9242 PVR broken HDMI port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9242 PVR broken HDMI port

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but I did some research and didn't find any threads supporting this issue. Here is my problem; The HDMI and Component ports on my 9242 PVR receiver quit working. The HDMI and Component cords do check out and these ports are working on my LG smart TV. I unplugged both the PVR and the TV and plugged back in after 2 min. but still no video on these ports. I also tried the PVR on another TV set and nothing. Any idea what could cause this? I did plug a Video capture card into the HDMI port?? could this have something to do with it? although it was a couple of days later when I lost the ports. I do get video on the AV port.
    Last edited by davg; 10-23-2021, 04:44 PM.

Re: 9242 PVR broken HDMI port

I have found in the past that the hdmi connector expands the metal that holds the cable inside and by gently squeezing the two metal faces on the hdmi port in your PVR it can then realign the pins with your hdmi lead. The other thing is to use isopropanol on the connections on the HDMI connector and clean them with a old toothbrush in case the contacts have become dirty. I have remedied many hdmi ports using both of these methods in the past. The plugging and unplugging the hdmi lead from the connectors weakens them over time.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hot plugging can also lead to damage, I blew up a chip in my Virgin Tivo, it would do the menu and program guide but no image processing.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and I will try the method suggested by cheeky2, but what is puzzling is why would I loose the component port that had no cables plugged into it prior?? Is it possible that I blew the chip as mentioned by diif by plugging the video capture card into the hdmi port on the receiver? Both these ports are not recognized by my TV sets
        Last edited by davg; 10-29-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I assume this is a sat receiver (bell). IF so, there are issues with the caps in these units which can lead to lots of different problems from loss of signal to stability issues. Its possible that your issue is related to the powering associated with that port.
          There are 6-7 of them that are "candidates" for replacement.
          Last edited by budwich; 10-29-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
            I assume this is a sat receiver (bell). IF so, there are issues with the caps in these units which can lead to lots of different problems from loss of signal to stability issues. Its possible that your issue is related to the powering associated with that port.
            There are 6-7 of them that are "candidates" for replacement.
            Thanks Bud you are right a bell receiver I have not checked that issue? I have not had any issues with the unit other than suddenly loosing the HDMI port and I am still using it connected to the AV port. These bad caps could explain the loss of both the HDMI and Component ports??

Comment

I don't know if they are directly related to a "loss of output". I just know that these units have issues related to the caps in a couple of area. I have never seen a schematic BUT I have replaced caps on two units (9242 and 9241) because of issues with the units even initializing. I think the posts about this problem can be found in a sat forum. I think this is the one that I came across that started me down that "path".
              https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/c...ations.233722/

Without a schematic, you are some what flying blind although you can obviously trace back from the hdmi connector to the chips involved. It could be that a weak cap (as mentioned) is causing issues towards those chips... just a guess.
              Last edited by budwich; 10-29-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bud some great reading and a lot to think about. Looks like I may have to pull it apart for a closer look. A schematic certainly would be a great help.

Comment

One other point... depending on how you are "subbed" from your satellite vendor, your box may be replaceable without charge.... IF you don't "tamper" with it.... check out that option.

I had a 9242 that had a 2 year warranty agreement that I had picked up used. It failed to pick up local channels that were being feed into the OTA coax input (some what known problem). Anyway, bell replaced the unit twice, as the first one sent out did not work either. They (support) actually wanted me to go to another model but I wanted to maintain my access to local OTA channels via the box.

Based on the posted link, you can see that bell's support system for repair is somewhat of a "who cares" mode in terms of getting the issue repaired the first time as it appears that the units are "recycled" with little regards in terms of quality and qualification.

Further, based on some limited experience with xbox (original), the chances are high that there is issues with 5V areas which of course, hdmi relies heavily on. Further, since your "sink" is not seeing a connection when connected on either hdmi or "RGB", it is possibly that the lower layer is not happening which may point to a lack of voltage somewhere in the initial processing path.

One other question: how was your capture card powered... was it relying on powering from the HDMI. IF so, that may have weaken the power source enough for it to die shortly there after.
                  Last edited by budwich; 10-30-2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

One other question: how was your ca
                    Originally posted by budwich View Post
                    pture card powered... was it relying on powering from the HDMI. IF so, that may have weaken the power source enough for it to die shortly there after.
                    Yes the capture card required power from the HDMI port.
                    I picked up the unit from a neighbor who was moving that was way beyond the warranty date.

Comment

Working...
                    X