Samsung smart tv bad power board BN44-0503A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung smart tv bad power board BN44-0503A

Hello, got Samsung smart tv with bad power board BN44-00503A, diagnosed bad MOSFET F13NM60N (QP801S) and 5A fuse, after replacing both, replaced mosfet burned out immediately, fuse is ok, maybe somebody knows what can be checked prior trying one more?

Attached Files
    Last edited by xfox; 06-14-2021, 10:40 PM.

Re: Samsung smart tv bad power board BN44-0503A

Looks like also burned two resistors one RP810 (68 Ohm) and RP809 (30 Ohm)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xfox; 06-14-2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Remove MOSFET QP801S, then:

Check all the components off the "gate" of QP801S, replace components as needed.

The PFC Control IC (ICP801S) may be shorted.

Check capacitors CP818 and 819 for short

Check diodes DP802, DP803, DP808 for short, and that they don't reverse bias.

Check Rectifier Diode BD801S on the DC side for shorts, for a good diode reading on all 4 terminals and that it does not reverse bias. When checking for a good diode reading expect the + and - diode reading to be about .9 instead of .4 to .6.

Let us know what you find.

I just repaired a BN44-00502A which is similar to yours
      They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

So what I did, I replaced resistors RP810 and RP810 and QP801S, after that board not exploded and LED light started to blink (5 times double blinks), nothing on backlights connector (0V), checked backlight with LED tester, looks good and working
        mainboard connector:
        PIN14 (Power On_off): 3,2V
        PIN12 (A5V): 5V

CP818 and CP819 - no short
        DP802, DP803, DP808 - no short, reverse ok
        BD801S no short, shows 0.555 one way only (soldered)

ICP801S - not sure how to check
        PIN6 - PIN7 - 29 Ohm
        PIN5 -PIN7 - 76 Ohm
        PIN5-PIN6 - 47.6 Ohm

One more thing, had no proper resistors, so used 68Ohms to replace 30Ohm (2x68Ohm parallel connected so got 34 Ohms)
        )
        Attached Files

Comment

What voltage do get on the main capacitor when you try to turn on the TV?

We're reaching the limit of the help I'll be able to give you on this power supply. I'm no ace tech, but since I just repaired a similar board I thought I'd try to at least help with what I learned.

Check the quality of your solder joints, and check all the solder joints on any item attached to a heat sink. Look for ring cracks in the solder joints upon these items. It sounds to me like the PFC circuit isn't boosting the voltage. If you used flux to solder the items you replaced make sure it's all cleaned off the board.

I missed some flux/residue on mine and it was causing similar problems, my TV turned off and gave 2 blinks then wouldn't turn on at all until I thoroughly cleaned all the flux off the board. It's been aces ever since.

Comment

Nothing on main capacitor, all looks ok

Comment

Originally posted by xfox View Post
              The only other item I know of that may be deficient is the PFC IC, but I hasten to suggest you replace it as I think you would be doing so without knowing for sure if it's actually bad. I still don't know how to test them. They survive shorted MOSFETs about 70% of the time. Mine was OK on my 00502A power supply.

I apologize but we've reached the limit of my knowledge. Can anyone else step in here and take over? Any further suggestions by me would only be guesswork and I'd really like to see this poster get the right answers and get this fixed.

Comment

Wish I could help you more.

Comment

If you have "nothing"(no voltage) on the main filter, your main fuse is likely open. But this can not be the case if you have A5V standby voltage.
                  Recheck the voltage across the main filter cap CP814S, Then check the voltage across CS805, Then check the voltages on QS801 (using hot ground) QS801 supplies the PFC_VCC to ICP801S (around 16 volts)
                  Last edited by R_J; 06-17-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    If you have "nothing"(no voltage) on the main filter, your main fuse is likely open. But this can not be the case if you have A5V standby voltage.
                    Recheck the voltage across the main filter cap CP814S, Then check the voltage across CS805,
                    Thanks for jumping in there R_J

Comment

CP814S - 163v
                      CS805 - switching from 14v to around 19.5v
                      QS801 - same as CP814 163v

Comment

CP814S - 163v
                        CS805 - switching from 14v to around 19.5v
                        QS801 - same as CP814 163v
                        163v across the main cap indicates the board is either not turned ON or the pfc circuit is not working. Is the main board connected? if it is, disconnecting it should force the power supply ON.

CS805 should be on the collector of QS801, this should be a small smd transistor. The base of qs805 is controlled by the optocoupler PC802S It turns on QS802s which acts like a switch and a regulator, it supplies about 16 volts on its emitter if it is working (power supply ON)
                        Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Tried disconnecting, same measurements

Comment

Tried disconnecting, same measurements
                            What are you using for ground when making these measurements ? 163v on QS801 is impossible. If this is the case ICP801S would be completely blown off the board! because the ic can only handle about 20v on it's vcc pin
                            Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Marked ground on attached photo with blue
                              Attached Files

Comment

Marked ground on attached photo with blue
                                You used the correct hot ground but you are checking the wrong transistor, Check QS801 NOT QP801
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Oh, sorry... So voltage is 13.25V without main board connected and switching from 13.25 to 19v with main board
                                  Last edited by xfox; 06-22-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Oh, sorry... So voltage is 13.25V without main board connected and switching from 13.25 to 19v with main board
                                    I only see one voltage reported, last time I looked these transistors have 3 pins, Emitter, Base & Collector
                                    Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2021, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Voltage on picture, so it's switching from one to another, looks like main board is trying to reset itself
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Voltage on picture, so it's switching from one to another, looks like main board is trying to reset itself
                                        This why we disconnect the main board, the power supply should turn ON with the main board disconnected, this will eliminate the main board as the cause of the problem.
                                        with the main board disconnected, the PS_ON line will be taken high to A5V by the pull up resistor, this will turn on QQ852 which also turns on PC902S, the output of PC802s will turn on QS801 and supply a constant (14v) to the pfc icp801s.
                                        If the PFC circuit is indeed working you will get around 385VDC across CP814s
                                        Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X