Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series PSU help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series PSU help

G'day Members. This is my first post in a long time, I have been reading these posts since 2012. I'm an older bugger but I like to fix things.

My project is a PC PSU, not a monitor. Before I post any pictures, I wanted to ask whether it would be OK to ask for help here as this is a PSU.

I do not know any other place where I could have service like you give to so many in this forum.

Whatever you answer be I'll appreciate and still love you.

John
    Last edited by bigjohn22; 01-14-2020, 04:40 AM.

Re: I Need Help With a Project But I'll Ask If You Can Help Me

Post the problem in this thread Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
    Post pictures, Make and Model etc.

Comment

R J, Thank you for your reply.

The PSU is a Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series. I do not so gaming, but some CAM, CAD as a hobby.

The unit died, I turned the PC and nothing, no fan no light. I took it out and connected the green and black on the ATX connector and plugged the unit to the mains, tested every pin on the connector, they were all dead and the fan not spinning.

Now I disassembled, desoldered and cut some wires to remove switches and do some tests. The fuse's reading goes up and down and settles to zero no the meter at 200k oms. The two SM resistors next to the fuse are apparently dead, there is no reading. probably because they are still mounted.

The fuse was shrouded with shrinking tube.

I only have a AU$20 multi meter from Jcar shop. For what I do I think it's enough.

If can be fixed I'll be very happy If not I would have learned something else in life.

Thank you for your amazing wealth of knowledge.

John
      Attached Files

Comment

Can someone please transfer my tread to Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design?

Thank you

John

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohn22 View Post
          Can someone please transfer my tread to Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design?

Thank you

John
          Consider it done .
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Re: Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series PSU help

Sanks SMDFlea.

Comment

Any one? Please!

Is there anything else you need about this PSU?

Do I need to re post?
              Last edited by bigjohn22; 01-16-2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

The resistance readings for the fuse should not "jump" at all. You should get a solid LOW resistance reading, instead. Low, as in whatever your meter can display on the lowest resistance scale (typically 200 Ohms for manual-ranging multimeters) when its test probes are shorted to one another - so no more than 1-3 Ohms, really.

If the fuse is good... then let's start with the simple things first:

1) With the PSU plugged into the wall, check if you get any voltage on the 5VSB rail. That is, measure voltage between 5VSB (purple) and ground (black) wires. You should get about 5V DC (+/- 5% variation acceptable, provided your multimeter is accurate.)

2) If test #1 above fails to produce any voltage, check voltage across the pins on the big cap on the primary side. WARNING: THIS INVOLVES MEASURING HIGH LIVE VOLTAGE. For this test, you will likely need to have the PSU PCB out of the case and flipped upside down. Make sure the PCB is placed on a non-conductive and flame-resistant surface (wood OK). Avoid touching any heatsinks or metal parts of the PSU while doing this test (the primary-side heatsinks MAY BE LIVE!) The voltage across the big cap should read about 320-340V DC for you in Australia (for the rest of you folks reading this with 110-120V AC mains, that should be 160-170V DC). If PS-ON (green) wire is shorted to ground (black) on the ATX connector, that voltage should go up to about 380V (+/-10V). Make sure you do have some kind of a load on the output of the PSU, though, or it may not turn On. An old hard drive or two (or some 12V DC fans) may be just enough. Some PSUs won't try to turn on, unless they have a good load, such as that from a motherboard. So if bad comes to worse, see if you have a spare motherboard you wouldn't mind use for testing.

Please post back details what results you get back from these tests.

If I had to guess at any faults...
                I see Teapo capacitors on the output. Those aren't the worst capacitor brand out there, but they do fail often enough that none of us here consider them as "good". Depending on the results you get above, I suspect you may have either bad caps on the 5VSB rail or on one or more of the output rails, preventing the PSU from turning On. Just remember this: capacitors don't have to be bulging to be bad.

On that note, another test you can do when you encounter a PSU or other device (that is acting up) with caps from a cheap/bad brand: use a hair driyer to heat the device and then see if it works. If it does, more than likely you have caps that are starting to get marginal (if not outright failed.)
                Last edited by momaka; 01-17-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Hi momaka,

Thank you for extensive and clear reply.

At you moment I have the unit disassembled; cut and disoldered wires, to test switches and have more room to disolder the fuse and do tests. I'll put it back together and carry out the tests you have suggested to me. I'll take a little while but willing to do it.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again

John

Comment

G'day guys,
                    It took me all Monday morning on the pone to find a place that stock SM resistors. I got some this afternoon, but when I check them at home they had the wrong multiplier, instead of being 474 they were 473, 47k instead of 470k. Have to wait till Thursday to change them.
                    I have a fuse that has no pigtails. Can I use it if I solder wires to the ends or they would disolder with heat? There are slow and fast blow. Which one are recommended?
                    Capacitors: What brands would you recommend? “Teapo capacitors on the output” Could you be able to show me on the attached picture which ones are they? Are they the ones close to the long wires?
                    At the moment the board is out of the case. I cut and disoldered wires to remove switches and fuse to test them, so I have to replace the resistors and fuse first, then put it together to power it on and carry on with the tests you suggest. (I'll be extremely careful) I don't want to be electrocuted.
                    I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series PSU help. Success. Done.

G'day guys.

Today is a happy day for me. I put together the unit and tested it loaded with two HDDs. one Sata and one IDE. I also tested without loading. The fan was spinning and lit up, the two HDDs were spinning and I got the following voltages on the ATX connector:

Purple 6
                      Blue 12
                      Red 6
                      Yellow 12
                      Grey 4
                      Orange 4

Before everything was dead. The PC did not fire up and when tested the PSU, outside the computer, all was dead. I almost took it to the recyclers.

I'm very pleased and grateful to momaka.

King Regards and Thanks.

John

Comment

Re: Corsair Gs 600 Gaming Series PSU help. Success. Done.

G'day guys.

Purple 6
                        Blue 12
                        Red 6
                        Yellow 12
                        Grey 4
                        Orange 4

John
                        purple (5vsb rail) should be 5v, red (5v rail) should be 5v and orange (3.3v rail) should be 3.3v.

Comment

Is that too bad? Could it be caps playing up? How can I test my multimeter is accurate?
                          Last edited by bigjohn22; 01-27-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Is that too bad? Could it be caps playing up? How can I test my multimeter is accurate?
                            if we assume you meter is accurate, that voltage is wayyy to high and risking your hardware.
                            Max voltage allowed is 5% for each rail.

Just buy or borrow other multimeter from your friend or somebody to make sure.

Comment

I'll look into it.

Thank you.

Comment

Feedback,
                                I tested a spare Dell 305 W PSU and all the voltages are spot on. That means something is very wrong with the Corsair. So, back to square one. What's next? I haven't got a clue how to fix it.

John

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  I see Teapo capacitors on the output. Those aren't the worst capacitor brand out there, but they do fail often enough that none of us here consider them as "good". Depending on the results you get above, I suspect you may have either bad caps on the 5VSB rail or on one or more of the output rails, preventing the PSU from turning On. Just remember this: capacitors don't have to be bulging to be bad.

On that note, another test you can do when you encounter a PSU or other device (that is acting up) with caps from a cheap/bad brand: use a hair driyer to heat the device and then see if it works. If it does, more than likely you have caps that are starting to get marginal (if not outright failed.)
                                  Voltage out of range is little bit tricky.

it can be raise fail resistor in secondary side, and/or bad capacitor.
                                  But i suggest, you follow momaka trick.
                                  Use hair dryer to capacitor, and look the voltage.
                                  If the voltage became normal after heated, the it must be capacitor.

If it's not, then try to check all resistor value include smd.

Comment

Thanks mate

Comment

G'day again guys.

I finally did some tests on the PSU. Pics attached.
                                      Here are the results:

Cold Test Hot Test
                                      Blue -12.15 -12.16
                                      Purple 5.19 5.21
                                      Red 5.16 5.19
                                      Yellow 12.17 12.22
                                      Orange 3.4 3.41
                                      Grey 5.16 3.13 (Is it very bad?)

These tests were loaded with tow HDD. I have not tested the large cap. I have a lot of respect for it.

The grey wire apparently connects from behind with the chip next to the big, white, ceramic (I think resistor) That's as far as I could trace it.

I have not the slightest clue how to continue. But if you guys want to take me by the hand I'm all for it.

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards

John
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by bigjohn22; 02-16-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Anyone, please.

Comment

Working...
                                        X