Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony XBR-55X930D - Stuck in svc/test mode? How to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-55X930D - Stuck in svc/test mode? How to fix?

Hi guys, this is my first post here so thanks for reading. Hopefully you all might have come across this issue before. first let me apologize for the length of the post but if you are to help me then it warrants giving you as much detail as possible, right?

So, I'm trying to bring back to life my Sony XBR-55X930D. Here is the situation: Removed and sent out power board for repair (due to no LED, red or otherwise, good power brick putting out the required 24V)). First time the board came back it did not work so I bitched at the place, mostly for not wanting to identify the parts replaced/repaired due to competitor sensitivity (tf?) and "stealing" their repair secrets (again, tf?) - eventually they said send it back in. This time it took four days longer than the previous time - which the first time they received it in and shipped it back out within 3 hours (from the timestamp of USPS drop off and the new tracking number USPS in possession of item) of receiving it so right away I was suspect of something not right. Anyways, board came back and this time it worked.

I should point out that when I turned the tv on with the repaired power board now istalled, oh, and it also had "new" (meaning used) T-CON and main board from ebay. Upon first boot I could have sworn I saw the bottom LED flash different colors before turning white. Also upon power up the screen was like 1/2 blank, the other had pixellated vertical lines, then it would flash to half white, the other side with vert pixellated lines in different sections of the screen. I thought oh great what now? Frustrated and not wanting to put the remote through the screen, I gave up for a couple of days.

Upon picking up the tools again and before doing anything else I removed and replaced the Tcon and Main board with the previous ones that were in there originally. Sent the ebay main board back $144, still have tcon $20. So now I'm back where I started but with a repaired power board. Powered on the tv and it goes into what it's doing now, flashing solid red/green/blue/white/black, then vert/horz stripes. It does this endlessly.

To be clear, the tv goes immediately into this state upon plugging it in or powering it on. At no time can you see any menu items or display information at all. After performing a factory hard reset I can now hear melodic music, sort of like a retail setting or something. The music begins as soon as the screen lights up upon power on.

I have tried resetting the tv with the remote arrow up then down then unplug and replug and all iterations I can find on internet or think of, all to no avail.

I have tried wiggling the wires leading to the tcon board to see if I can create some effect that should appear such as flickering or lines or anything at all - no luck there either. This would typically tell me that the tcon is bad BUT I had a second tcon board and it does it with both boards and I doubt that they would both be trash especially since one is fresh off ebay (I realize it could be bad but am saying it's unlikely to be bad.

I can upload pics if needed but it's pretty much as straight forward as I have described. If a solid pic of green/red/blue intermittent screen will help I can do that but...pretty much waste of time.

Does anyone have any idea what I can even try next? I hope I'm not at the end of the road. This is a killer set and I would love to repair it and keep it for myself.

Re: Sony XBR-55X930D - Stuck in svc/test mode? How to fix?

In the first pic (powerboard2.jpg) you'll see a red circle pointing out that I am aware of the messed up ribbon cable coming off the powerboard going to the TCON board. Rest assured I have wiggled and tugged and given it enough moving around to try to induce some sort of interference to give indication if this is the issue and I can say, even with that ribbon on crooked like that it still functions ok - I mean, unless both tcon boards I have are no good then this should be revealed at this point.

I have indication via the led turning from white to green telling me a hard factory reset is being performed and then after some time I hear the melodic music in the back ground but the RGB flashing screen persists with NO on screen menu's visible or anything else to guide me to get out of the test pattern or anything useful at all. This should be such an easy fix if only I could get this description of events in front of the right person I think I'd be able to get an answer. Please Help!
    Attached Files

Comment

here are the picture on www.encompass.com
      Attached Files

Comment

if you damaged one of the flat white ribbon cables with the blue plastic holders they are harder to find because sometimes they come with the panel before it goes to manufacturing. try downloading the newest version of sony software on usb and plug it in after you turn on tv. Be patient and it will reboot at the end and turn back on. sometimes takes 30-40 minutes so dont turn tv off or unplug when your doing this.

Comment

When you get the color pattern test on a Sony TV like this, it means the T-con is not receiving info from the mainboard. Not because the mainboard is broken but because it's not plugged in. This means the ribbons are loose, or not aligned right. However when that happens the mainboard is no longer paired with the rest of the TV, and you will have to pair it again. In order to pair it, you will have to do what bruce mentioned which is download the software from the Sony website linked below:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016747

Scroll down to the download link

Also if you don't do it right, you will break your mainboard. So be careful don't start unplugging things if you get frustrated. Go slowly, give the time to react, and start updating. Sometimes it takes 20 seconds for it to register the drive

here are some tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc

Comment

Working...
          X