Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse Tx-42f430s

Hello, new DIY here.

My Westinghouse TV I've had for 15 years recently went out. First it wouldn't turn on, only the orange light. I would do the usual unplug for 30 seconds then it would work. About a month ago it stopped working completely. No orange light, nothing. Normally I would just buy a new TV but I want to learn how to fix it rather than just buy another one. Doing research it seems it's most likely bad caps, hence what led me here. I have all the equipment to do it. My question is, what caps do I buy for it?
    Last edited by CapsDude; 01-21-2021, 03:23 AM.

Re: Westinghouse Tx-42f430s

It would be helpful to you if you posted some quality pictures of your circuit boards.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Have you read through this

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
        Have you read through this
        Yeah, before I made the thread probably should have made it after I opened the TV up lol. I've read a few cases where it's that cap giving similar issues. But their TV still has the orange light that comes on. Mine doesn't come on anymore. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Dumb question, but how do you post images on here? It's not letting me do it the way I do it on other vBulletin boards.

Comment

Googled your power supply and it has covers so you will need to remove them to inspect the caps. I would wait at least half an hour after unplugging to allow the caps to discharge since you can get a shock from hot ground. If bad, they will be bulged on their tops.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
            Googled your power supply and it has covers so you will need to remove them to inspect the caps. I would wait at least half an hour after unplugging to allow the caps to discharge since you can get a shock from hot ground. If bad, they will be bulged on their tops.
            Yeah, I finally got around to opening the TV and looking at it. I didn't notice any caps that were bulged or leaking. But from doing some research that doesn't mean one isn't still bad.

I'm trying to post a pic. How do you embed pics on this site? Edit:Never mind I got it, I think.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by CapsDude; 01-26-2021, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapsDude View Post
              Yeah, I finally got around to opening the TV and looking at it. I didn't notice any caps that were bulged or leaking. But from doing some research that doesn't mean one isn't still bad.

I'm trying to post a pic. How do you embed pics on this site? Edit:Never mind I got it, I think.
              The board shown is your mainboard. Can you post a photo of your power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                The board shown is your mainboard. Can you post a photo of your power supply.
                Here. And thank you so far.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by CapsDude; 01-26-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

The power supply says it supplies two 24V supplies at different current rating, 12V , 5V and 5v Stby
                  Are any of them missing. The coils near the white connector may have aged solder joints or may have cracked joints so would be worth looking at the underside of the power supply for any solder joints requiring attention.

The two resistors look as though they have been running hot and I would check the solder joints of each of them.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by dick_barton; 01-27-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Here's the whole underside and then the 2 in particular.

I didn't notice anything missing but then again I wouldn't know what would need to be there, I'll have to look up a pic. There wasn't anything that had fallen off when I take the cover off.
                    Attached Files

Comment

So I replaced the 470uf 16V cap and now the orange light comes on but the TV still isn't turning on.
                      Last edited by CapsDude; 02-22-2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

test the voltages at the connector on the powerboard with EVERYTHING hooked up, it's the connector that the cable from powerboard to mainboard hooks into, most times there's a legend/map nearby, (your expected voltages are right beside the connector) that gives the expected voltages, you measure them with your mutimeter, set meter to 20 vdc then report them, put neg probe on chassis metal ground, pos probe on pin of connector, measure in standby take note, leave probes where they are then power on tv and again take note of voltages, report them here, example pin 1-ps-on-0 volts standby-power on-3.3 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                          test the voltages at the connector on the powerboard with EVERYTHING hooked up, it's the connector that the cable from powerboard to mainboard hooks into, most times there's a legend/map nearby, (your expected voltages are right beside the connector) that gives the expected voltages, you measure them with your mutimeter, set meter to 20 vdc then report them, put neg probe on chassis metal ground, pos probe on pin of connector, measure in standby take note, leave probes where they are then power on tv and again take note of voltages, report them here, example pin 1-ps-on-0 volts standby-power on-3.3 volts.
                          Its reading 24V in standby, dont know how, and it won't power on, just stays in standby (Orange light). Before it wasn't even going in standby until I changed the 470uf 16V cap.

Comment

Ok, what are the readings of all the pins in standby?

Comment

You might have more bad caps.

Comment

Now that pin is reading at 5V.

1 is reading 5V. This is the one that connects to the power board.
                                2 is reading .25V then 1.45V that can't be right.
                                3 is reading 4.65V
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by CapsDude; 02-23-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

You are on the mainboard there, this is an example of simple voltage testing on powerboard and usually where to start troubleshooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8DcqCNG4A

Comment

When I do it that way I don't get a reading. When I do it where the wires are they read 24V. Maybe because they are set up differently? His were on the horizontal and mine are vertical. Or does that not matter?

I did notice these were hot. Like a previous poster mentioned.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

They're resistors, can be tested with multimeter, check youtube if unsure how to test.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                        They're resistors, can be tested with multimeter, check youtube if unsure how to test.
                                        They're rated at 560 ohms and both are testing between 450 and 470.

Comment

Working...
                                        X