• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy behaviour Acer 573G

Hi all,

My laptop has a problem I am having very hard times to identify:

- No hdd, nor dvd, ethernet and wifi card shown in bios
    booting from usb everything else works fine, audio and other peripherals are working.

I flashed bios multiple time using also the clean me version, no luck.

i measured the voltages in any coil and I guess I am getting the right readings,

I'm lost, I have no clue
    Last edited by bagaglia; 12-21-2020, 09:47 AM. Reason: incomplete

Re: Crazy behaviour Acer 573G

update:
    external vga works too.
    the hdd and dvd spin up regularly

I upload a pictures of the voltages i did measure, they seem fine to me, does anybody have a clue?

I really can't tell if it's a bios related issue or a hardware malfunction.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bagaglia; 12-21-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Please identify the board correctly.

4.8 is a little low. Do you have a lab PSU? You should look for a pattern in power draw. What do you mean spin up regularly? Do they come up and down in a cycle?

Because all the periphery you're describing feeds off 3.3/5 power rails, you should probably start looking there first. Look for things that overheat, low resistances, suspiciously looking elements and solder.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I mean that i can hear the hdd spin up when i turn the pc on, and then it will stay steady on (electrically), the dvd has voltage because if i press the open button it pops up the tray.

They don't cycle.

3.3 is present, 5 is present

The board is a ZRT DA0ZRTMB6D0 REV D

UPDATE:
        It "feels" like if a section of the board is off, but it seems logically more than electrically
        Last edited by bagaglia; 12-22-2020, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Here's your schematic https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtI...bdVAg6pDv/view

You can start exploring the specifics.

Comment

I'll take a look, but do you exclude a bios/ITE problem?

Comment

Unless for some reason there's an incorrect BIOS version installed, I would exclude it, yes. The chances of a flash chip being corrupt enough to ignore a significant chunks of periphery but nothing else are doubtful. I'm less certain about the ITE but this would be easily testable by checking the enable signals on the secondary power supplies.

Comment

I finished intalling windows on this laptop via external usb disk, so again i report what is listed in device manager (briefly):

1) Battery
                2) bluetooth
                3) audio controller
                4) usb controller
                5) webcam
                6) HID
                7) realtek audio
                8) video card
                9) keyboard

missing:

1) Controller IDE ATA/ATAPI
                2) wireless network adapter
                3) Realtek GbE controller LAN adapter
                4) DVD drive
                5) HDD drive

Comment

You're reporting conflicting things. Initially you said that after boot everything works fine. Now you are saying that some devices also do not appear in Windows.

If the latter is the case, you are looking at power problems or some fault related to PCI.

Comment

Hi again,

I said everything "else" works fine, sorry i didn't express myself clearly.

i listed the missing peripherals in order to show you what is missing precisely

Comment

Interesting PCI issue

Have you checked load default settings in bios

Have you tried window ahci driver installation if applicable , mostly corrupted windows also show same issue

Tried window fresh install ,it will detect but I am saying all this as it seems to be software related issue

Comment

Yes, weird indeed.

windows installation is fresh, so no, i don't think so.

To be honest I can't understand why the bluetooth, audio controller and external vga and USB ports are working, while ethernet, wifi card and sata controller not,

the only thing i can think about is if they are controlled by the same piece of bios / ITE / voltage while the peripherals that work are controlled by another section. I don't have all this experience to understand it.

Comment

Did you check under Linux with `lspci` to see what shows up on the PCIe bus?

The PLLs for these busses are powered from different pins on the PCH, going through different inductors. In general if power is missing on them it causes no POST, but you can still make sure the inductors are good and they have voltage on both sides. They are on the bottom part of page 11 of the schematics.
                          You'll have to use the component placement diagram of the boardview to locate them.

It's especially weird for the SATA controller to be missing as it's internal to the PCH, the Ethernet and WiFi controller are external so it could be an issue somewhere else on the PCIe bus.
                          Bluetooth is on the USB bus, audio codec IC is on the HDA bus so they kinda work independently. Although internally inside the PCH the controllers are connected to the PCIe bus.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

did boot in linux,

lspci shows no ethernet nor wifi nor hdd

I'll try to measure volts in each inductor side, but other than that......

could it be a corrupted part of the ITE?
                            Last edited by bagaglia; 12-23-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I retested all coils, voltage costant and regular on both sides

Comment

Can you measure voltage on DEVSLP0 ,EC_ODD_EJ pin 94 ,ODD_POWER pin 71, IOAC_WLANPWR# pin 35
                                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I'll try, but the pins are so clooooose on the ITE I'm afraid i'll fry something....

By the way, Merry Christmas.....

Comment

Working...
                                  X