This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

i was unable to watch that all the way through, it was too painfull.
    that's why i hate utube.

so the FSC error is because the chinese programmer auto-detects the correct speed and ignores the parameter - so ignore it.

he pulled the chip and breadboarded it - why? just connect the header to the bottom of the programmer socket and the crystal is already there.

his breadboard was unreliable anyway - the crystal should have a pair of 18-22pf caps to ground - he didnt fit any!

and all you need to do for avrdude is copy & paste this:
    avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:TransistorTester.hex \-U eeprom:w:TransistorTester.eep \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m
    job done

Comment

well when all my bits come i will get you too help me copy the working chip contents onto the faulty chip that way i have two meters hopefully working then and can start upgrading one with your help i you dont mind that is.But will need help in the programming side of things if you dont mind as its all new too me so a guide mayhelp a few members as if everyones ic is blank on these kits there going to need too know how to programme it too.

Comment

do you have a Linux setup?

Comment

only xp-vista_win 7 _win 10 at the minute but no linux never used it.

Comment

hmm. have to get the libusb driver first then.

Comment

stj a question rather than add a header to the pcb for upgrading the files to the tester could i use one of these? as ive been offered one for free if i go and collect it and it may make the upgrades easier for me as ive never done programing before
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2622305495...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

i have never used one, so your on your own with the software, but i would take it for 3

Comment

i was wondering if it could take your modified files you upload ie the crystal upgrade etc. it will probably copy my good chip contents onto the blank kit one ok though i guess and make a working tester.

Comment

well tbh the 10pin header is a lot simpler than constantly removing the display and pulling the chip.

it makes no difference to *how* it's programmed - it just saves stripping the unit to get at the programming signals.

you should fit the header and grab the 866 for other things.

Comment

can you do a guide on programing it your way? as a lot of people may find it usefull and only have a windows pc etc ive ordered all the parts anyway just waiting for them too come.

Comment

you install the libusb driver from here:
                        http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

and the latest AVRdude from here:
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0e8896b305.pdf
                        http://download.savannah.gnu.org/rel....3-mingw32.zip

to program the chip, simply use
                        avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:TransistorTester.hex \-U eeprom:w:TransistorTester.eep \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m
                        there is a slightly different command to read one.

Comment

Hi thanks for the info stj another question for now have you got a diagram to where to solder the wires for the 10 pin header wires too as hopefully parts will have been delivered today.

Comment

you know i do
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              you know i do
                              Thanks for that stj whilst im waiting for the parts for may 2016 version tester i have one of the older type testers mine is the one without the crystal i see in the other picture it has a crystal added can i add one to this tester as im also thinking about changing the main ic too the larger capacity as its only 99p so worth the upgrade and i could update the firmware etc then can you offer any advice? this is only a spare tester but might as well upgrade it im not bothered about a rotary enoder etc i just want acurate test results.
                              Attached Files

Comment

adding a crystal is no problem, dont forget a crystal needs a pair of 22pF ceramic caps between the legs and ground.

(looks like the fact that RS sells the crystals in 5's isnt so bad!)

Comment

ive got 5 crystals so alls good the caps ive just ordered is there a guide which pins etc to connect the crystal and caps to my tester in picture one thanks again

Comment

these probably help
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      these probably help
                                      Thanks it sort of helps (im still la newbi remember with electronics ) so crystal legs to pb6 and pb7 with a 22p capacior on each leg to ground?
                                      Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-04-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

no, dont know how you came up with that.
                                        crystal to xtal1,xtal2 (pb6, pb7)
                                        keep the wires short.

personally i would use a pair of smd caps and just solder them between the pins on the actual crystal can.

pd1,pd3 are the rotary encoder mod!

Comment

sorry i edited my post as you was probably writing yours the last thing as i will be installing the larger ic too take the crystal and updated firmware how do i find the files i need to write to the chip i will need all the firmware files i guess not just the updates (i might programme the chip using that free programmer i need to collect this week ) so it will also save me adding a header on the board as i didnt order spares of them.
                                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-04-2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X