Cyberpower PR1500 won't charge battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cyberpower PR1500 won't charge battery

So glad I found this thread, and thanks to budm and everyone who replied with results. I am going to attempt the same repair of replacing C40 on my PR1500 and will report back. Hope my ham-handed soldering is up to the task!

Comment

Purchased another used PR2200 "parts only" UPS. It was putting out only 34 volts to the batteries, and replacing C40 and the other caps in the charging circuit brought that up to 54 volts. But the unit still is not operating (new batteries installed). On startup I get one short and 4 long beeps, and this repeats at intervals. Can't find diagnostic tone table in the service manual or on line. Suggestions?

Unit puts out the 54 volts to the batteries when plugged in, whether or not switched on. No AC voltage at the rear outlets. No signs of physical damage or scorching on the main board. All connections triple checked. All solder spots rechecked.

Comment

How about the LED indicators? What do they show? Batteries are fully charged?
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Batteries fully charged

1. depress power button; single beep
          2. all three columns of leds light except wiring fault led at top of column three
          3. column three goes out; columns one & two on with top load light yellow
          4. at same time as #3, 1 short and four long beeps
          5. all lights out; several second pause
          6. all lights on briefly, then right bank off
          7. one short & four long beeps
          repeat #5 to #7 indefinitely
          Last edited by jcharing; 11-19-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I moved this board into my original pr2200 (that one had a board fried beyond repair) in the hope that the issue was a transformer or other part of this "new" pr2200 that was off the main board. Got the same behavior and error tones. So the issue does appear to be somewhere on the main board itself. So the charging circuit is fixed but there is a second issue causing the unit not to power up.

Comment

Originally posted by jcharing View Post
              Batteries fully charged

1. depress power button; single beep
              2. all three columns of leds light except wiring fault led at top of column three
              3. column three goes out; columns one & two on with top load light yellow
              4. at same time as #3, 1 short and four long beeps
              5. all lights out; several second pause
              6. all lights on briefly, then right bank off
              7. one short & four long beeps
              repeat #5 to #7 indefinitely
              Could this be worn out MOVs from a frequent surge environment? The long beeps seem to indicate an overload condition.

Comment

I also replaced caps C40, C44, C45, and C47 in my PR1500 with the FR and FC series Panasonic caps from DigiKey as budm had mentioned previously. The unit is now charging the batteries again, and so far appears to be working properly. Strangely, the PowerPanel status shows the battery fluctuating between 89 and 91% charged after charging overnight, but all four battery level LEDs on the front panel are lit. The battery voltage reads 55.2V. All four batteries are brand new 8 Ah units.

Before I changed out the caps, the UPS was not only not charging the batteries, but it was discharging them slowly. By the time I found this happening, the battery voltage was in the low 40's (maybe 42v?), and I immediately shut it down and charged each battery individually with a BatteryMINDer charger until they reached the float charge stage. Maybe the discharge level damaged the new batteries such that they are no longer capable of maintaining full voltage? Any opinions on that?

My thanks again to budm for his expert guidance. I was not looking forward to spending another $400 on a new UPS, especially after having just invested $50 in new batteries for this one. A couple bucks to DigiKey and four cap replacements later, I'm back in business.

Comment

Originally posted by jcharing View Post
                  I moved this board into my original pr2200 (that one had a board fried beyond repair) in the hope that the issue was a transformer or other part of this "new" pr2200 that was off the main board. Got the same behavior and error tones. So the issue does appear to be somewhere on the main board itself. So the charging circuit is fixed but there is a second issue causing the unit not to power up.
                  If the battery voltage is too low, the unit doesn't power up for me. The battery pack should supply 48V. I had two wires reversed on one of the batteries, so I was supplying 24V, and my PR1500 would not power up. Fixed the bad connection and it's back to normal. What is the voltage on your battery pack?

Comment

Voltage from (and to) the battery pack is fine. The unit does power up. It's throwing the error tones and no output to the rear outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                      10 years? you'll be lucky if get 3~5 years.
                      What DC Voltage do you get at the wires (red and black) to the batteries without batteries connected, around 55VDC?
                      Agreed. battery life is about 3-5 years. Lucky if you get 6 or 7 years.

Comment

Somebody posted a request for (I assume) DigiKey/Mouser catalogue or Panasonic part numbers for the capacitors. Seems like a good idea, with lots of people with the same problem. It's been years since I've ordered a capacitor; took me quite a while to figure out which capacitors Panasonic FMs (and FC, etc.) are.

I have a PR2200 with the same problem. Called CyberPower; they said it's the batteries, so I bought new ones and then noticed no charging. (CyberPower also told me that there is no service manual; recent search found this site; wonderful!) I still haven't found C40 on the circuit diagram in the posted service manual. [But, I found it on the circuit board, which is what counts.]

The lead spacing for the C40 capacitor seems to be about 2.5mm. That means:
                        DigiKey P14413-ND / Panasonic EEU-FR1E101 or Mouser 667-EEU-FC1E101S / Panasonic EEU-FC1E101S. No?

Comment

Somebody posted a request for (I assume) DigiKey/Mouser catalogue or Panasonic part numbers for the capacitors. Seems like a good idea, with lots of people with the same problem. It's been years since I've ordered a capacitor; took me quite a while to figure out which capacitors Panasonic FMs (and FC, etc.) are.

I have a PR2200 with the same problem. Called CyberPower; they said it's the batteries, so I bought new ones and then noticed no charging. (CyberPower also told me that there is no service manual; recent search found this site; wonderful!) I still haven't found C40 on the circuit diagram in the posted service manual. [But, I found it on the circuit board, which is what counts.]

The lead spacing for the C40 capacitor seems to be about 2.5mm. That means:
                          DigiKey P14413-ND / Panasonic EEU-FR1E101 or Mouser 667-EEU-FC1E101S / Panasonic EEU-FC1E101S.

For the others...
                          DigiKey P15403-ND / Panasonic EEU-FR1J101L
                          DigiKey P19659-ND / Panasonic EEU-FC1H470H

Is the 20% tolerance on the capacitance close enough?

Comment

Re: Cyberpower PR1500 won't charge battery - Still a potato

Still a potato (doorstop).

I replaced the capacitors (C40, C44, C45, and C47) and put in fresh batteries - in my PR2200.

When I turn it on, one beep, all lights except wiring fault come on, then blink off twice, on for a second or so, the fan comes on (and the lights flicker a bit). Then, they all go out, and the fan goes off. Repeats indefinitely. Unplugging it while it's doing this causes all of the lights to go out, but the fan to run steadily.

Haven't figured out if it's actually charging the batteries; I THINK the voltage at the batteries was higher when I turned it on. [It's near a range boundary of the meter I used, and the capacitor that seems to be across the batteries (for what purpose?) interferes, and, it seems like the self-test failure should be more informative - except that we don't seem to be able to find any documentation on what the beeps and blinking lights mean. The owner's manual says what the lights and beeps mean once it gets past self-test, but has nothing about self-test failure.

What I'd like to know: Is there a correct service manual? [For example, the part numbers in the manual that's posted in this forum have no relation to what's on the circuit board, at least for the charging circuit. -In the diagram, no C40, C44, etc... On the circuit board, the rectifier bridge near the little transformer in the upper left corner is D30. In the circuit diagram, that part seems to be D17.] And, the manual itself is internally inconsistent: On page 13, it has a table of parts/places to measure resistances, supposedly in the inverter section. But, those numbers correspond to parts in the charging section. (And the manual seems to be only for 230V versions.)

Anybody?

Comment

are you sure the batteries are good?
                              i can show you 20 or so 17 ah ups batts on my recycling pile that are 12.9v but crash to 0 with a tink of the meter hitting the 0 stop of the meter on my cheap 50a cheese grater type tester.
                              the unit may be powering up fine but the battery voltage drops to nothing as soon as it tries to start the inverter for a power on test.

Comment

The batteries are new - and the voltage for the four batteries at the UPS is about 50V (with the UPS plugged in or not).

Comment

Originally posted by CamilliLa View Post
                                  The batteries are new - and the voltage for the four batteries at the UPS is about 50V (with the UPS plugged in or not).
                                  Is that the reading without load connected? You need to load the batteries to check the Voltage under load.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Reading this thread from the start , while taking in consideration some of those cyberpower exceeded ten years of service , lead me to two options , the boards should be checked for weakening solder points , and then a full re-solder is a must , as well as checking the resistances over 1 watt . .

The other option is considering there is one faulty battery among the new ones ...

Comment

or 10 years of 24/7 service has killed all the lytics.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                        or 10 years of 24/7 service has killed all the lytics.
                                        Definitely .. 10 Years of non stop use is surely something different .

Comment

hello, found this forum after searching. my PP1500swt4 popped after plugging back into the wall from replacing the battery. I've found this

thermistor repair possible/ costly?
                                          Unit works except it won't keep a charge. it charges up and a day later it's dead.
                                          tia,
                                          parker
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-13-2022, 03:59 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Working...
                                          X