MacBook 12" 820-00244 famous SSD issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook 12" 820-00244 famous SSD issue

I have an 2016 12" MacBook here which does not recognise the ssd most of the boots and if does once upon a time it usually does not complete the boot.

I wanted to benefit from your experience:

It is 2016 and not the longish 2015 CPU. I can not clearly see that is warped.

Would you check anything else before attempting a reball / replace of the cpu ?

And, as a less important side question: Could I install an m7 on a board that came with m3 ?

best regards

Re: MacBook 12" 820-00244 famous SSD issue

2015, 2016 and 2017 12" all have the same CPU issue. Pointless to try to fix them as you can't fix the design issue. If you need data, and only if you need data, heat the CPU area for a couple of minutes at 200°C and use Target Disk Mode.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

It's a problem of loosen/oxidated solder balls of the CPU.
      If you reball this CPU with lead solder, then it might be fixed, or not?

Comment

it might be better with leaded solder but one day in 1 - 4 years the problem may return. It is just a poor thermal design.

Comment

heating does not really help it. the funny thing is that the person that gave tha 12ie to me has all data but wants to use the machine again despite my explanations that the problem will most probably return.

Just wanted to see if anyone had a hint what to check else before taking off the cpu

Comment

Working...
          X