No announcement yet.

Home iCloud hard drive devices which one actually works none work as advertised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home iCloud hard drive devices which one actually works none work as advertised

I have a Western Digital iCloud storage ( that actually work for the most part for what I was using it for ) that is not being supported anymore and the reviews on new devices I have read are terrible is there anything out there that actually works as advertised

Feedback wanted thanks
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-14-2022, 05:44 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Home iCloud hard drive devices which one actually works none work as advertised

What is it you're wanting to do ? It's a Westen Digital Cloud drive, there is no "i" in it.

Comment

Re: Home iCloud hard drive devices which one actually works none work as advertised

Okay are there any good choices that actually works as advertised because most of the reviews I have read so far are terrible I want to buy something that actually works out of the box and not have to call tech support and go through a bunch of nonsense
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

It's an external drive, what's the problem ? what doesn't work as advertised ?

Comment

whats in it, a red? a green? i always wondered what WD put in external housings.

Comment

Here is a review I copied from the Western Digital site that was written 9 months ago about one of their more successful cloud storage devices.

Western Digital will end support to your device
            The software will create problems over time; you need to have a high technical knowledge to get the most out of the device. The worst is investing time and money into the device and having WD end support because is no longer compatible with their security updates. Do not invest in this device. I advise you to build your own NAS (OpenMediaVault or FreeNAS) instead of buying this device; honestly, it is not that hard.

This review was written by afrf107 on the Western Digital Site for the My Cloud Pro Series PR4100 Part#: WDBNFA0000NBK-NESN
            Last edited by keeney123; 08-14-2022, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Okay how do you build your own NAS

Here is what I would like to do dump pictures off of the iPhone and save files off of the computer 3D drawing and slicer files and stuff like that

I do not want to use the iCloud I personally do not trust them and do not want someone else to control my data
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                It's an external drive, what's the problem ? what doesn't work as advertised ?
                From what I have read you can not either get the device to boot up or you can access your files or it destroys your hard drives or you just can not get it to work correctly I read a lot of these kinds of issues and more issues really
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                  Okay how do you build your own NAS

Here is what I would like to do dump pictures off of the iPhone and save files off of the computer 3D drawing and slicer files and stuff like that

I do not want to use the iCloud I personally do not trust them and do not want someone else to control my data
                  First, I gave you a name on a site that tells you it is easy. One might try to look up this person and ask them.

Comment

https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best...s-alternative/

Comment

Has anyone used Next-Cloud-21 before and you like it
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

forget the word "cloud" - it's just code for "somebody elses computer"
                        look at the review i posted

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          forget the word "cloud" - it's just code for "somebody elses computer"
                          That would contradict the premise of https://owncloud.com/ ...
                          I don't use it, however may have to use suites such as that to get caldav service...

Comment

Just get a NAS and allow web access.

Comment

Working...
                            X