• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Civic ECU

Hi,

Anybody know if auto ECUs are subject to cap failure

Have Honda Civic EX 2006 135k miles.
    For the last 18 months its had a starting problem, sometimes it will start first time, other times it requires 4 or 5 attempts. It always starts, just has to be "coaxed"
    Problem is the same hot or cold.
    Shows no trouble codes using my ODB scanner.
    Took it to large local Honda dealer, still no trouble codes.
    They had it for a day and a half. Checked the battery, replaced earth straps and tested a whole bunch of sensors.
    Even sent live data feed to Honda HQ in California, no progress.
    Honda HQ says try replacing the ECU computer module. Had to take the car back before they tested with replacement ECU. They will test it when we can spare the car.
    If I need to replace the ECU, is it something that is worth opening looking for bad caps.

Al.

Re: Honda Civic ECU

The automatic transmission controller ECU in my Volvo gave hard shifts due to bad capacitors.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...454b32814d58af

The caps looks perfect, no bulging or swelling, but every one was knackered. Repair was easy, swapped in new caps!

Chris...

Comment

My Jeep computer had bad caps in it. I would assume all of those car electronics are made with junk caps.

Comment

Probably wouldn't hurt to look at some of the honda forums to see if others have been experiencing the same problem.

Comment

Actually, every car ECU I've ever worked on has had very GOOD caps. Ni's, Panasonic, Ruby's - stuff like that. Even the cheaper, crappy cars I've worked on (think Daewoo, Dacia, etc etc) had decent caps under the panels.

I guess when a device costs $10,000+ and you have to warranty it, it really doesn't pay to use TEAPO or SU'CON.

Of course, even decent caps can fail!

Chris...

Comment

My Jeep TJ had junk in it!

Comment

Originally posted by twbranch View Post
              My Jeep TJ had junk in it!
              American cars; designed by a committee of accountants.

Chris...

Comment

i see lots of cap failures in automotive electronics.
                last week i fixed a friends cluster from her impala ss.speedometer was dim.i noticed it 2 years ago.yep bad caps that got sharply worse.i thought the vfd was dieing off.
                was easier than the optispark i rebuilt on it.

Comment

On the Euro cars I normally work on, soldering can be a problem. Certain years of Volvo's, have a 70% failure rate of the dash information module from dry joints and crappy lead free solder. A re-flow with some fresh solder usually does the trick.

The only North American cars I've ever worked on are Saturns and no electrical problems yet... Just literally everything else.

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by turbozutek View Post

The only North American cars I've ever worked on are Saturns and no electrical problems yet... Just literally everything else.
                    Saturns seem fine to me. With the cars, just watch out for the SOHC 1.9s.

The SOHC versions, the base version of the 1.9 motor, reportedly are prone to head issues. The DOHCs seem to be better.

How to tell if it's a DOHC or SOHC?:

If the red line of the tach is less then 6,000 RPM, it's probably the SOHC version.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Off topic, but it's an ECOTEC (so dual cam). Steering pump driven from Cam, prone to timing chain failure, garbage. Problems finding parts and the subframes like to rust; especially here in Canada. Quality Mexican steel.

So yeah I really miss the Volvos, Mercs and BMW's I used to drive when I lived in the UK.

/Back to Honda ECU's.

Chris...

Comment

Once it starts, do you have any problems?

My sister had random failures back around 1987 (wouldn't start, and engine would die with no warning, even when warm).

It was bad soldering (German fuel injection module, 1978 Datsun 810 4-door sedan, automatic gearbox. They used the 2.4 liter engine from the 240Z).

Comment

anyone get their hands dirty and check under the hood yet?look for things like fuel pressure,spark,injecter pulse,ect.
                          iirc it was a nissan xterra i bought as a flipper that was real hard to start.had a bad fuel pump and check valve.would lose its prime and take many attempts to get enough pressure to start.this offered no codes either.sorry but you cant always fix it with a scantool.

Comment

Originally posted by almoodie View Post

Have Honda Civic EX 2006 135k miles.
                            For the last 18 months its had a starting problem, sometimes it will start first time, other times it requires 4 or 5 attempts. It always starts, just has to be "coaxed"
                            Sounds more like a lawn mower than a recent model EFI engine.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have a friend with his own Nissan business. in the past i have rebuilt absolutely loads of throttle bodies for him from the Mark 2 micra's. there are no faulty caps but the problem has always been dry solder joints on the same particular joints. its a simple fix as this video shows. dont forget to clear the stored fault code if the management lamp came on
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW3KYDbXwog

Comment

all honda obd1 ecu's have a cap that fails and burns the board - it's near a big diode.
                                if i had any 90's honda ecu's i'd recap them before they burn.

Comment

Being a 2006 model I would suggesting ignition switch or main relay (responsible for fuel pump and starter)

Do you get anything when you try to start? any dash lights? any clicking from starter? or just completely dead?

sadly an old thread and OP never came back with what happened so we can learn...

Comment

my accord 96 DX auto had 2 bad caps.. you can barely see the leak on the nichikons.
                                    symptoms: take 2 to 10 mins for fuel pump relay to turn on.

on older 91 hondays the main relay had a bad solder joint on 2 pins usually.

or the distributor pickup coils aka trigger coils it had bad insulation inside that gave way less resistance and thus no signal received by igniter once it warmed up.
                                    simple test for this issue was to cool distributor with a ice cold wet towel on metal of it.
                                    lol i did it for a guy at 7-11 and he drove to the mech shop witha big cup of ice and a old tshirt lol

Comment

Working...
                                    X