LG OLED 65EG9600 no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED 65EG9600 no picture

Someone gave me a 65EG9600. When I received it, the set would power on and provide a picture, but on the right half of the screen approx every 1/2 second the picture would flicker with a horizontal distortion. I put the TV in my garage to work on when I had time, where it sat for about 6 months. I recently brought it inside to begin working on it, and now the TV will turn on, but no picture.

I DO get:
    - red light on the optical output.
    - sound (static on TV input).
    - ethernet (plugged in a network cable and confirmed that the TV got DHCP from my router, and I could even successfully ping the TV's IP address).
    - correct voltages on P201, P202, P203 (see below), when the set is powered on, I think (not sure about ACD and DRV_ON?).
    - correct voltages on both sides of F1 (24v) & F3 (12v).

And I hear the T-con making some noises when the TV is powered on. I would suspect T-Con failure based on half of the screen having a problem before, and based on the fact that all of the correct voltages exist and the main board sound, ethernet, power-on circuits all working properly. BUT, I've read several other posts on this site where people had similar half screen problems and the problem still ended up being the main board.

1) Are ACD and DRV_ON voltages as expected?
    2) Is there an F2 I'm missing somewhere on the T-Con?
    3) Need help to determine if the problem is the main board or the t-con (or maybe even the panel?)

Thanks!
    --Dave

Measurements
    P201
    GND 0 | GND 0
    24VS 24v | 24VS 24v
    24VS 24v | 24VS 24v
    GND 0 | 12VT_ON 3.5v
    12VM 12v | GND 0
    12VM 12v | 12VM 12v
    12VM 12v | 12VM 12v
    GND 0 | GND 0
    3.5V 3.5v | 3.5V 3.5v
    3.5V 3.5v | GND 0
    DPC 0 | ACD 3.3v
    P_ON 3.3v | DRV_ON 3.0v

P202
    1 (GND): 0
    2 (N/C): N/C
    3-8 (12VT): 12v
    9-14 (GND): 0

P203
    1-7 (GND): 0
    8-15 (24VD): 24v

F1: 24v
    F3: 12v
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Daveleone; 02-06-2021, 11:48 AM.

Re: LG OLED 65EG9600 no picture

all voltage are fine. yours mainboards fine too from yours description of the signs you have on it.
    do the following exactly one after other.
    1- disconnect the mainboards totally from powerboards ( plug out the socket 201 from mainboards side) and the 2 LVDS which goes to T-CON ( plug them from T-CON side )

2- you have ribbon cable jumper connected at the T-CON from left to right side.. get it out and inspect the pins contact clean them and put it back )

3- same way inspect & clean the 4 ribbon cable between T-CON and panel module

4- on the socket 201 at the powerboards you need to make 3 jumpers ( testing the T-CON and panel module as stand alone) all three must remain in place at the test.
    A- 3.5V --- P_ON ( you will have at the same socket 12 & 24V )
    B- 3.5V --- 12VT_ON ( you will have 12V at P202 & T-CON 12V )
    C- 3.5V --- DRV_ON ( you will have 24V at P203 & T-CON 24V )

plug the set in wall socket and watch what you will have on the screen show me over here.... give it time to remark any change could happened on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
      1- disconnect the mainboards
      2- ribbon cable inspect the pins contact clean them and put it back
      3- inspect & clean the 4 ribbon cable between T-CON and panel module
      4- make 3 jumpers ( testing the T-CON and panel module as stand alone)
      plug the set in wall socket and watch what you will have on the screen
      2 & 3)
      - I first inspected and cleaned all the ribbon cables (left & right side of t-con, and all 4 ribbons from t-con to panel).
      - Did not notice anything damaged or dirty.
      - Plugged in the TV after cleaning just to test.
      - No change (still get sound and no picture).

1 & 4)
      - Disconnected main board from socket 201 on powerboard and both LVDS cables from T-CON.
      - Jumpered P_ON, 12VT_ON, and DRV_ON to 3.5V. Confirmed jumpers good using continuity test from pin to pin on the power board.
      - Plugged the TV in.
      - Heard relay click on.
      - Tested voltage and confirmed that there is 12v & 24v at P201, 12v at P202, and 24v at P203.
      - Still no picture. (and obviously, no sound, since the mainboard is disconnected)
      Last edited by Daveleone; 02-06-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveleone View Post
        2 & 3)
        - I first inspected and cleaned all the ribbon cables (left & right side of t-con, and all 4 ribbons from t-con to panel).
        - I did not notice anything damaged or dirty.
        - I tested the set after cleaning just to be sure. No change (still get sound and no picture).

1 & 4)
        - I disconnected main board from socket 201 on powerboard and both LVDS cables from T-CON.
        - I jumpered P_ON, 12VT_ON, and DRV_ON to 3.5V. Confirmed jumpers good using continuity test from pin to pin on the power board.
        - I plugged the TV in.
        - Heard relay click on.
        - Tested voltage and confirmed that there is 12v & 24v at P201, 12v at P202, and 24v at P203.
        - Still no picture. (and obviously, no sound, since the mainboard is disconnected.
        yours T-CON at sleeping.. its firmware didn't start at all. so you need to wake it up via:

1- we let the mainboards waked up the t-con up by after you bring all sockets and cable as original in place ( No more jumpers )

a- insert air mouse or usb 2 mouse at any usb ports and another usb stick with media content suyh movie with mpeg format ( put all then turn on the set.. remove the mouse left and right or clicking the right ot left bottom of the mouse check the screen. if didn't waked up with this... try again once more if not. then do ( b )

b- while the set on need to send IN_STOP command followed with 4 digital code 0 4 1 3 then set will go to stand by then plug it from wall socket leave it out from wall for more than 10 minutes then plug it in.. it should start with first install screen

In_STOP can be send with LG Service remote control or diy one i did explain it at this threat and this threat too

Comment

1- bring all sockets and cable as original in place ( No more jumpers )
          a- insert usb 2 mouse at any usb ports and another usb stick with media content movie with mpeg format ( put all then turn on the set.. remove the mouse left and right or clicking the right ot left bottom of the mouse check the screen. if didn't waked up with this... try again once more if not. then
          1)
          - Removed jumpers
          - Plugged P201 back into main board and both LVDS cables back into t-con
          a)
          - Inserted USB mouse in USB1, and USB stick w/mpeg video in USB2.
          - Plugged in TV.
          - Moved mouse, clicked buttons.
          - No change (still got sound and no picture)

- Unplugged TV.
          - Plugged TV in again.
          - Heard relay click twice.
          - TV did not power up.

Now, every time I plug in the TV the relay doesn't even click.
          - I have 3.5v on 3.5V pins, but do not have 12V or 24V anywhere.
          - No red light on optical port
          - No sound
          - If I press power button on the TV, it has no effect.
          - If I press power button on the remote, the LG logo starts flashing on-off over and over.

Comment

1)
            - Removed jumpers
            - Plugged P201 back into main board and both LVDS cables back into t-con
            a)
            - Inserted USB mouse in USB1, and USB stick w/mpeg video in USB2.
            - Plugged in TV.
            - Moved mouse, clicked buttons.
            - No change (still got sound and no picture)

- Unplugged TV.
            - Plugged TV in again.
            - Heard relay click twice.
            - TV did not power up.

Now, every time I plug in the TV the relay doesn't even click.
            - I have 3.5v on 3.5V pins, but do not have 12V or 24V anywhere.
            - No red light on optical port
            - No sound
            - If I press power button on the TV, it has no effect.
            - If I press power button on the remote, the LG logo starts flashing on-off over and over.
            which sound you are hearing ????

remove the mouse and usb stick. keep it out from wall socket 10 minutes and more then plug it in wall tell the result.

Comment

which sound you are hearing ????

remove the mouse and usb stick. keep it out from wall socket 10 minutes and more then plug it in wall tell the result.
              - I still heard the TV static sound the first time I turned it on. But not anymore.
              - Ok, I removed USB stick & mouse. Will leave unplugged for 10 minutes and then plug in power and let you know what happens.
              Last edited by Daveleone; 02-06-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

you may have one LVDS cable not correct sitting after you did or sockets... look over all again

Comment

you may have one LVDS cable not correct sitting after you did or sockets... look over all again
                  Ok, I double-checked them all. All seem seated properly.
                  I also tested continuity between the 3.5V, P_ON, DRV_ON, and 12VT_ON pins on main board to corresponding pins on power board to make sure I didn't screw something up there and continuity tests ok.

Comment

plug it in wall and tell what led indicator on mainboards u have on

Comment

- Removed mouse & USB stick.
                      - Left TV unplugged for 10 minutes.
                      - Plugged in TV.
                      - No change (still no relay click. power button on TV does nothing. power button on remote causes flashing logo).
                      - Unplugged TV

- Unplugged LVDS & P201
                      - Re-jumpered. P201.
                      - Plugged in TV.
                      - Got relay click and 12v & 24v in the right places.
                      - Unplugged TV.

- Removed jumpers
                      - Plugged LVDS & P201 back in
                      - Plugged in TV.
                      - No change (still no power. power button on TV does nothing. power button on remote causes flashing logo).

- Used service remote POWER_ONLY.
                      - Heard relay click.
                      - Pressed Exit, then Power.
                      - TV shut off.
                      - Pressed power button on TV.
                      - TV turned on.
                      - Successfully back to original state (have power, sound, optical port light, etc, but still no picture)! Whew!

What does that mean that the TV wouldn't power on, but using POWER_ONLY then exit fixed it?
                      What next? Should I try the mouse & USB stick again? Or not risk it and try IN_STOP 0413 instead?

Thanks!
                      Last edited by Daveleone; 02-06-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

- Used service remote POWER_ONLY.
                        - Heard relay click.
                        - Pressed Exit, then Power.
                        - TV shut off.
                        - Pressed power button on TV.
                        - TV turned on.
                        - Successfully back to original state (have power, sound, optical port light, etc, but still no picture)! Whew!

What does that mean that the TV wouldn't power on, but using POWER_ONLY then exit fixed it?

What next? Should I try the mouse & USB stick again? Or not risk it and try IN_STOP 0413 instead?

Thanks!
                        i explained the protection mode at other threat when P ONLY need.

as you own the LG SRC you can do both start with mouse and usb stick

Comment

i explained the protection mode at other threat when P ONLY need
                          Yeah, I figured it was in protection mode and that's why P_ONLY worked. But I don't understand why it went into protection mode?

Ok, I will try USB mouse & stick again first. Then IN_STOP 0413. And will report back.

Comment

Yeah, I figured it was in protection mode and that's why P_ONLY worked. But I don't understand why it went into protection mode?

Ok, I will try USB mouse & stick again first. Then IN_STOP 0413. And will report back.
                            who knows what are you doing....lol
                            oled protection happened when there are wrong firmware timing steps sequences between Main FW and T-CON FW or there HW caused this issue.

Comment

as you own the LG SRC you can do both start with mouse and usb stick
                              a)
                              - Tried USB mouse and stick a few more times.
                              - No change (still have power & sound, but no picture)
                              - At least it did not go into protect mode this time.

b)
                              - With TV on & can hear TV input static sound...
                              - Pressed IN_STOP
                              - Immediately, sound stopped and heard relay click off and logo started flashing
                              - Pressed 0413 just to be safe, but I think based on the relay click that the TV was already going into standby (?)
                              - Logo continued flashing a few times, then shut off.
                              - Unplugged TV.
                              - Waited 10 minutes.
                              - Plugged in TV.
                              - Heard relay click. Got light on optical port, but no sound (maybe the input changed?) and no picture.
                              - Tried powering off / on a few times. No change.
                              - NOTED that we have 12v at F3, but only 22v at F1 (and at P203).

- Pressed POWER_ONLY
                              - Exit, Power
                              - Powered back on.
                              - Back to initial state (power and sound, no picture)
                              - NOTED that we once again have 12v at F3, and 24v at F1 (and at P203).

I tried the IN_STOP procedure a 2nd time, just to make sure I did it right. Same results.
                              Last edited by Daveleone; 02-06-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

dont use P ONLY any more. no sense for it while yours MB stating normal after plug it in wall socket.. also dont use normal Power on RC to turn it off in STB. keep it active at last state ( mean only plug it out from wall socket to let it at next start immediately when it plug in wall again )

let see after you leave it over night off. next start tell if you have sign on screen. if nothings then you need INSTOP once again and dont do it any more... then ...

one test you can do after you send the instop. just plug out the 24V line from T-CON and turn it on.... give attention to the screen if there horizontal line moved from the top to down.

you can also

after you did IN_STOP and turn it on you found the 24V read as low 22V this tell us that the panel over loaded to drop the 24 to 22V. this mean too the T-CON driver waked up. at this point if you plugged it out from wall. you go back to run the test ( T-CON & panel as stand alone ) procedure, you will have some things on the screen (maybe horizontal or vertical lines or full one color screen) this test now described to us why the 24V drooped to 22V or its could remain at 24V.

Comment

BTW you can contact the OP of this threat and take all his boards as they are working 100%

Comment

one test you can do after you send the instop
                                    Just to make sure I'm doing this IN_STOP correctly...

- I turn the TV on. Wait until I hear sound. Press IN_STOP, sounds stops, relay clicks, TV goes into standby.
                                    - If I start to press 0413, I hear relay click and the TV comes out of standby. Should I still do this? or skip this step?

let see after you leave it over night off. next start tell if you have sign on screen.
                                    No change.

plug out the 24V line from T-CON and turn it on
                                    No change (still nothing on the screen).
                                    NOTED that even though 24v is unplugged from T-Con, still showing 22v on P203. Is this expected?

go back to run the test ( T-CON & panel as stand alone ) procedure
                                    (with 24v plugged in to T-Con, and TV in IN_STOP state)
                                    - Unplugged power
                                    - Unplugged P201 and set 3 jumpers
                                    - Plugged in power
                                    - Relay click
                                    - Nothing on screen. Noted that F1 now measures 24v.
                                    - Unplugged power
                                    - Removed jumpers and plugged back in P201
                                    - Plugged in power
                                    - Relay click, red light on optical port
                                    - Nothing on screen. Noted that F1 once again measures 22v.

24V read as low 22V this tell us that the panel over loaded to drop the 24 to 22V
                                    If panel overload is pulling down 24v to 22v, then
                                    1) why do we still get 22v on P203 when not connected to T-con (& panel)?
                                    2) why do we get 24v when main board is not connected (panel+tcon test) but 22v when main board is connected? Maybe T-con is still not waking up in the panel+tcon test?

Anything else to try?
                                    Last edited by Daveleone; 02-07-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Just to make sure I'm doing this IN_STOP correctly
                                      if you send the command and tv go to standby with out the code 0413 little strange,,but could be yours service remote other version that do it with out code.. so you are in no need to give code..
                                      at this case when you send instop and its goes to STB plug it out from wall socket for 10 minutes then turn it on again.

2) why do we get 24v when main board is not connected (panel+tcon test) but 22v when main board is connected?
                                      DRV_ON signal which mainboards send it to the powerboards content Freq which switched MOSFET of the 24V to high. if this freq low the output will be low. this is mainboards issue. and it could be too it didn't wake up the T-CON. so my previous statement about load are not in place.. regards to yours measurements.

remember at yours first post you wrote that DRV_ON= 3.0V but when we do stand alone test after feeding DRV_ON 3.5V it turn to be 24V. this why we can now trick it in this way..
                                      after you send INSTOP, and plug the set out from wall socket and waiting time of 10 minutes then
                                      slide out the cable of DRV_ON which come from mainboards on the powerboards sockets P201
                                      make ONE jumper Only between 3.5V and DRV_ON ( so the 24V will go high after you plug the set back to wall and turn it on with RC normal power incase it didn't start after plugging it back to wall

your eyes always on the screen to remark any change

Comment

slide out the cable of DRV_ON which come from mainboards on the powerboards sockets P201 make ONE jumper Only between 3.5V and DRV_ON
                                        No change. Still no picture.
                                        DRV_ON = 3.5v
                                        P_ON = 3.3v
                                        P203 still reads 22v.

Comment

Working...
                                        X