This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

$100 seems a bit high let alone $200, but I guess thats ebay prices these days.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
      $100 seems a bit high let alone $200, but I guess thats ebay prices these days.
      Say what you will about ebay....its a fair barometer of an item's value. Anything 3DFX voodoo 3 3000 and up is worth an easy 100 bucks. NIB is 2 c-notes easy, those kooky collectors are mainly after the boxes, not what's in them (this holds true to NOS boxed processors as well). Voodoo 3 2000's and 1000's are good for $50~$75-ish on average. voodoo 1 & 2's are pretty worthless unless they're NOS (like I said before; the kooky collectors are mainly after the fugging boxes) or a complete SLI voodoo2 setup will still bring some good coin. Voodoo 4's and 5's are big money. Ebay has nothing to do with it, pay attention to the bids....an item is worth what someone is willing to pay. I'll double my money on this one!!

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Say what you will about ebay....its a fair barometer of an item's value. Anything 3DFX voodoo 3 3000 and up is worth an easy 100 bucks. NIB is 2 c-notes easy, those kooky collectors are mainly after the boxes, not what's in them (this holds true to NOS boxed processors as well). Voodoo 3 2000's and 1000's are good for $50~$75-ish on average. voodoo 1 & 2's are pretty worthless unless they're NOS (like I said before; the kooky collectors are mainly after the fugging boxes) or a complete SLI voodoo2 setup will still bring some good coin. Voodoo 4's and 5's are big money. Ebay has nothing to do with it, pay attention to the bids....an item is worth what someone is willing to pay. I'll double my money on this one!!

Mmm I got my Voodoo 3 3000 for $50 so I guess I didn't do too bad by your price assessment. I only buy what I need. I just don't like it when I see people buying up multiples of the same item just to make a profit. If 3DFX would have never had the proprietary glide api and the cards direct 3d like everything else they probably wouldn't be worth a quarter of what they are today.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Mmm I got my Voodoo 3 3000 for $50 so I guess I didn't do too bad by your price assessment. I only buy what I need. I just don't like it when I see people buying up multiples of the same item just to make a profit. If 3DFX would have never had the proprietary glide api and the cards direct 3d like everything else they probably wouldn't be worth a quarter of what they are today.
          If that $50 included shipping, you got a good deal, it was worth more than that. Open bidding, it'd have gone for more.... I move a lot of 3dfx stuff around, usually to build retro rigs from and flip. I get a premium for the ones I toss out there....it's the American way! Supply as demand, my friend! 3DFX cards have been out of production for nearly 20 years.....they're getting scarce. They're worth what people are willing to pay.....if there is going to be profit to be made from it, I might as well make a buck. I have a few retro rigs that I have a lot of liking for and won't part with, but most to me are cattle (no emotional attachments).... Buy low, build, sell high. It's great!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

If that $50 included shipping, you got a good deal, it was worth more than that. Open bidding, it'd have gone for more.... I move a lot of 3dfx stuff around, usually to build retro rigs from and flip. I get a premium for the ones I toss out there....it's the American way! Supply as demand, my friend! 3DFX cards have been out of production for nearly 20 years.....they're getting scarce. They're worth what people are willing to pay.....if there is going to be profit to be made from it, I might as well make a buck. I have a few retro rigs that I have a lot of liking for and won't part with, but most to me are cattle (no emotional attachments).... Buy low, build, sell high. It's great!
            Well at least your putting them in systems and not letting them sit around like some hoarders do, if you ever visit vogons there are lots of people bragging about have like 20 plus 3dfx cards but just let them sit on a shelf. I just got my voodoo 3 last week and have been playing the original half life on it having fun with it, it was just so frustrating trying to buy one. And if you do make a profit it keeps the lights on for this website so who i am to argue with that.

Comment

...letting them sit around like some hoarders do...
              We have one of those on this forum....but I won't mention names.

I will take great joy in cutting the shrinkwrap off this long neglected card and putting it in a system (I already have a special build in mind), and letting it be enjoyed for what it can do! I'll get the therapeutic joy of doing the build (the part I love), and then sell the system to someone who will enjoy the games it will play. Everyone wins.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

We have one of those on this forum....but I won't mention names.

I will take great joy in cutting the shrinkwrap off this long neglected card and putting it in a system (I already have a special build in mind), and letting it be enjoyed for what it can do! I'll get the therapeutic joy of doing the build (the part I love), and then sell the system to someone who will enjoy the games it will play. Everyone wins.
                Yes, it's me. Voodoo 2000 PCI. If I had 20 of them it would be different. I just have the one, still in shrink wrap. Was a gift from a classmate's dad back when I was in HS (part of a van load of freebies). Ugh. I'm split...
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Yes, it's me. Voodoo 2000 PCI. If I had 20 of them it would be different. I just have the one, still in shrink wrap. Was a gift from a classmate's dad back when I was in HS (part of a van load of freebies). Ugh. I'm split...
                  its time for you to build a nice system for that! a nice k6/2 or pentium 2/3 would do nicely. win95/98
                  Last edited by BigTroll; 03-07-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

its time for you to build a nice system for that! a nice k6/2 or pentium 2/3 would do nicely. win95/98
                    I mostly gave away my gear of that vintage... I do have a recently aquired Pentium 1 MMX system with a dead PCI GPU (old aOpen system, early ATX)... but retro systems haven't been my interest lately.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I mostly gave away my gear of that vintage... I do have a recently aquired Pentium 1 MMX system with a dead PCI GPU (old aOpen system, early ATX)... but retro systems haven't been my interest lately.
                      I have a P-Pro Overdrive system that's dying for that....since it's PCI.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

A little update: It looks like the SkyScan 88800 was made before the daylight savings "change your clocks" law was changed here in the USA. "Daylight Savings Time" was moved by 6 weeks around 2006. So the clock won't move forward in the spring and back an hour in autumn on schedule. I'll need to manually change the time zone to eastern Canada for 6 weeks in the spring and Topcat's "central" time zone for 6 weeks in the autumn.

For the rest of the year, the clock will stay on "Eastern Time Zone".
                        Last edited by Hondaman; 03-08-2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
                          the daylight savings "change your clocks" law
                          a fucking law to change clocks????
                          you really need a revolution - what do they do if you forget, confiscate your house?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            a fucking law to change clocks????
                            you really need a revolution - what do they do if you forget, confiscate your house?
                            You end up never being on time. It's not a law in the "you break it, we arrest you" sense. More of a "strong suggestion" and "how the gov't will be keeping time".

It's like with the US flag code, which calls out how the US flag is to be handled, displayed, and disposed of when worn out (and what counts as worn out). None of these can be enforced outside the military as per the 1st and 14th amendments (and two supreme court cases stating such), but the law still stands as a guideline for those wishing to be patriotic.
                            sigpic

Comment

interesting.

as for the flag - like most flags it's a government flag not a national flag.
                              legally it is used to indicate a federal government building or facility.
                              it goes back to the pre-revolution days of flying a flag above your fort.

Comment

you really need a revolution
                                In some respects, yes, we do need another revolution. When British soldiers shot colonists, and got away with it (sham trials back in England), we told King George the Third to SHOVE IT and KISS OFF. Life is sacred.

But today, when people are exonerated and released from prison (police intimidated witnesses, prosecutors withheld evidence from defense lawyers, or just good old DNA proof) the law gives immunity to police and prosecutors so they get away with it. Just like back in the days of the "United Colonies" (that was our name before we broke away from England).

End of rant.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Last I heard, Russia has TWELVE time zones. I don't know if they change their clocks. In the US, I think the clock change was to help US farmers be awake during more daylight hours in the growing season. Maybe their tractors (or plow horses) did not have headlights.

Changing the clocks is pretty much universal here -- it is just something we do (except Arizona and parts of Indiana). Individuals and businesses alike. It is not like "13 is an unlucky number, so the 13th floor of a building will be numbered as 14". Not every 13+ story building in America does that. Changing the clocks, well, pretty much everybody does it, because we don't want to be late for work, or arrive at a business after it closes for the day. That would be silly.
                                Last edited by Hondaman; 03-09-2020, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
                                  I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Last I heard, Russia has TWELVE time zones. I don't know if they change their clocks. In the US, I think the clock change was to help US farmers be awake during more daylight hours in the growing season. Maybe their tractors (or plow horses) did not have headlights.
                                  Time zones and DST are two different beasts. You wouldn't want to force the entire country to adopt a common "time-of-day" -- given that it spans so many time zones:
                                  - the lower 48 require 4 time zones
                                  - adding AK brings it to 5
                                  - bringing HI in requires 7
                                  - AS goes to 8
                                  - GU ups it to 11 (I think)
                                  [I may have misremembered this; I had to include timezone support for a product I designed many years ago and recall having to spend a bit of time with a map researching the abbreviations for each time zone, etc.]

So, if we fix sunrise at a reasonable hour (6AM?) on the east coast, it's close to sunset (the day before) in GU.

I don't think it's hard for folks to come to grips with the notion of "local time" correlating with the Sun's position in the sky -- you KNOW that Chicago is N hours ahead (or behind) you... and it will always be displaced by that much.

The annoyance is DST. Folks always need to be reminded of when it begins/ends. And, politicians have dicked with it over the years to further add to the confusion.

But, for the most part, Chicago is still N hours ahead (or behind) you regardless of whether or not DST is in effect.

Changing the clocks is pretty much universal here -- it is just something we do (except Arizona and parts of Indiana). Individuals and businesses alike. It is not like "13 is an unlucky number, so the 13th floor of a building will be numbered as 14". Not every 13+ story building in America does that. Changing the clocks, well, pretty much everybody does it, because we don't want to be late for work, or arrive at a business after it closes for the day. That would be silly.
                                  NOT observing DST is a huge blessing! We (AZ) don't bother dicking with our clocks, twice a year.

OTOH, because the rest of the country does (for the most part) we're not free of the DST annoyance: "Is Chicago 1 or 2 hours ahead of us, now?" (Alternatively, "Are we on Colorado time, now? Or California time?")

Comment

even Iran changes clocks,
                                    i'm not sure if that's from british colonial days or the shah - but they did consider ditching it recently - that's how i know about it.

personally i think it's just to piss people off and cause road accidents from half asleep drivers.

Comment

It's long been time to ditch DST for good. Get rid of it, US!
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

no daylight saving here in asia. timekeeping is so much more simpler here! hehe!

Comment

Yeah I hate the time change the women now has a lot of trouble waking up in the morning and making breakfast

Comment

Working...
                                          X