Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Button Breaker Thermal Overload Protection

All,
    I have two 120V compressors that I have been working on. Both are getting new Capacitors.

As I am replacing the capacitors I am looking over the other electrical components.

One compressor is a Harbor Freight 21 Gallon Vertical . The other is Horizontal Craftsman which is roughly the same size. The one Harbor Freight Capacitor was fried and the other looks like it may have opened. The Craftsman Starting Capacitor was/or has been leaking badly.

The Harbor Freight Thermal Overload protector was lost over the past 10 years after the unit was originally torn down and put to the strip-down-use parts for another project pile.

I can find no info on it for its original size. The outside of the tank says its 14.6 Amp/120V Compressor. It was originally a push button. Originally I was thinking of replacing it with a 15amp Thermal overload push button protector. After reading online about 1.25 times FLA/FLC which puts it more toward 20AMP (14.6X1.25) = 18.25. So what would be the proper size 15 or 20 Amp Protector?

The Craftsman compressor situation is a little different. The Overload protector on it appears to be a flat device of sorts. It looks like it can manual reset itself (Get hot and shut off/cool and turn back on). I will try and get some pics. In either case the item appears maybe not to work. I am saying this as the starting capacitor is bad on the compressor and upon start up (testing) the house breaker will blow. I have tried it even on a dedicate 20AMP plug. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Chris

Re: Electric Button Breaker Thermal Overload Protection

All,
    Please disregard the Craftsman overload Protection question.

The small flat mechanical item turned out to be a Motor Switch. I found a part number on the unit and did a Google Search which brought it up for sale and then a I did a look at the purpose.

The Harbor Freight Overload Protection question is still a valid question if anyone knows or has suggestions..

Thanks everyone,
    Chris

Comment

We'd need more info such as a model number, horsepower, the motor manufacturer etc. to help with a replacement overload that can fit.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        We'd need more info such as a model number, horsepower, the motor manufacturer etc. to help with a replacement overload that can fit.
        Included is the tag off the side of the unit;

Thanks,
        Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

All,
          I am thinking I am going to use a Kill-A-Watt Tool to see what its pull is (a few times) and then go to the closest "related" thermal protection.

Does that make sense?

The two Capacitors arrived last night so hopefully this weekend I can try and spin this thing back up again.

Thanks,
          Chris

Comment

All,
            The Central Pneumatic Unit is up and running.

The Kill-A-Watt says 14.2 Amps.

So I am thinking 15amp Thermal Protection mechanism.

I also did a oil change. The electric motor does not appear to get hot or anything unusual at all. I let it get to pressure than drain it down 8 times in a row while I was working on the other compressor.

I still have to pick up a pressure connector end as the compressor end leaks if its not hooked to a hose. The Thermal protector and the intake muffler is left to get both available on Amazon/Ebay.

So for less than $40 its back up and running as a back up compressor for the one barn.

Thanks everyone for the help[/consideration,
            Chris

Comment

when reading current, it will rise with pressure.
              so if your compressor has a reservour tank you should watch the readings as it fills.

Comment

STJ,
                Thanks for the response!

Yes I see what you mean on the rise of amps as pressure increases.

On the Harbor Freight unit its not a large amount only about .15 Amps.

On the Craftsman unit which is a higher pressure unit (135psi (crafstman) vs 120psi (Harbor Freight)) it was about a .333 amp.

I ran both tanks multiple times and watched the amps. The 14.2 value given previously is the highest I saw out of Harbor Unit.

Again everyone thanks for the help,
                Chris

Comment

All,
                  I went with the 15 Amp.

I have installed and it has worked exceptionally well.

Thanks for the help,
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X