old Bravia double fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old Bravia double fail?

Well, got another broken TV due to overconfidence I suspect, alas this one is another dud like the other TV I have that seems to have a bad tcon (not worth to buy another)...

Anyway as received the backlight is out. Okay, but the power supply looks good, got a solid 24V out to the backlight. So I tried feeding in voltage into the backlight enable...still no light. Boo. Probably bad inverter or bad tubes.

Okay...so that sucks, now the other half: the mainboard. Again PSU seems to get the right voltages out so rule that out. Can't see anything in screen with a bright light and the mainboard doesn't detect when the backlight inverter is disconnected (no error code)... so I think the mainboard is also dead. Also couldn't seem to get sound out of the TV as I randomly pressed buttons on the remote. The only button that seems to do something is the power button.

So...looks like I got a rock here, better luck next time, apparent double failure is just not a good omen, perhaps it was a parts unit peddled out as a leftover parts unit or something *sigh* if only I could tell if the panel is any good, probably can't until the backlight is up, chances are the panel is also bad.

Risky risky...disposal is the unfortunate cost.

Re: old Bravia double fail?

does the indicator light on front of tv light up at all, red light, green light, blinking etc?

Comment

7466 posts and you haven't learned to post Brand+model+photos?

Comment

Nah this is just a rant post, buying/replacing boards is not economically feasible (can't afford, can't pass the buck), highly doubt it's something simple at this point after triage.

Green LED turns on and stays on until power (either remote or power button, the NTC short out relay clicks/is working), no blink codes hence concluding a failed main board as the manual I found indicates it should blink codes if I disconnect the inverter board, but it doesn't. So that pisses me off...

Btw nomoresonys I like your name due to the irony in my situation since the TV is a ... Sony Now it'd be interesting why Sony is so bad...share!

Comment

did you try an update via usb, could work if this is one that does the update automatically without any remote clicks needed, my old kdl did it automatically. Have had some pretty bad luck with sonys, there is one good thing about them tho, that is they are not samsungs.

Comment

LOL...

Alas kind of ironic here, I was able to restore two samsungs to functional condition (granted one was just bad backlight LEDs, so ezpz).

Well, I have little hope that the board actually is functional at this point so chances are USB doesn't work, but thanks, worth trying if FW is available. I can see that it at least is supplying USB power but the board is probably "light's on, but nobody's home" situation.

BTW audio would be interesting, alas with the backlight out, can't use menus to turn on if it's an option. The samsungs (now have three, the CCFL LCD, LED LCD, and my DLP) had an option to play tones on power up, wonder if the older bravia models could do the same (if there was some way to enable it...) Alas of course I usually turn it off, maybe I should leave it on as a first line of defense on figuring out if the board failed or not the next time they fail.
            Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-12-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

does the tv power on and off with the remote, as in the solid green light goes on and off with remote? thats what mine did, an update fixed it.

Comment

Yep solid green light with remote on and off, alas, it doesn't seem to read the update. Might need to try other USB sticks but don't have much hope...

Comment

Oh weird... there is some sort of life but not much...

I have this SD to USB adapter that I was using for the FW update. When the TV is turned on from the remote, the LED flashes once real quick, about 0.2 seconds.

This behavior differs from when I plug the SD to USB adapter in a wall wart where it turns on and stays on... so it looks like the TV is doing something, unsure what though... hmm!

This behavior is repeatable, I can make the USB SD adapter LED blink by turning the TV on and off from the remote or side panel.

Comment

whats the model number

Comment

Service manual is here: https://servicemanuals.us/sony/tv/kd...l-46s5100.html

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        Oh weird... there is some sort of life but not much...

I have this SD to USB adapter that I was using for the FW update. When the TV is turned on from the remote, the LED flashes once real quick, about 0.2 seconds.

This behavior differs from when I plug the SD to USB adapter in a wall wart where it turns on and stays on... so it looks like the TV is doing something, unsure what though... hmm!

This behavior is repeatable, I can make the USB SD adapter LED blink by turning the TV on and off from the remote or side panel.
                        ok, sonys can be fussy, good idea you have to try another usb, maybe skip the adapter and just use the thumb drive in the hdmi port.

Comment

Tried a few USB in the USB port, no dice... some don't light, some just blink once... is there an override, will it flash firmware if the current version is the same as the flash version?

Comment

so if you look real close with a flashlight and hit menu button theres no text or anything that you can detect?

Comment

Couldn't see anything on screen as far as I can tell but not sure where to look. (Also some of these displays are so dark from the front that maybe I need a bigger flashlight ...)
                              I should say Bravia in the center on boot? Didn't seem to see this...

Comment

is the optical out port lit red on the mainboard.

Comment

Check the fuse on the t-con, I had one similar Sony model that had an open fuse and that was all that was wrong.

Comment

The optical out LED is NOT lit It flashes briefly when turning off.

I don't think it's tcon at this point, unless the tcon affects the main board functionality?

Comment

hmmm... if I leave it unplugged and then try to do FW update one of my USB stick blinks a few times for a total of a second before it stops. If I don't unplug and power cycle, it only blinks once for less than 0.2 seconds and stays dark.

Comment

BTW, what I do wonder... should I investigate further and then find the panel bad, or should this be deemed a lost cause already since the inverter seems to be bad?

Comment

Working...
                                        X