Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried to socket mosfet?

Hi!

I thought about socketing D880 instead of soldering. Would socket like this hold it? Also would short pins of this socket be a problem? I mean I kind of like these because that would fix it against PCB but I am worried if heat of solder would melt the plastic with that short pins like linked product has?
    Last edited by LearningToRepair; 01-19-2021, 05:40 PM.

Re: Have you tried to socket mosfet?

I'd try to figure out why it's failing so often that you'd need to socket it first...

Comment

i have seen fets socketed in the past by using molex KK series connectors.
      but not in anything that pushes them hard, it was in monitor flyback circuits.

Comment

Socketing adds in a lot of parasitics that soldering does away with, and you end up with a more robust device without them. I don't think that most sockets of the size we're talking about here will come close to soldering in terms of electromechanical strength and you'll have socket failures.

Comment

What is "electromechanical strength" in this context?

> but not in anything that pushes them hard, it was in monitor flyback circuits.

I also dont have high load.

Comment

Why do you want to use sockets? There should be no need. I would not use them for a MOSFET for fear of loose connection. Even at low loads an intermittent connection could cause damage depending on how the circuit works. Those kinds of sockets you have shown are not exactly robust.

A big beefy socket for a big TO-3 power transistor that's likely bolted in place in a CRT flyback circuit is another matter.
            Last edited by Agent24; 01-22-2021, 08:03 PM.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by LearningToRepair View Post
              I thought about socketing D880 instead of soldering. Would socket like this hold it?
              Hold it? - likely YES.
              Reliably? Anyone's guess.
              Those sockets look like the same pitch as what's used on some breadboards. (And in fact, I have built a ton of breadboard projects with MOSFETs stuck into the breadboard for years and had no problems.) So chances are, they will probably work. But depending on how cheap their contact plating is, you may end up with a bad electrical connection in there over time (especially with cheap China stuff that tarnishes very quickly with humidity) - could be months or it could be years. I also don't recommend them for high-frequency circuits, as parasitic capacitance may become an issue.

Can we have more details in what you are building and why consider sockets instead of soldering in the first place?

Originally posted by LearningToRepair View Post
              Also would short pins of this socket be a problem? I mean I kind of like these because that would fix it against PCB but I am worried if heat of solder would melt the plastic with that short pins like linked product has?
              If I'm not mistaken, those sockets were made to be soldered, so they should be able to withstand soldering temperatures for some time... unless the plastic is really garbage cheap stuff... which you don't know sometimes with cheap online stuff like this.
              Last edited by momaka; 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Good point. In the past I bought various cheap connectors with plastic that couldn't stand much heat. Another reason to buy real branded parts from known suppliers. I think Dave Jones did a video on that too. Some cheapo SMT connectors that melted like cheese in the reflow oven.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                X