• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP ENVY 17 Motherboard Short help please

��

Comment

See attached.

with care, lift up one leg (not yours) of PL16. This is to isolate the power supply and the consumer side (CPU / PCH).

After you have done this, meter in resistance mode -> check the resistance to ground of this PL16 but at the PCB PADS.

Which side of the PCB PADS has the short ?

Is it the producer (PU10) side ?

Is it the consumer (CPU/PCH) side ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        See attached.

with care, lift up one leg (not yours) of PL16. This is to isolate the power supply and the consumer side (CPU / PCH).

After you have done this, meter in resistance mode -> check the resistance to ground of this PL16 but at the PCB PADS.

Which side of the PCB PADS has the short ?

Is it the producer (PU10) side ?

Is it the consumer (CPU/PCH) side ?

PU10 side is ok.

CPU side shorted.

also still 3v rail short to ground

Comment

Is the 3VPCU shorted ?

That is created by PU11, pin # 5 = LDO.

Is PU11 still on the board ?

Comment

Is the 3VPCU shorted ?

That is created by PU11, pin # 5 = LDO.

Is PU11 still on the board ?
            Yes I soldered PU11 back. and one leg of PL16 is up.

3VPCU(LDO) ——-> still shorted

3v inductor also shorted

Comment

3v inductor also shorted
              Which one ? Is it PL18 ?

Comment

which one ? Is it pl18 ?
                pl21

Comment

Is PL21 lifted on one leg or soldered in ?

Lift on one leg to confirm which side is shorted.

Comment

Is PL21 lifted on one leg or soldered in ?

Lift on one leg to confirm which side is shorted.
                    Its soldered in. I will try to lift one leg and check in the morning. however I have a question.

please don't laugh. It just a thought.

according to schematics Inductor connects to SW pin. not to the vOut pin. So when we lift inductor leg up, is that enough

I thought we should release vOut pin. May be Im wrong. please correct.

Comment

We are only trying to isolate the blocks on the logic board. Yes, lifting the single coil is ok.

Suspecting that the IC @ PU11 is defective. Not sure about the CPU but it may be ok or defective. As noted in other threads, we thought we had a dead CPU with 0.9 to 1.0 ohms but the unit was working fine. Just a FYI.

Not sure about your case.

Comment

We are only trying to isolate the blocks on the logic board. Yes, lifting the single coil is ok.

Suspecting that the IC @ PU11 is defective. Not sure about the CPU but it may be ok or defective. As noted in other threads, we thought we had a dead CPU with 0.9 to 1.0 ohms but the unit was working fine. Just a FYI.

Not sure about your case.
                        nice to hear about that.

but last time, when I removed that chip, I tested the pins on that chip. as I remember, they were not shorted. may Be I can remove it and check if you want.

Comment

I know that we may get flamed for trying but if you shorted the +3VPCU to ground then you shunted this power rail down, not spiked it to a higher potential. That is my understanding of what transpired on your desk. That is, this regulator would possibly get hurt. So perhaps some hope. If the 1.05 volt rail got hit by something higher, then it is game over for this CPU/PCH.

If you are comfortable with it, consider to flux and remove this regulator. Believe it is a QFN (quad flat pack package) which are not that bad to rework.

Comment

I will remove it. I will need some time because Im away from the motherboard. will do and give you an update soon

Comment

I know that we may get flamed for trying but if you shorted the +3VPCU to ground then you shunted this power rail down, not spiked it to a higher potential. That is my understanding of what transpired on your desk. That is, this regulator would possibly get hurt. So perhaps some hope. If the 1.05 volt rail got hit by something higher, then it is game over for this CPU/PCH.

If you are comfortable with it, consider to flux and remove this regulator. Believe it is a QFN (quad flat pack package) which are not that bad to rework.
                              I removed 3v Regulator. Here is the resistance now.

2nd Mosfet gate to ground (19v rail) ———> no short now

3v inductor ——-> 0.1ohm

1.05v inductor pad (cpu side) ——> 0.1ohm

3vpcu (LDO) ——-> 1.3ohms (it was very low before)
                              Last edited by harshana; 08-19-2022, 11:22 PM.

Comment

For sure, replace PU11.

The cpu resistance looks too low for it to be ok but proceed to replace PU11 to test again at your discretion.

AliExpress should have these. You may want to order spare mosfets to replace the dcin mosfets. The same store should be able to source them as well.

Find a store with a high score to purchase the above.

Comment

That sounds great. let me try to find out the 3v regulator

Comment

Is it worth wasting time on this project as SOC is definitely dead at 0.1 Ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                                      Is it worth wasting time on this project as SOC is definitely dead at 0.1 Ohms.
                                      I also thought the same but still I try because the issue made by me. and also The thing I did is short 3v to ground which cant hurt the cpu as I knew. May be I was wrong.

Comment

Today I received the 3v step down regulator and I soldered it and tested. But unfortunately its heating within few seconds. May I ignore this project or continue? Whats your thoughts?

Comment

It was already said many times that the PCH, among a bunch of other components, is dead.
                                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                                          X