X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Nichicon HZ series with H05xx date codes

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    Those XFX 7000/8000 cards almost ALWAYS had bad caps. I had next door neighbor over a decade ago with three of them
    Yeah, XFX really liked to use those crappy GSC/Evercon/Sacon caps on many (but not all) of their 6000, 7000, and 8000 series of cards. In the case of the bad Nichicon HZ I showed, though - that was a "recycled" cap I scavenged from a dead Xbox 360 motherboard. The whole point was to note that 2005-made Nichicon HZ are fairly unstable and like to go bad, but 2006 and newer aren't (at least not yet. )

Comment

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

"SI" cap, IIRC:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=3149
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Okay, here is my contribution. A few years ago I used a Motorola power supply that was from a retires base-station police band radio. I used it to build a 20amp power supply to run some of my radio gear.
        I walked into the shack one day and I could smell something burning. I looked around but did not really see anything. No visible smoke. I noticed this power supply was off. I could tell this was where the stink was emanating from. I just took it out of service, set it aside and used another power supply.
        I pulled it out and removed the cover today and this is what I found. It about burned my shack down. If it was not inside a metal case I built it might have!! Enjoy!
        Attached Files

Comment

Look like the cause was something other than the caps. I think Nichicon discontinued the PL series something like 15 years ago, so they had a pretty long life.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            Look like the cause was something other than the caps. I think Nichicon discontinued the PL series something like 15 years ago, so they had a pretty long life.
            Concur.

Actually, I do have a theory of what might have happened there. Being that old, those Nichicon probably had deteriorated rubber seals at such age. If at some point the PSU was "bumped" or exposed to slightly stronger vibration, that could have caused some electrolyte to leak out. Moreover, the PL series are somewhat similar to the PR series of that age in that they both used the quaternary ammonium salt in their electrolyte. Now, the PR series were actually pretty well-known for leaking electrolyte from their bungs after a number of years. PL, on the other hand, not anywhere near as often.

So basically, I'm speculating here that these Nichicon PL caps started to leak a little bit of electrolyte on the PCB. Since electrolyte is quite corrosive, it probably started eating traces away. Over time, it could have caused a weak or bad connection somewhere. On top of that, electrolyte is also conductive and flammable too. So if you have a weak connection and you add a conductive agent to it (possible source of spark or heat generation) that's also flammable... I think that might explain how the small inferno happened inside the PSU. Or does that sound like a big tinfoil hat theory?

And in any case, the big question is: why didn't the PSU's protection circuitry shut it down?
            All in all, that PSU doesn't look like a cheapo no-name dubious brand. But perhaps it just lacks/lacked modern protections (aside from maybe complete short-circuit)?
            Last edited by momaka; 01-09-2022, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Kaboomf.

Nichicon HM caps from the Optiplex I'm fixing. Don't mind the odd camera angles.
              Attached Files

Comment

The caps are over 19 years old, was the MB in use the whole time?
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I believe it was taken out of service many years ago. I don't have much info on it but if I had to guess it was put into storage after it blew a cap or two.

Comment

HMs (and HNs) from the early 2000s are known to be flaky. 2005 and later are usually fine, as are 1990s.

Comment

Yeh, this PC is from 2002 so it's within the bad caps era for that series.

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishDiesel View Post
                        Yeh, this PC is from 2002 so it's within the bad caps era for that series.
                        Yep, can confirm 2002 on the caps.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Motorola quantar repeater supplies burn up just like that.
                          And its leaking electrolyte that set it off.
                          I recap them on sight.
                          Just did one for a uhf p25 system i am putting on the air.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Concur.

Actually, I do have a theory of what might have happened there. Being that old, those Nichicon probably had deteriorated rubber seals at such age. If at some point the PSU was "bumped" or exposed to slightly stronger vibration, that could have caused some electrolyte to leak out. Moreover, the PL series are somewhat similar to the PR series of that age in that they both used the quaternary ammonium salt in their electrolyte. Now, the PR series were actually pretty well-known for leaking electrolyte from their bungs after a number of years. PL, on the other hand, not anywhere near as often.

So basically, I'm speculating here that these Nichicon PL caps started to leak a little bit of electrolyte on the PCB. Since electrolyte is quite corrosive, it probably started eating traces away. Over time, it could have caused a weak or bad connection somewhere. On top of that, electrolyte is also conductive and flammable too. So if you have a weak connection and you add a conductive agent to it (possible source of spark or heat generation) that's also flammable... I think that might explain how the small inferno happened inside the PSU. Or does that sound like a big tinfoil hat theory?

And in any case, the big question is: why didn't the PSU's protection circuitry shut it down?
                          All in all, that PSU doesn't look like a cheapo no-name dubious brand. But perhaps it just lacks/lacked modern protections (aside from maybe complete short-circuit)?

Comment

Some caps for you guys:

Pic 1: Cambridge Audio 15,000uf 63v causing dc error suspect voltage collapses because of these…..

Pic 2: Nichicons out of a Bose thing causing no power, all SMD caps had to be replaced in the device too as you can see.

Pic 3: Enercon capacitors out of a H&K mass thing, whole lot of supply caps replaced.

Pic 4: DENON RCDM41 lots of weird issues with this one. A bodge yes I didn’t have the values and was stumped on this device for a while. Quite a few of the mainboard SMDs had 20 plus ohms so I replaced them. The fault ended up being a tiny passive filter on the power supply being somehow semi open circuit
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 03-08-2022, 01:00 PM.
                            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Spot the fake cap too!
                              Attached Files
                              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                Motorola quantar repeater supplies burn up just like that.
                                And its leaking electrolyte that set it off.
                                I recap them on sight.
                                Just did one for a uhf p25 system i am putting on the air.
                                Cool, thanks for sharing.
                                So it was the electrolyte, as I suspected.
                                Perhaps Nichicon PL series are to be avoided/removed as well - at least at this age now. The PR series sure do like to leak from the bottom.

BTW, glad to see you're back! Been a while since you posted on BCN. Hope you were well all this time.

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                                Some caps for you guys:

Pic 1: Cambridge Audio 15,000uf 63v causing dc error suspect voltage collapses because of these…..
                                Looks like a "high-end" amplifier... yet full of Xunda (and other?) crap caps.
                                Sad. :|

Pic 2: Nichicons out of a Bose thing causing no power, all SMD caps had to be replaced in the device too as you can see.
                                Running too hot, perhaps?? Otherwise, why would those Nichicon's die?

Pic 4: DENON RCDM41 lots of weird issues with this one. A bodge yes I didn't have the values and was stumped on this device for a while. Quite a few of the mainboard SMDs had 20 plus ohms so I replaced them. The fault ended up being a tiny passive filter on the power supply being somehow semi open circuit
                                Hey if it works, it works. I see Nichicon PW, so it's not a total bodge.

Spot the fake cap too!
                                The Nichicon FW maybe? IIRC, those are gold with black writing, no?

Comment

The PL and PR series were discontinued long ago, casualties of RoHS. The reconstituted the PL series as the PM series, and due to customer demand brought back the PR series as the PS series. I know they did more changes to the PS series than than just making it RoHS-compliant. So the newer series probably have an electrolyte other than the one(s) that caused problems.
                                  PeteS in CA

Comment

Scatronics? The jokes really do write themselves.

That being said, this amp is filled with them and there's no external signs of failure on any of them...I suppose there's a chance they're all still healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by bazzle592 View Post
                                      Scatronics? The jokes really do write themselves.

That being said, this amp is filled with them and there's no external signs of failure on any of them...I suppose there's a chance they're all still healthy.

Caps can fail with no visible signs.
                                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                        Caps can fail with no visible signs.
                                        Yeah.. I've dealt with enough G-Luxon to watch out for that. The slo-blow fuse immediately popped when I powered it up; I guess I'll start the troubleshooting process with testing with these charming caps. Best case scenario is a shorted filter cap, worst case is I buy a LM3876's for a couple of bucks. There's nothing to this little amp.

Comment

I've been trying to get my office (other bedroom) so taking my stored computers in the closet cleared out so I can make room for a metal book shelf

I found my grandmother (rip) computer and wanted to see if it would boot, I did and like three seconds after post the screen went black and a heard a hissing getting louder and knew that smell and pulled the plug asap.

Dell Vostro 2200 (core 2)
                                          Hipro psu
                                          Attached Files
                                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                          X