Dell Inspiron 15 5567 awfully slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 5567 awfully slow

Hi all, today's challenge a Dell inspiron that on boot gives a warning saying that it can't detect power supply voltage, clicking on "continue" it boots into Windows, but it's awfully slow. It seem's that it's undevolting the CPU because it doesn't go above 0,80Ghz ~1,06Ghz. Now I've checked that the power brick is indeed suppling 19v but it seems that the issue relies here. I don't have a spare one to test. Is there other away to figure this out?

Best Regards

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5567 awfully slow

It is slow for the reasons you have noted. The power supply ID is not working so the board logic is throttling the speed to a slow value, for a lower power consumption. The CPUs are pigs on current draw so need a beefy power adapter. The single wire communication must work to fix this case.

Link or post the schematic. Have not searched for the same. The PS_ID pin needs to be reviewed on the adapter and logic board.

Comment

This is true.

Comment

Update note. I was able to grab the same original 65W power adapter (had a kind friend who lend me), and as soon I plugged it in everything went back to normal.
        So this is a Core i5 7200U with 8GB of DDR4, and although it is not a very power demanding CPU and as noted by mon2 the PS_iD must be missing.
        A closer look at the original power brick I do see some sort of glue where plastic ends and the metal tip extrudes from it. So someone messed it up. I'll replace it with a compatible 90W power supply now.

Comment

Working...
        X