Where's the BIOS on HP EliteBook G3 840

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's the BIOS on HP EliteBook G3 840

Guys I have an HP Elitebook G3 840 which is BIOS locked... and I need to identify the BIOS on the board. I'm kind of sure which one it is but since I don't have the schematics, I rather ask and be 100% sure. (pics attached)
    Also, what is the proper way to get the BIOS file unlocked? And finally, do I need to unlock BIOS in order to install OS and proceed with booting of the OS. The laptop doesn't have a hdd. That's why I ask
    thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Where's the BIOS on HP EliteBook G3 840

That two tiny WSON-8 on the second picture. You have to desolder it and using HP BIOS UNLOCK TOOL to unlock it. After that you can solder even SOIC8 if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by nistel View Post
      That two tiny WSON-8 on the second picture. You have to desolder it and using HP BIOS UNLOCK TOOL to unlock it. After that you can solder even SOIC8 if you want.
      it is the one on the left.. right?

Comment

I've tried downloading the bios file using ch341a and NeoProgrammer, and also with AsProgrammer, in both cases it failed to communicate with the ic. I got error reading ic (NeoProgrammer will not detected) It is not the board, as I have another bios and it will read it just fine. I looked for bios number on both programmers and I can't find the exact model. 25Q128FVPQ
        I've seen people using this programmer which I don't know the name (see picture attached).
        has anyone has dump the bios file using ch341a and either neoprogrammer or asprogrammer?
        thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

The programmer on the left is a TL866II
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Do you have pin 1 of the chip lining up with pin 1 on the adapter. The green paint might not be where pin 1 is, can`t see the dot on your picture .

Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
              Do you have pin 1 of the chip lining up with pin 1 on the adapter. The green paint might not be where pin 1 is, can`t see the dot on your picture .

I checked continuity with the meter from pin 1 to pin 1 on the connector, 2 with 2 and so on... it seems ok...
              but neither neoprogrammer or asprogrammer recognized the chip..

Comment

The programmer on the left is a TL866II
                that one do not work with CH341a?... needs to be another hardware?? correct

Comment

Originally posted by Zentech View Post
                  that one do not work with CH341a?... needs to be another hardware?? correct
                  Yes different hardware,you`ll find the official site for the XGecu TL866II at http://autoelectric.cn/EN/TL866_main.html

There`s pleny of them for sale on amazon/ebay.

Comment

If theres a centre/center ground pad under the chip it might be in contact with pins.If it is use a piece of kapton tape across the middle so it doesn`t touch.

Comment

If theres a centre/center ground pad under the chip it might be in contact with pins.If it is use a piece of kapton tape across the middle so it doesn`t touch.
                      yes, there was contact between the pad, which I think is ground, and pin 5, I removed it with a solder... I don't know what tape you refer to... you mean a tape to eliminate solder pins? are you serious?
                      anyway after eliminating the contacts... still not recognized by neither software programmers

Comment

Originally posted by Zentech View Post
                        yes, there was contact between the pad, which I think is ground, and pin 5, I removed it with a solder... I don't know what tape you refer to... you mean a tape to eliminate solder pins? are you serious?
                        anyway after eliminating the contacts... still not recognized by neither software programmers
                        Yes i am serious.The adapter you`re using isn`t ideal for wson8 chips.You can cut a small piece of kaptop tape and put it cross the middle to stop the gnd pad on the chip touching the pads,see the picture with the red square where to put the tape.Or, buy a proper wson8 adapter,they cost around $2 with free shipping .
                        Anyway,if you`re sure nothing is bridging,and you`ve checked each pin with a multimeter and both programmers won`t read it (if both programmers have the chip in the support list ? ) then the chip is dead.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-02-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Yes i am serious.The adapter you`re using isn`t ideal for wson8 chips.You can cut a small piece of kaptop tape and put it cross the middle to stop the gnd pad on the chip touching the pads,see the picture with the red square where to put the tape.Or, buy a proper wson8 adapter,they cost around $2 with free shipping .
                          Anyway,if you`re sure nothing is bridging,and you`ve checked each pin with a multimeter and both programmers won`t read it (if both programmers have the chip in the support list ? ) then the chip is dead.

thanks for pointing this out. I was definitely not aware of it. I thought the middle pad was just another ground connection. Could you point to a website that has wson8 adapter?.... mean while I'm looking for one on either ebay or amazon

Comment

ebay ,amazon, aliexpress . WSON8 adapter

Comment

Working...
                            X