No announcement yet.

A Supermicro completely Shanghai'd!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Supermicro completely Shanghai'd!!

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    damn man, sell it

some other stuff too

and buy me a 3080 ti

Haha. Those are $2500 now. With a $1200 MSRP.

Comment

This went together the other day.....I just forgot to post the updates, I was busy with other crap....Anyway...

First thing was to replace this 120mm fan with a PWM one. This one was a pure 12v, and very loud. 5V wouldn't even start it....

PWM fan swiped from a junk Dell Optiplex 330.

Repinned and installed in the Supermicro cage.

In the case, one good thing about Supermicro, their boards a loaded with fan headers!

Now for mounting the 2.5" SAS HDD's in non-hotswap bays....this requires some kind of adapters. The best way is Western Digital 'ice trays' that their 2.5" velociraptors used....but I didn't have enough left for this build....and every moron on ebay thinks these are worth $20+ each...so I found the next best thing in the form of a HP SAS tray. They were $7, free ship.

SAS in:

SATA interface out:

Ironically, HP rebadged 15K Cheetahs going in the HP trays.

The upper Supermicro HDD cage:

Drives installed.

Cage reinstalled and lower pulled.

...and done with drives.

These are the FX4800's right now. The FX5800's are here too. I want to do a benchmark between them just for grins. I want to do something different GPU-wise all together.....but GPU's are ridiculous right now, so I'm waiting & watching...

Things tidied up and ready to fire!

Installing Windows 7; config'd the drives in a 558gb RAID5.

...and here we are!! I haven't had a chance to run a lot of tests on this yet....but it's coming!

FWIW, I love the de-virginizing a brand new BEIGE supermicro case! Not something that's easily found today, and it's so sexy!!

System specs are:

Supermicro H8DA3-2 Motherboard
      Supermicro 865W (PWS-865-PQ) PSU
      2x AMD Opteron 8393 SE Quadcore CPU's @ 3.1GHz; Shanghai cores
      64gb PC2-5300R
      2x Quadro FX5800 GPU's in SLI (The FX4800's are for testing purposes)
      4x 147gb 15K RPM SAS HDD's in a RAID5
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Heads up! The later Sunons, especially of the Core 2 era, seem hit-and-miss in quality. I had a 2007 that failed by seizing up, even though it just felt like something was sticking, LOL. But, have a 2006 of the same model, IIRC and was doing fine, the last time I checked. Both are from socket 775 systems.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Heads up! The later Sunons, especially of the Core 2 era, seem hit-and-miss in quality. I had a 2007 that failed by seizing up, even though it just felt like something was sticking, LOL. But, have a 2006 of the same model, IIRC and was doing fine, the last time I checked. Both are from socket 775 systems.
          In all my years and the many hundreds (maybe thousands) of them I've encountered, I've only seen one kind-of bad one; in THIS BUILD. You had the age right though, it would be circa 2007-ish. It did not seize up at all, just making a little bearing noise that I found to be annoying; it otherwise worked fine....but I did replace it. I have tons of these around from some scrapped dells.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            In all my years and the many hundreds (maybe thousands) of them I've encountered, I've only seen one kind-of bad one; in THIS BUILD. You had the age right though, it would be circa 2007-ish. It did not seize up at all, just making a little bearing noise that I found to be annoying; it otherwise worked fine....but I did replace it. I have tons of these around from some scrapped dells.
            I dunno what it was and I tried to drill in a hole for oil. I turned the bad one by hand and it felt like a rubbery/gluey substance got into the fan motor!
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

This one is done for now. I don't know WTF is going on with GPU prices, it's absolutely insane....so I'll wait out whatever it is. I threw the FX5800's in and tied everything up, calling it done for now.

Fully assembled, including the GPU extension brackets that I had a hell of a time finding in my hoard...but anyway, this is teh first case setup where I've actually had these fit correctly.....but anyway;

Butt shot!

SLI BABY!!

...and that's it for now...this one is done until I find the GPU's I want for the right price....but FWIW, all the hardware in this system is very period-specific....

Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Working...