LG 50uh5500 no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50uh5500 no picture

I'm sorry for making a second thread but it seems like my first one died. To recap, LEDs are working and t con has been replaced but still no picture. Power to the mainboard is on point. This is my first time repairing a TV like this and I'd love to know how to fully test and diagnose the issue accurately. Thank you. My multimeter and I are standing by.
    Last edited by slip; 10-27-2019, 08:13 AM.

Re: LG 50uh5500 no picture

New threads about same tv just clutters up the boards, all you need to do is bump your thread, that way what has been discussed and tried already is not lost, plus you probably won't get too many responses because it's a no no.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-27-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Your TV has bad Backlights. You would need to open up the Panel and carefully remove the very fragile glass screen. Replace ALL the Backlights strips though not all would be defective but it is good practice to replace all as you would not want repeated failure to have to open up the Panel innumerable times risking breaking the fragile glass Screen. The LED Strips would be in pairs and would have a Part No. for left and right pairs. A 50 inch TV like yours may have five pairs probably with 8LEDs on one side and 7 LEDs on the other. Good Luck.

Comment

Previous thread said he replaced all the backlights and now has backlight but no picture and replaced tcon already. Probably damaged something in the process. Try powering on the tv with only one side of ribbons to the panel connected at a time. If one side has an image, then main board is good and there is damage to the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
          Previous thread said he replaced all the backlights and now has backlight but no picture and replaced tcon already. Probably damaged something in the process. Try powering on the tv with only one side of ribbons to the panel connected at a time. If one side has an image, then main board is good and there is damage to the panel.
          Okay so when both ribbons are plugged in, there's no visual display it's just the back lights. When I plug them in one at a time, the display shows up each time but one connection has a clear image on half the screen and the other connection shows a distorted image on the screen with a lot of vertical lines.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            New threads about same tv just clutters up the boards, all you need to do is bump your thread, that way what has been discussed and tried already is not lost, plus you probably won't get too many responses because it's a no no.
            Sorry about that, how should I correct it?

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
              Okay so when both ribbons are plugged in, there's no visual display it's just the back lights. When I plug them in one at a time, the display shows up each time but one connection has a clear image on half the screen and the other connection shows a distorted image on the screen with a lot of vertical lines.
              can you upload a picture of what your seeing on the screen as we may of seen this fault before

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                Sorry about that, how should I correct it?
                No biggie, it's just kind of like a step backwards because the 37 posts that were covered are missing from this thread if someone just types bump, then those posts are still right there easy to see.

Comment

Update: after that ribbon test, somehow it turns on now. This is the most working I've ever seen this TV and it's really close to usable at this point. There is a horizontal line going all the way across the TV I'm not really too concerned about that unless there is a cheap and easy fix for it. It's only one single line and the rest of the image is there. The only current issue seems to be that the right side of the screen is distorted with what I would describe as an image burn issue. Everything on the right side of the screen is darker and the colors are a little bit distorted more towards the darker end of the spectrum and Frames don't disappear as quickly as they supposed to.

I have tried swapping ribbon cables and it was still the same issue and I also tried swapping the t-con boards and it actually worked but it's still the same issue.

Comment

From description seems like a panel issue, could try the "cut tape" method, may have to adjust tape width, works quite often: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8

Comment

Working...
                    X