Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor TK ATWY Replacement for ECS RS780M-M3 Motherboard

Hi all.

Just joined and looking for some capacitor assistance. I am new at this so please bear with me ....

I have an ECS RS780M-M3 motherboard and the brown ATWY caps are bulging and the board has become unstable. Caps say 6.3v and 1000uF. But I have some confusion Picture attached.

This link ATWY Reference says the size is 10x16mm. Measuring them myself I get 8x12mm (Still on the board) which implies 3mm between the legs.

So first question is are the specs link incorrect ? I want to try and get a capacitor with a similar size, impedance and ripple but I am thrown by the size difference and what specific capacitor would be a suitable replacement?

As I need about 10 replacements I'd like to get it right before ordering. I have shopped around but struggle to find such a high ripple, 2000mA and low impedance 0.034ohms. Any thoughts ?
    Attached Files

Re: Capacitor TK ATWY Replacement for ECS RS780M-M3 Motherboard

custom size,
    pretty common to find that happening.

use polymers to replace them.

Comment

470uF polymer caps would be a suitable replacement.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

oh thanks. Is there some formula here or do I just target the impedance and similar ESR and 6.4v and see what that leads to for capacitance?

Is that something sold on this site or are there recommended places for such caps ?

Comment

well i would use higher, like 820uf.
          no real formular to it, just people experimenting.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I'll pick from one of these

RNU0J821MDN1KX

or

or

appreciate all the assistance

Comment

I'd use Nichicon but the Wurth ones look really nice - it's an aesthetic decision at this point.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The cap in first post appears to be just a general filter on the motherboard. Many motherboards have small 8 mm diameter caps in the range of 820-1000 uF for various filter functions - RAM Vdd, RAM Vtt, SB/NB Vcc rails, and general 3.3V and 5V rail for PCI/PCI-E slots. The ESR of these caps isn't critical in most cases - rare exception being any buck-regulated rails, which aren't too common, except for RAM Vdd and/or NB Vcc, typically.

In any case, I've had no problems using these the most often:
                Rubycon ZLH 6.3V, 820 uF
                Rubycon ZLQ 6.3V, 1200 uF
                Rubycon YXG 6.3V, 1000 uF

The ZLH above is probably the easiest to find anywhere online, like Digikey, Mouser... or even here in the BCN store

I wouldn't go for polymers, due to higher cost and not really being needed.

Comment

ok thanks. More to ponder, more great information.

I will look at these non polymer caps also ... so many decisions

Comment

You can also measure the actual voltage on the capacitor if you power up the board.
                    That might allow you to go down in voltage to say a 2.5v polymer capacitor if the capacitor is filtering the chipset for example.
                    As that will be a voltage much lower than the capacitors rated 6.3v...
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thank you I can certainly try the voltage also to see what that shows.

Sorry this is all a new area to me...

Comment

Working...
                      X