This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your worthless and/or pointless repairs

remember 0805 4-pack resistor... so basically four 0201's next to each other!

Comment

What solder tip should I use to solder a wire to the middle pins of this 0805?
      (Getting lucky to use the via or pads is not that lucky, there are none on the other side...)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-22-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

the smallest you have
        i would either use the ILS 0.2mm or a blade/knife style tip.

Comment

Pictured is the smallest I have at least for conical.

Not sure if I have a wedge tip that could heat just one of the middle pins.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            remember 0805 4-pack resistor... so basically four 0201's next to each other!
            I did something similar on an old P3 motherboard, shown here. The resistor array there was the slightly larger size, so that's why it was easier in my case to go with 4x individual resistors.

But these small ones on the RAM modules - I don't think they could be easily done with individual resistors and hand-soldering. Perhaps with hot air? But then might as well replace the whole array.

With that said, here's a new idea :idea: : why not scratch off some of the solder mask from the upper trace and solder one side of a small SMD resistor there. Then, to the other side of that resistor, solder a really thin wire to go to the via or trace on the other side of the broken resistor. I've done something like that multiple times - particularly fine trace repairs and/or video cards that lost a bunch of small SMDs on the back from mishandling (not by me, though. )

Comment

:o

Yeah, replacing the whole array is probably easier for these for 0805 4-packs with hot air.

I think I could try 1208's with 4x0603's, but putting in 4x0201's for an 0805 ... But not sure at this point what to put in, as I have no idea where to get 22 ohm resistors of any type. Putting in two 10 ohm ¼W resistors does not seem like a good idea.

BTW, only one resistor in the middle of the pack is open, and I have no idea how it got destroyed with the outside ones just fine, as well as the size of this thing.

Comment

If all you have is through-hole resistors, then clear solder mask on traces on both sides of the broken resistor and solder fine wires to that (i.e. forget about soldering directly to the array resistor - you will more than likely bridge connections on it... I've done it more times than I care to remember, but I do remember enough that I don't do it anymore.) Then, solder the other end of the fine wires to your resistor(s) (if all you have is 10-Ohm ones, then two in series should be more than close enough.) Otherwise you can get such small low-values SMD resistors on junk motherboards (next to the RAM area) or video cards (behind/near RAM chips.) I imagine anything from 20-47 Ohms will probably work.
                Last edited by momaka; 04-23-2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I don't even know where I'd begin with this thread.....I've wasted tons of time fixing things & building weird computers that I probably couldn't give away.... I guess 'Pat' would be a good candidate for the ultimate wastes of time!! ....but it's still fun!

What can I say.....I find this kind of stuff 'therapeutic' in a strange way.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Yeah I'm hesitant on doing too much damage to the board, as replacing the whole 4-pack is still a possibility if all else fails (hot air gun is ready with small nozzle...). I think that 2x¼W resistors would be way too big especially if I don't glue to board, and suspect that there will be other issues.

I need someone to give me free WORKING(grr!) 2G PC5300/6400 DIMMs so I don't have to do this
                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 04-24-2021, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Big waste of time...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...97#post1041397
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Repaired a 12v 1A wall wart for a Linksys router. Probably have half a dozen replacements in my DC power box but fixed it anyway. Main filter cap and bootstrap cap were both bad.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        Ryzen 3600x
                        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                        Rosewill Capstone 750W
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        Hakko FX-888D Station
                        FX-8802 Iron
                        MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                          Repaired a 12v 1A wall wart for a Linksys router. Probably have half a dozen replacements in my DC power box but fixed it anyway. Main filter cap and bootstrap cap were both bad.
                          LOL, I did that too with the power adapter that came with my D-Link DI-614+ router. The latest repair (there were more than one, since first the startup cap went bad and then after a number of years the primary cap went bad) was posted here:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=28

Like you, I already had a dozen of other 5V, 2 to 3 Amp adapters... but I don't like throwing away something that is easily repairable. In the case of this adapter, I never bothered to close it back properly after the first repair (only put a few bread wire ties around it. ) So opening it took less time than actually getting the box (with router and adapter inside) from my closet.

Comment

dang i repair wall warts all the time now, though there are a few that I gutted after buying a new one... before I learned how to fix them.

Comment

Not sure if this is worthless, pointless, ghetto, or simply dumb:

I have this old analog meter that has ¼" posts for connecting wire to it. However it seems both standard NC 20TPI and NF 28TPI nuts do not thread - it appears to be 24TPI...

So I printed plastic ¼" 24TPI nuts on a 3d printer...

They thread on tight enough so that I can attach a wire to the post at least. Fortunately there is a metal backing nut so the plastic nut only needs to push up against the metal one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

and then you find it's metric thread!

Comment

metric? What's metric?

(The meter is an RCA 50µA meter from the 1950s that appears to have been part of a multimeter, probably not VTVM. It has 4 mounting screws that are 6-32.)

Comment

I have used the PSU mentioned in this thread as a parts PSU since, well, you see the date on that thread...
                                    I also have another Seasonic SS-250FS that I got a few years later but with a burned up secondary coil that I was meaning to fix up.
                                    But instead of fixing that later found PSU I decided to do the first one, since the PCB had also sustained allot of damage.
                                    That was a quite fun job to find all the required parts and make sure I did not forget anything after all these years
                                    First I powered up the 5VSB though a 75w incandescent light bulb: it fired right up with no problems!
                                    So I then put the coil I had desoldered to use in the other PSU back in, and replaced almost all capacitors except for the primary that measured good.
                                    I tried it again on the limiting light bulb but it lit up full and the PSU hiccuped.
                                    Not feeling content on bringing this APFC PSU up without a current limit I used my toaster (LOL) and it worked a treat!
                                    I then gave the seized fan a few drips of my favorite fan oil: Castrol Edge Professional Long Life 0W-30 and it spun like a bought one
                                    Finally I found a Swedish website selling 300W incandescent light bulbs so I got one.
                                    And that allows me to test the PSU even with two hard drives as load and it works fine!
                                    Oh, and the Arduino seen in the last picture is part of testing a fan failure detection circuit, but that will not belong in this worthless thread
                                    Attached Files
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

About a year and a half ago my ancient, decrepit piece of crap computer started shutting down randomly and wouldn't stay on more than 30 seconds. I take it apart and see a bulging cap near the memory banks, replace it, and it's back up and running again. I then proceed to buy/receive all the parts for a new PC build. And then let them sit in boxes for over a year.

Last week the ancient, decrepit piece of crap PC that I fixed before and am still using starts randomly rebooting after powering on for 30 seconds or so. I take the cover off, and low and behold the el cheapo capacitor I had put in as a replacement popped. So do I finally take that as a sign the universe wants to to just assemble the pile of components I have sitting right across the room to have a PC more than twice as good as this old crappy one?

Nope, I pop out the board replace the cap again, and am still using it. While the shiny new stuff sits in boxes still. I don't know what is wrong with me

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerB View Post
                                        I don't know what is wrong with me
                                        No there is nothing wrong with you ——> it's manufacturer that use shit-e components that there is something wrong with them they are greedy and only interested in making as money as possible and giving the customer crap

I would recommend that when you recap something use well known capacitor brand manufacturers not some more of the same exact crap with different brands names
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Another case of "do it right or do it again?"

<-- guilty as charged x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Comment

Working...
                                          X