Newbie Soldering Surface Mount 6 PIN IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Soldering Surface Mount 6 PIN IC

Hi- I'm replacing a 6 pin IC on a Panny Plasma. The bottom is also soldered to the board. I have a small heat gun and am wondering what kind of solder to use for the mount of the new IC. I appreciate any and all feedback. I see some low temp stuff in a syringe, not sure if that is what I'm supposed to be using, don't want to damage the new IC.

Re: Newbie Soldering Surface Mount 6 PIN IC

Get some solder with a decent lead content and get some flux, the gloopy thick kind, it will help you no end. You might get away with using a fine tipped iron if you're not confident with an airgun.

Comment

I would remove the IC with hot air. Use an iron and braid to remove the old solder. A tiny bit of leaded solder paste on the pad under the IC and hot air to attach. Then use the iron and leaded solder to solder the legs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have the flux, I see many different specs on the solder paste. Is there one that works better then the other? I can use regular solder on the 6 legs, I'm more concerned with the bottom of the IC to the PC board interface. I don't want to cook the IC by getting it to hot. Again, I appreciate the feedback guys!

Comment

I just use some cheap stuff from China. Melts at about 180c.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
            X