Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oppo BDP-83 Tray stuck in open

Hey folks,

Oppo BDP-83. I got it with the tray stuck open. When you plug it in and turn it on you can hear it trying, and the motor pushes it out a few milimeters and then retracts it back a few milimeters. The gives an Oppo Blu-Ray splash screen.

I tried updating the firmware with a USB stick which worked. It read the contents of the USB stick and performed the update flawlessly. It didn't change anything in the tray status though.

Any ideas on where to start? Only other tray loader I've ever attempted was a Sega CD when I was 15 and that didn't end with a working Sega CD. I would really like to fix this one and feed it to my projector.

Cheers,
    Alex

Re: Oppo BDP-83 Tray stuck in open

Nothing, guys? Should I just open it up and see if there is anything immediately obviously wrong with the motor or something?

Comment

Originally posted by withalligators View Post
      Nothing, guys? Should I just open it up and see if there is anything immediately obviously wrong with the motor or something?
      That would be a good start...

Sounds like a mostly mechanical problem. Look for something stuck in the mechanism or out of place or perhaps a faulty limit switch or something that tells it the position of the tray.

Comment

Well, I finally sat down to open this up and give it a shot. Holy moly, has it been modded by the previous user. Not sure what the mods are for but I'd bet it's a regional unlock, high quality stereo output, and better power deliver. But, I'm not sure. If I can get it running I'll post pics to see what you guys think.

About the tray stuck issue, it is indeed mechanical. After puzzling how to reset it to full close, and finally getting it, I find out the tray isn't fully opening or under the power of the motor. Power wasn't transferring from the motor to the step up gear on the belt. Taking it off, I find out it's got a enough teeth ground down in one area to create a dead spot.

I tried opening up a SATA dvd drive in a junk computer but the gear was not compatible. Any idea where I can find a replacement? I'd hate to scrap such a wonderful machine on a 10 cent piece.

Cheers
        Alex

Comment

Well, I sort of fixed it. I cut a small amount off the small, cogged end and shimmed it down with some thin washers from the top. There seemed to be enough teeth left down there for solid geared contact.

Anyway, now it's got a new weird problem. The magnet that is in the center of the disk holder (?), spindle (?), or whatever, that connects to the teflon/plastic covered thing on top of the drive when the tray is closed is so strong that when the tray is told to open it can't break free of the magnet. It tries for a few seconds and then it gives up and shuts again.

I put a small piece of electrical tape over the magnet to lessen the force needed to break contact. This mostly works but not always, but it also causes the drive to not always read disks. and you have to flip the player upside down to get it to make contact. Any ideas? I thought a tighter rubber band / belt driving the door open might help but it seems pretty tight already.

At this point I may look for a new drive entirely for the player but I also can't find that.

Also, check out this modding, and tell me what you think it's for... Those switches especially.

Last edited by withalligators; 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Try one of these....
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MECHANIS...item541fd2233a

They sell the replacement on E-Bay. Must be a really good unit, they go for big $$

Comment

shops for model makers sell gears.
              so do some big electronics suppliers

Comment

Actually, Oppo said they'd send me one.
                I already have that drive saved in my watch list in case I can't do better. I'd like the whole drive with opening mechanism as well, but I doubt that will happen. It also doesn't won't spool up sometimes when you put a disk in it sometimes. and it randomly dropped sound once last night over HDMI. Weird. Think a new laser unit will solve that or think it's just bunked?

Comment

hard to tell from that description.
                  what does the disc do when the tray closes - presuming you can see it?

Comment

Working...
                  X