Unable to Locate Power Supply Chip on HP Elitebook 840 G3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unable to Locate Power Supply Chip on HP Elitebook 840 G3

ok. I desolder the BIOS chip and noticed that the contact under the chip (wson pin layout) was damaged during the initial unlocking of the bios. It seemed ok when I solder it back. Is there a way to convert the pin layout of the motherboard bios from wson to isoc and use an equibalent isoc bios chip with same storage? can I just use an isoc type of bios dump the bios file and solder on the board?

Comment

Soic you mean. Yes, just write the wson content to Soic and solder it to those gold pads.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
        Soic you mean. Yes, just write the wson content to Soic and solder it to those gold pads.
        is there a clip out there for programming the bios on board, without removing it. this boards are so delicate that you risk damaging the rails. I have one but is a pain in the butt to get it to work.
        https://www.amazon.com/AiTrip-EEPROM.../dp/B07V6WLF4S
        is there something like a pogo click that sits on top of the chip? If anyone can provide link.. much appreciated
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-11-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

It's actually much easier to solder than to use pogopins. And no, these boards are far from delicate. I guess you probably just tried to yank it off before it was ready. When heating, just use tweezers to slightly push the chip sideways once in a while. When it's ready, it moves. At that point, grab the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
            It's actually much easier to solder than to use pogopins. And no, these boards are far from delicate. I guess you probably just tried to yank it off before it was ready. When heating, just use tweezers to slightly push the chip sideways once in a while. When it's ready, it moves. At that point, grab the chip.
            ok... I manage to dump the bios file into a winbond 25Q128FV bios, solder on the board now I got power. 19V led comes on the fan comes on, the 12V for the charger are present; however, when pressing the power button boards does not come on. I don't get anything on the screen.
            I took a pic of how the pads for bios connection are after I switch to isoc8 type of bios. How can I know if the pads are making a good connection and the pads on the board are not bad? check out the pics attached
            Attached Files

Comment

Has Anyone Unlock HP Elitebook 840 Successfully

Since I unlocked an HP Elitebook 840 G3 which I bought on ebay, the laptop is behaving weird. I dumped the original bios file back into the bios, but now is not booting to bios screen. I have the 19V led on, and power button led also on, I have 3, and 5V, but when I press the power button nothing happens. I notice I have 2.3V on power button. That seems also weird since it should be 3.3V. I press power button and it goes to 0V but board does not come on. After I unlocked the bios, the board came on and I was able to get into the bios no problem. after booting like three times, it started shutting down and restarting by itself. I notice that one of the pads under wson bios was damaged so I change to the bios to soic8 and dump the file. got my voltages back. but continue to power on and off. But no video!...
              has anyone here has successfully unlock HP Elitebook 840 bios and laptop worked find after that?
              thanks

Comment

Working...
              X