Sony CCD-V5000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony CCD-V5000E

Some weeks ago I bought a big fullsize camcorder on Ebay. The seller stated it was working and I could get it for 50 bucks, so I thought it would be worth a try.
    I was already a bit suspicious about the condition, as the price was a bit too low So it arrived here and yep - it was broken. The camera would start up, but needed a time of 10 to 20 seconds to show a picture in the viewfinder. When I tried to record something with it, the picture got garbled.

So i opened up the camera and found 67 leaking SMD capacitors and 5 leaking normal capacitors! I already replaced all of them on one of the boards and hopefully this thing will work as a charme again when I am finished. I have never done such a thing before, but I learned a bit of techniques for soldering from Youtube. So i bought PCB cleaner, tweezers, magnifiers and started going!

In case of somebody finding this thread on Google and having the same camera lying at home, I will note down all of the capacitors that have to be replaced.

The SMD capacitors are:
    22x 22/6V
    9x 10/16V
    3x 47/16V
    9x 47/6V
    8x 100/6,3V
    2x 2,2/50V
    6x 4,7/35V
    1x 22/35V
    1x 3,3/50V
    1x 10/35V
    1x 0,22/50V
    3x 1/50V
    1x 33/4V

I couldn't get the 33/4V capacitor, so I had to buy a 33/25V one. And the 0,22 capacitor was very hard to get. Nowhere I found a SMD version of it, just a normal black and long capacitor, which isn't even Low-ESR. So I hope it works.

And the "golden" capacitors on the boards where also leaking, here are the values:

3x 220/16V
    2x 330/10V

They where easy to get. From all of these caps I bought some more and I got away with 20 bucks, so I think thats a good deal as a local repair shop here stated that they can't repair the camera anymore because a lot of the parts are no longer available. A lie - I guess they where just to lazy to replace the bunch of caps in there

I will attach some pictures from the leaking capacitors and from the board I already recapped today. It's the memory controller of the camera, so I guess the record function could be working right now if I would test it. But a half-done job is not a well-done job, so I won't.

As progress on this camera continues, I will post more.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony CCD-V5000E

Just one quick question. On a motherboard, I see some bad smd capacitors, the tiny ones, how do I find its value to get it replaced, as there is nothing written on it.

Comment

If there's nothing written on them, you should get the service manual for the device. On the Sony camera, there was only one capacitor without values on it, the 0,22uF one.

I got the service manual from owner-manuals.com

Comment

Today I recapped one double-board that is sitting on the lens block and I recapped the CCD board. I also managed to change all the big golden caps. Pictures attached I guess I made it really well for a beginner with shaking hands.

All that is missing now are 3 SMD caps on the other lens boards and some SMD caps on the "big board". After that, I will reassemble the unit and try it out!
        Attached Files

Comment

Today I recapped half of the mainboard and a little board, that is directly attached to it. I also finished the lens unit.

Recapping the mainboard has been really difficult so far. A lot of the solder points are in a really bad condition. One was even completely missing, so I had to attach some wire in the hole there and connect it to the paths, that where going there. I took me nearly an hour, but the connection has been made!

I fixated the caps in this area with hot glue after that. That should last for a while.

Only 9 caps are missing now. Maybe I will finish up tomorrow. Hope it works.
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Sony CCD-V5000E (Repaired!)

I recapped the last half of the mainboard, One of my caps was too big, so I had to solder it a bit weird. You can see it on the first picture. But IT WORKS, so...nevermind.

Now I got one of the last fully working CCD-V5000E cameras. I'm proud!
            Attached Files

Comment

Amazing work, you seem to have put a lot of time into it.
              Congrats. on the final result!

Comment

Just if someone is interested:

I made my first steps with the camera in the last days. It was very sunny here (in the north of Germany), so i took the camera and filmed some ducks, my cat and the nature around the place where I live.

After that, I put all of the scenes together in Adobe Premiere, made color corrections, denoising and deinterlacing and here is the final result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysg51EW1rjw

It was worth the soldering work

Comment

Did you find it difficult to disassemble it as I have a faulty one that the camera works but no images on recorded tapes.I can solder ok but the disassembling it leaves me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic02 View Post
                    Did you find it difficult to disassemble it as I have a faulty one that the camera works but no images on recorded tapes.I can solder ok but the disassembling it leaves me nervous.
                    Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't very active here.

But YES. The disassembly isn't that hard, but the reassembly was one of the trickiest I ever had. There are a dozen connectors inside the camera and they all look the same. What's even worse is the fact, that even the cables look the same - they're just white.

In hindsight I am very glad that I shot a lot of pictures after removing each part.

Comment

Re: Sony CCD-V5000E from Italy

Hello everyone,
                      I'm writing from Italy and I'm bringing up this thread because I have a camera exactly like yours schmatzler, which suddenly stopped working a couple days ago.
                      It powers up, the PCM and Hi-Fi LEDs lights both work, the screen does too, but after a few seconds it all powers off. The cassette holder doesn't open anymore and the viewfinder is dark.
                      The one thing I noticed is that when I press eject, the LEDs which have begun to fade off, lighten up again, but the camera goes OFF in a matter of seconds anyway.
                      My intention is to try and fix it myself, but I was wondering which kind of tester I'm going to need, and if I'm going to need an oscilloscope.
                      Do you also happen to have the link for the purchase of the service manual?
                      Thank you for any help you can give me
                      -8rino

Comment

Re: Sony CCD-V5000E from Italy

Originally posted by 8rino View Post
                        Hello everyone,
                        I'm writing from Italy and I'm bringing up this thread because I have a camera exactly like yours schmatzler, which suddenly stopped working a couple days ago.
                        It powers up, the PCM and Hi-Fi LEDs lights both work, the screen does too, but after a few seconds it all powers off. The cassette holder doesn't open anymore and the viewfinder is dark.
                        The one thing I noticed is that when I press eject, the LEDs which have begun to fade off, lighten up again, but the camera goes OFF in a matter of seconds anyway.
                        My intention is to try and fix it myself, but I was wondering which kind of tester I'm going to need, and if I'm going to need an oscilloscope.
                        Do you also happen to have the link for the purchase of the service manual?
                        Thank you for any help you can give me
                        -8rino
                        Did you solve? Have you done the job Schmatzler has explained so well? I'm planning to do it by myself. I have no soldering skill, but I like to face hard games. I have just bought one of this in exceptionally great shape with all original stuffs and booklets 4 original good NP77H batteries, in conclusion everything ecept the box. Yesterday night after 10 minutes connected to the power supply it turned the viewfinder on but I could see just a blank screen axcept for a thin line of image on the right side. Cassette compartment was also working fine. Today it stopped turning cassette and shut off after few seconds from turning on, so it's highly probable capacitors are responsible of the fail.

Comment

Does this camcorder have sound if does how good is the sound
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                          X