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm. Looks like an old Bestec

Comment

That's because it is

Got those two with another FSP one, all rather old (pre Y2K ones, it seems).
                                        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, looks like 1998. I think it looks good for 250W. They were a little ahead of their time for a low end unit, not using half bridge in 1998. Funny how their cap choice was better 17 years ago. CEC>CapXon

Comment

Working...
                                          X