1958 Vintage Radio Cap Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1958 Vintage Radio Cap Replacement

I need to replace a 70uf+50uf 150v 75 C temp radial capacitor out of an 1958 Admiral 278-5D4.

I am having a hard time finding that exact spec, does any one know what a good replacement would be from a modern manufacturer?

This is my first restoration, so be gentle.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenKnight15; 01-16-2023, 07:11 PM.

Re: 1958 Vintage Radio Cap Replacement

You just need to find two single electrolytic capacitors, no need for low esr etc.
    33µf/160v
    47,56 or 68µf/160v
    values are not that critical

You may be able to install them inside the old electrolytics paper cover (just for looks)
    Last edited by R_J; 01-16-2023, 07:29 PM.

Comment

lots of people gut the old one and put new ones inside .. failing that its disconnect the old one and put new ones underneath .

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        You just need to find two single electrolytic capacitors, no need for low esr etc.
        33µf/160v
        47,56 or 68µf/160v
        values are not that critical

You may be able to install them inside the old electrolytics paper cover (just for looks)

This makes sense! I wasn't sure if there was any special use case for the 3 lead instead of 2 separate caps in the original design so I was looking for a exact match.

I can easily find a 50uf and 70uf 150v cap and split them between the 3 leads. Thanks!

Also I love the idea of placing them inside the old paper!

Comment

I had to do this with an old radio someone gave me that for some reason I decided to repair....

Yes, the clock worked....I think that's why I fixed it....

Anyway, the culprit....

Scavenged 2 caps from some old PSU's. I normally frown on that....but this was not for a customer or anything that required any degree of precision....so...yeah... I did check them on my Sencore, they were good.

I did not do the 'install the new caps in the old cap body' thing....looks / authenticity wasn't the goal.

I just used existing holes in the PCB and a few workaround jumpers to attach.

I also cleaned out the vol & tone pots and a little teflon gun oil in the clock movement. Keeps perfect time and sounds as good as an old AM tube radio could. Not sure why I botehred with this one, maybe it was the pink body; Emerson 'Lifetimer' from 1963.
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

This is awesome! Seeing a complete example is most helpful, give me some ideas how how I want to attach the new caps.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X