Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAMSUNG UN50TU8000F rebooting, backlight ok. No 12v to panel boards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SAMSUNG UN50TU8000F rebooting, backlight ok. No 12v to panel boards.

Originally posted by triplefour View Post
    i was not aware i was being rude in the way i started my thread...

rest assured i have the warmest feelings in my heart for anyone on this forum, especially those who take the time to post. we are all in this together are we not? and i feel i have shown my appreciation numerous times by being an active member of the forum, trying to help on other posts where i have something to add, and of course thanking anyone along to way who tries to help!

GREETINGS, EARTHLINGS!!!
    ALOHA FROM HILO, HAWAII
    You were not being rude, I myself like to get right to it, and appreciate not having to read extra words that don't pertain to the problem at hand, if someone wants to be greeted by hello I'm blah blah from blah blah, maybe they should try social media. THIS is a tv repair board. I can only put up with x number of those BS remarks before I have to respond.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 08-18-2022, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      You were not being rude, I myself like to get right to it, and appreciate not having to read extra words that don't pertain to the problem at hand, if someone wants to be greeted by hello I'm blah blah from blah blah, maybe they should try social media. THIS is a tv repair board. I can only put up with x number of those BS remarks before I have to respond.
      Thanks for the support, mate
      So I've made a little progress. I was looking at that tracing I did and guessed correctly that this loop just tells the mb that the panel boards are connected. If I short pins 1 and 45 on the connector that goes to the second board that I leave disconnected, I can "trick" the TV into thinking that the second board IS connected, thereby allowing the TV to stay on stably, and produce the 15v and 8v and 7v for the panel boards, which the right board (first board) makes use of to display...almost...half a picture. There is a concerning black vertical bar about an 8th of the screen wide right in the middle of the otherwise visible right half of the screen. The color looks washed out in the picture. I was still using the clients old mainboard. I switched to the new one and got a better picture but still that black bar.
      So both mains appear to be functioning OK, and it really looks narrowed down now to something on that left panel board which shows no "cold shorts" on any of the caps. I tried masking the pins responsible for the 15v coming into the second board and also the pins next to them for the 8v but I couldn't get the TV to be stable. It still kept getting up to about 7v on that big cap and then falling over and over. Masking these tiny pins is so tedious...
      so the only thing I have left at this point is voltage injection....unless there are any objections or interruptions I'll probably be doing that tomorrow. Injecting 15v into the big cap nearest the connector on the left panel board. What current should I start at and what should I expect to get up to before it's dangerous? Seems it could damage the panel itself if too much current?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by triplefour; 08-21-2022, 01:44 AM.
      Don't fear the repair...

Comment

I just don't know when to give up! I decided to keep going with masking pins, and on the first try, this big piece of tape masking a whole lot of what I assume are signal data pairs, while leaving the high voltage and the necessary pin 45 and pin 1 unmasked to complete the connection check loop...has resulted in a stable tv, all 16v, 8v, 7v voltages present and the picture no longer looks washed out. Still only seeing image on the right side and still having that black bar. But I think this proves I dont have any hot short on any of the higher voltage rails on the left board....so something wrong with one or some of the pins that tape is blocking. I can't stop now! Gotta keep cutting tiny pieces of tape lIke a madman late into the night!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by triplefour; 08-21-2022, 02:10 AM.
        Don't fear the repair...

Comment

Usually these 14 pins need to be masked.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by lotas; 08-21-2022, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
            I did this and for a little while I did get some picture on the left side. 2 of the areas were corrupted tho. Same width as the black bar I described earlier on the right side. Of the 2 bad areas 1 was all kinds of moving static, and the other was just black. Other parts looked good. While I was trying to get a reading on the COF TEST OUT pins, the picture went away and so too the voltage on those COF OUT TEST pins. I tried all kinds of tape masking but could not get that left side of the panel to do anything anymore. None of the COF turn on. All other voltage is there. The area of the screen on the right side with the bar has the same problem too. That COF is not getting turned on? I don't really care at this point if I fix the TV though I really would like to. I just want to understand panel and tcon logic!

Masking those 14 pins are the clock signals for that side of the panel. I found I only have to mask a few to get stable voltages but the right side panel won't display any image unless I also mask some other pins on the cable. By my count it's pins 43, 42, maybe 41... I need smaller eyes!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by triplefour; 08-21-2022, 06:48 AM.
            Don't fear the repair...

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
              With this mod you get stable image, but very tinted on left side. The reason is missing VGH.
              May be still the best option if nothing else can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by alfatv View Post
                With this mod you get stable image, but very tinted on left side. The reason is missing VGH.
                May be still the best option if nothing else can be done.
                i did this. tv stays stable but then i dont get any image on either side.
                something is making all the COF TEST OUT pins read 0.
                Don't fear the repair...

Comment

The guy decided to give up on fixing it and didn't even feel like returning the main board. So he gave it all to me. Basically I'm free now to try any crazy thing I can think of or be suggested to do to this panel to try get some results or at least some education from. Any ideas?
                  Don't fear the repair...

Comment

i spent a few hours yesterday not trying to fix the tv but instead, refining my environment, my techniques, and tools. i measured and cut up a bunch of "pin mask" strips of varying widths from 1 pin up to 14. tape by itself just doesnt work well for me, so i prefer to use some very thin but still stiff plastic combined with some tape to hold it in place. having those done and at the ready will save me a lot of fiddling around cutting these things in the future.
                    I took a few steps to create a more comfortable setup to work on tvs and take measurements, and the result is quite nice. I was able to measure and record the 60 pins going to that second board without the insanity inducing frustrations I was having earlier. I raised my workspace so that the TV is at a good chest height now so I'm not leaning over like I was. I got a good strong light and a magnifying glass involved. i got a very fine tipped felt pen. a micron 005 with which i can actually mark individual pins pretty easily. i put marks on the connector at 5 pin intervals and that helps A LOT. also i found a sewing pin with a finer point than my probe and wrapped it to my probe tip with a piece of silver wire. through the magnifying glass i realized where the safe place was to slip the tip of the pin into to read one and only one of the pins at a time. i had been trying to get at the pins from the back of the connector where they are soldered to the board, but i realized that from the top of the latch you can measure them more accurately. all of these things i did are quite simple, but combined they make the process bearable. the last thing i did to make it easier on myself is that instead of taking a break to write down each value, i found it much faster to use the voice recorder on my phone to record myself calling out the pin numbers and the values, and then just listened to it back and wrote them all down. WAAAAY faster than the alternative.

using my new pin masks, i seem to be getting more consistent results. now masking those 14 pins does get most of the screen going. the color is washed out and there is still that one black vertical bar on the right hand side of the screen, and there are 2 bars of the left side of the screen that are wrong too. one is some kind of static, the other is just black and twice as wide as the one on the right. on the COF test points related to those areas that have the black bars i am getting hardly any if any voltage compared with the normally functioning ones which i have listed earlier as 1.85v,0.1v,0.38v
                    i noticed also that the IC that is on the left panel board has the same 15.6 voltage on pin 8 as it does on the right side but all the other voltages are much lower than i would expect. pin 5 on the right reads at 7v but on the left board its 0. the other pins are all less than a volt.
                    ill see if i can get a datasheet on that IC. and try to trace where i that 7v should come from.
                    while i was probing that IC a couple of times my probe slipped and i might have jumped 2 pins but the picture became clear. still missing those bars but the washed out went away. it came back eventually though. but i saw that also when i was trying all kinds of pin masking the first time. theres got to be some way to at least get it to stay there! and then figure out how to turn on those cofs that are staying off? probably impossible. could be internal panel damage. but i went to look at another TV the other day and its almost this same model but a 58 inch and it has almost the same kind of problem! reboots when the second panel board is plugged in but otherwise stays on. these tvs are just barely a year old. have they gone full evil and are making panels with timed explosives in them????
                    no reason to give up while im still learning!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by triplefour; 08-23-2022, 11:18 PM.
                    Don't fear the repair...

Comment

My pin mask was off by 2 pins somehow! It was blocking rhe 7v. With that taken care of i get this "clear" picture but still with the bad sections.
                      Attached Files
                      Don't fear the repair...

Comment

I found that the points s12p, s12n were shorted to ground. I found that the short went away when I unplugged the board from the other one. I traced it to pin 42 on that connector which connects to pin 18 on the other connector which I had measured earlier as GND...which doesn't make a lot of sense...why should those points be grounded out? The black bar on the right side of the screen corresponds to s5p and s5n and those are also shorted to ground even when no other board is plugged in. So something is wrong in the COF5 area and I guess that traces to pin 18 which shouldn't be ground but is because of something in or around COF5, though none of the caps there are shorted to ground. I did the only thing I could think of and masked that pin 42, stopping it from connecting to pin18 and COF5 and stopping it from getting grounded out. The result is that the area in the previous picture that had the static has been replaced by a good picture. The static area has moved to being part of the 2 bar corruption at the far left of the screen. COF11 and COF12. Even though s12p and s12n are not shorted to ground anymore they still measure very low voltage like .05.
                        TESTOUT0-COF12 has 0.03v when most other COFS show 0.40 there. the other 2 points on COF12 are normal.
                        On COF11 the s11p and s11n have 0.42v like normal but TESTOUT0-COF11 is 0.03v just like on COF12.

I think it was COF10 that originally had the static but now it seem fine.

COF5 testout0 is only 0.30 when others are closer to 0.40. Other 2 points look fine but s5p and s5n are at 0.02v. That area of the screen can look like static or black depending on flexing that area of the board. Or at least it was like that before I masked pin 42. Now it just stays static. Strange behaviors! But I was able to get one more COF of picture!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by triplefour; 08-24-2022, 04:28 AM.
                        Don't fear the repair...

Comment

First, i don't take care of Nomoresonys posts that i usually skip because scarce technically, i don't any further comment its totally unuseful comments...
                          The tv... sorry i can't follow you in all the posts long, understand me but my limitations in language etc etc.. i only suggest you to remove all the suppressor diodes in the bad board called T1-14, and remove all maskings, then try, for a safety reason put them in another place in order like were you took from.. bye..

Comment

sorry but i have a real hard time understanding you. thanks anyway. sorry for my long posts. but this is my style of posting on this forum. i prefer MORE details not less. especially while i am learning. i am using this space to keep track of all these details, and re reading my posts helps me to remember what i did and what i saw.

i will try to do what you said and come back with results.
                            once again, thank you for trying to help!
                            Last edited by triplefour; 08-24-2022, 09:50 PM.
                            Don't fear the repair...

Comment

yep, I speak technical layman AND English, and I'm not a weirdo with offhand weirdo comments all the time, LIKE, HEY why no greeting or sum sad shit, like I said if you're lonely for greetings take it to twitter, this is a tv repair forum.

Comment

not much i have said... simply remove diodes marked from T1 to T14 off the bad board..

Comment

Oh NO, you didn't insult this member, who is always gracious and NEVER rude, with the BS posts of #49, #51 AND #54.

Comment

i have translated with google what i have written, no errors, so what you don't understand?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                      Oh NO, you didn't insult this member, who is always gracious and NEVER rude, with the BS posts of #49, #51 AND #54.
                                      i thank you for defending my honor, good sir! i really try to give people benefit of the doubt...i hope he doesnt mean anything rude by it! so i carry on as if he didnt even if he did :P
                                      Don't fear the repair...

Comment

i will try removing those components cause why not? oh and in other news, the other tv of this model i was talking about looking at...a 58" tho. UN58TU7000F to be exact. it also had panel problems like this one but i was able to fix it quite quickly by blocking almost all but not all of those 14 pins. i unblocked a couple of them because there were some horizontal lines and dimming but i was able to get that to go away by unblocking pins 6 and 7 if counting from the close end of the connector.
                                        Don't fear the repair...

Comment

Just to follow up on this post. I've had three of these in the last month now with the same issue. The TVs all ran with the ribbon cable disconnected so I began tearing ribbons off the panel and every one of them had some type of short in the panel in one or more areas. Here's a pic of one of them with the ribbon removed. All were in different areas. Cheap crap of a TV.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X