This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Nice. Its sad to think that someone sits there and removes parts until the thing stops working. Then they just put the very last part back and ship it! I didn't notice the lack of a bridge rectifier until you pointed it out. I guess they ran out of them that day! And I just noticed that like yours, the primary filter caps on mine are rated for only 200v. So much for being able to use the high side of the 120v/230v selector switch! They could have left that off and saved another 2 cents. I guess I'll tuck this one away for possible repair in the future just in case.

Comment

The two primary caps are in series, so they can handle 400V total, but only 165uf of capacitance combined. (almost all non-APFC designs use this. APFC designs use a single 400-450V cap to save room for the APFC circuitry.)

Comment

That makes sense. I guess even for an el-cheapo PSU, purposely over-volting the primary filter caps would be taking it too far.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto
          The large IC (SBL304OPT)- i think is the schottky diode, is showing a short across the two outer pins.
          That's normal since the two outer pins connect to the transformer, and SMPS transformers have too few winding on the output side so they always read short circuit between pins.
          Instead, try measuring resistance between middle and outside pins. On this one you shouldn't get a short circuit.
          Also, you only have 330uF capacitors on the primary, so don't expect more than 200-250 watts from this thing.
          Last edited by momaka; 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
            That's normal since the two outer pins connect to the transformer, and SMPS transformers have too few winding on the output side so they always read short circuit between pins.
            Instead, try measuring resistance between middle and outside pins. On this one you shouldn't get a short circuit.
            Also, you only have 330uF capacitors on the primary, so don't expect more than 200-250 watts from this thing.
            Yeah I just noticed the "win250" silkscreened on the bottom.

Comment

Another Excel. It's rated for 400W - ROFLMHO.
              Attached Files
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                I've got a 250 Watt Novia which looks exactly the same...
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  not as bad as the 480 watt echo star with the dummy weights, but still disappointing. the secondary is tiny, ant the primary has 4 diodes. total junk
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The blown Sanyo TT2144 primary transistors were only rated for 250W power supplies:
                    A possible substitute for the TT2144 is the TT2194 (500VCBo, 400VCEo, 12A, 50W).
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      not as bad as the 480 watt echo star with the dummy weights, but still disappointing.
                      Disappointing indeed, but not that horrible at all. It does have X/Y caps, a coil, and also OVP and UVP. The heatsinks are tiny, though, and there aren't enough caps on the secondary. Note the small transformer marked with a fake size 35 label, too.

ant the primary has 4 diodes. total junk
                      That's actually not that much of a problem. Line voltage in Australia is 230v so even if these diodes are rated for 1.5A each, the PSU can still pull 345 watts theoretically (if it can withstand that much ).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        the primary has 4 diodes. total junk
                        That's actually not that much of a problem. Line voltage in Australia is 230v so even if these diodes are rated for 1.5A each, the PSU can still pull 345 watts theoretically.
                        I agree, what is wrong with using diodes vs a bridge?

Most PSU problems I've seen are stuffed transistors or secondary-side recitifers or leaking capacitors.

Hardly ever see a problem with the primary side components. (unless caused by a fool who flipped the voltage switch or a power surge etc)
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Agent24; it is difficult to get airflow down to the diodes
                          A bridge rectifier is high up so it gets some airflow, plus if the manufacturer wants he can install a heatsink on it aswell

The diode treatment is the cheapo way out, cheaper than using a bridge rectifier...
                          But it's a more sensible cost savings approach than removing all primary side filtering components like some manufacturers do!
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I started messing with this one, harvesting parts from other busted PSUs and such. I have a question about the transformer behind YC1 & YC2. What would one call that piece in order to find a similar unit on Digikey? I pulled on off another PSU, but unfortunately it was a little too big (pins didn't line up with the holes). And what kind of capacitors should I be looking for to populate YC1-YC4?

and that's what the primary side filtering is supposed to look like..

Comment

I think it's a line filter rather than a transformer.

If the holes don't line up exactly you can probably enlarge them or drill new ones. The pads should be large enough to allow for this.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

On Digikey, look under "Common Mode Chokes" in the "Filters" category. There's a couple thousand to choose from.

For the Y capacitors, search for "Y1" or "Y2", and then look in the Ceramic or Film Capacitor categories. Most important thing to worry about here is the lead spacing too.

Comment

I am in the ballpark for the coil. I found ones that are somewhat similar looking. But for ~$5, I might look around for some more old PSUs. I guess I can see why they would leave them off to increase the bottom line.
                                  Here is one that I am thinking might work: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=PLK1324-ND

As for the capacitors there are about 32 different choices that fall under the category 250V/High Voltage/Safety. The pF rating goes from 15pF to 4700pF. Is there any value that I should shoot for here?

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                                    As for the capacitors there are about 32 different choices that fall under the category 250V/High Voltage/Safety. The pF rating goes from 15pF to 4700pF. Is there any value that I should shoot for here?
                                    Not sure, but from what I noticed most PSUs will use 1nF to 3.3nF (1000pF to 3300pF).

As for the choke - you're probably better off finding some old junk PSUs like you said. They'll likely have the safety X/Y caps too.

Comment

Anyone want to see the guts of these?

And maybe a Tagan ITZ 700W (1 of 4 that I'm willing to open, seen in blue box on left side of picture) and a monster DPS-750 (220v) out of an 8-way PIII Xeon server for dessert!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

holy cow uve got lotsa psus

Comment

only the bad ones, this is not build quality pictorial, this is the hall of shame. server power supplies that are not blown up do not count (they are very nice actually)

in pic #1, i'd try the black one and column 1 2nd from the top. the latter has thin wire (it has to be gutless!) and the black one looks like a gamer wannabe unit...

i see a hipro built one, it has a blue "void if broken" sticker, those are very well built.
                                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                          X