Toshiba LCD 24W1333G - most probably bricked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba LCD 24W1333G - most probably bricked

Hello! In short, the problem with the blinking red/green light occurred and based on my experience with my other Toshiba TV, I knew that firmware is the key. So I downloaded the last available version for the model and saved it along with the mboot.bin and usb_auto_update_A1.txt (with all 4 lines commented) files, that I found here, on FAT32 formatted USB drive and strictly followed the update instructions. Well, everything seemed to work, but when the TV didn't start after 10 minutes of updating, and continuing, I just unplugged the power cable. Then I tried again, but that time nothing happened, I mean the light was still blinking red and green like it normally did. Unplugged/plugged the cable again and the TV was already gone - no picture, no sound, no LIGHT, just nothing. I changed the socket, but no luck. Last option was to open it and after detailed look I didn't notice anything wrong. Unplugged/plugged the power cable and the one for the blinking light from the board - no change. And that's the case. What's your opinion - hardware problem now or it could be still fixed by software? Thank you in advance for your support! Best regards!
    Last edited by RamboBG; 01-02-2018, 02:29 PM.

Re: Toshiba LCD 24W1333G - most probably bricked

Sounds like you need a new eeprom. Toshiba's a famous for eeprom troubles. I replaced one in my brother's 46" a while back. Sometimes you can get them cheap on eBay.

Comment

Any other opinions?

Comment

Sounds bricked. Not sure how badly though. You can connect to it via a serial cable to the scart socket to get a console and see if anything is happening. If the mboot which is on a spi chip is now bad you will need to reprogam that chip with a spi programmer - available very cheaply. If you can get the mboot going you should hopefully be able to try the software install again.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I don’t have serial-SCART cable, only RCA-SCART and HDMI, so I linked my notebook with the TV using the HDMI and trying all modes, but as I expected, it was useless... And we get to the spi programmer. Which model should I buy? Link from eBay or Amazon UK will be much appreciated (PM please, if it is against the rules)! How this programmer works? And finally how can I get the mboot going? I’m asking all of this, because I don’t want to make another mistake. Best regards!

P.S. I guess that I should load the mboot file in the spi programmer and then unload it in the spi chip via the USB port of the TV. If this is the case, how that will be possible giving the fact that the TV is completely dead, I mean even the power light is off?
          Last edited by RamboBG; 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

You'd probably need to make your own serial-scart cable if going down that route.

Your board is a 17MB95 something is that right?

SPI programmer:
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112033417320

That was the 1st link on ebay. Look for any of the CH341A SPI usb programmers. There are loads of them about. You have to desolder the SPI chip (8 pin chip - U10) from the board, then use the programmer to load the mboot directly onto the chip from your pc. Then solder back on the board. You can get clips to program the chip on-board without desoldering but I always had trouble with them.

That said I don't know for sure if this will solve your problem. Not sure if mboot is bad or if the problem lies elsewhere. Curious that you have no led at all now. Might be worth checking voltages at the connector between power supply and main board to make sure you haven't blown something while unplugging and plugging in during programming.

You may find getting a new board easier than all of this. Provided it matches your panel and all the connectors are the same.
            Last edited by tn245; 01-05-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

I have the same tv (board VESTEL 17MB95S-1 toshiba 24w1333g),
              tv go on but show only pc/vga source, I have change the firmware on U10 25L1606E with no result. I haven't the remote controller but with the button on the tv the source list appears. If I connect hdmi or scart nothing change

Comment

Good morning
                does anyone have the firmware for this tv .thank you

Comment

Originally posted by saveriuccio View Post
                  Good morning
                  does anyone have the firmware for this tv .thank you
                  TOSHIBA 24W1333G Main Board 17MB95S-1 V.1
                  Attached Files

Comment