Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony KD-65X7000E - Screen double images for first few minutes then back to normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KD-65X7000E - Screen double images for first few minutes then back to normal

Originally posted by Diah View Post
    could you show us the mainboards?

did you warm up the mb with hair dryer then turn on ?
    Hmm - I have not but will do try this later.
    MB attached.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Sony KD-65X7000E - Screen double images for first few minutes then back to normal

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      Ok, I bet it's similar to this 60X690E, if so it's tougher than most to get to those boards, being that you can't easily lay it down, might want to try all other troubleshooting before tackling that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr42F0JYq38
      It's much tougher than this...

Comment

something to try, go into menu and try turning backlights very low, if no backlight adjustment try turning the brightness down, see if the double image changes any.
        Yes, I have try everything that can be adjusted, and either set them to OFF or lowest level. No difference at all.

After 3-4 minute - the display will be perfect, regardless of the settings.

Comment

ok, so are you saying that even without the tape in place that the tv works ok after warmup?

Comment

Here the tech gets it down to one line covered but sometimes more need to be covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrRhw7-ZII
            And Yes - this is what I need to explore to see which line(s) needs to be block since a blanket block causes thin horizontal lines that are not visible on complex video, but becomes apparent on white or light color images.

Comment

ok, so are you saying that even without the tape in place that the tv works ok after warmup?
              Yes, every time! And the display quality is perfect, much better the taped display!

Comment

thats a head scratcher, wonder if it's a marginal capacitor somewhere that will work ok once tv warms up.

Comment

thats a head scratcher,
                  hair dryer & freez Spray help allot.

i would suspect the DC to DC on MB the area closed to the Socket which come from PWB

Comment

could you show us the mainboards?

did you warm up the mb with hair dryer then turn on ?
                    Just tried - no difference.
                    I turn hair dryer to high heat, blown around the big heatsink are for ~1 minute, then around the entire MB for another ~1 minute.
                    Turn the power on - still took 3-4 minutes for double images to go away..

Comment

hair dryer & freez Spray help allot.

i would suspect the DC to DC on MB the area closed to the Socket which come from PWB
                      Tried again focusing hot air on this region - no observable difference.
                      Attached Files

Comment

try on t-con if didnt help---- log in service menu and make factory reset

Comment

try on t-con if didnt help---- log in service menu and make factory reset
                          Seems to be a bit faster - turn on TV with double images and goes away in ~2 minutes with hot air over entire Tcon. Then again it could be due to TV already warmed up slightly over few trials.
                          Will repeat hot air on Tcon tomorrow after TV cooled off completely.

*I have done factory reset a few times now, but no difference..

Comment

well with warming parts it should imeditly shaw good result... not just faster lol..... try tomorrow too on power boards... who knows u could find the issue
                            about factory reset... i mean from service menu... not from normal setting menu

Comment

well with warming parts it should imeditly shaw good result... not just faster lol..... try tomorrow too on power boards... who knows u could find the issue
                              about factory reset... i mean from service menu... not from normal setting menu
                              This morning - blown hot air across all 3 boards - PSU, MB and TCon, even abit on the driver boards. But no effects - in fact it took ~5 minutes to stabilize as expected from truly cold start.

I also did a Service Menu -> Test Reset. This is the only option that sounded like a Factory reset, and in fact it is the same steps to setup the TV. After it is setup, powered down to cool off for 30 minutes.

Now it seems to be a bit faster, stabilized in ~2-3 minutes..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just made this observation with video taken (can't attached it..):
                                When powered up cold - the image is doubled and stay doubled for ~5sec, then becomes clear for a split-sec, then reverted to double. This appears to flicker every ~5 sec or so.

As time progressed, the double image duration became shorter and shorter, and eventually after 3-5 minutes of shorter and shorter "flickering" it stops and display is perfectly stabled.

Sounds like leaking capacitor getting charged up slowly and eventually fully charged??
                                Attached Files

Comment

if you call system menu or setting the screen will display the letters / symbol correct ..please confirm this..

i can see there are many new update for example for HK dated 1.3.2023..
                                  Last edited by Diah; 03-13-2023, 02:56 AM.

Comment

if you call system menu or setting the screen will display the letters / symbol correct ..please confirm this..

i can see there are many new update for example for HK dated 1.3.2023..
                                    Attached you will see System Menu Text and Home Screen graphics are in sync - they are either both clear or both double, together.

I did a software update - the 1st time it did downloaded and updated and rebooted. Subsequent times all indicate "No New Update"..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

ok.. so its better for you life with it as its.... at time it become worse.. u need to access panel buffer boards it may the issue become more easily to find the... right now its hard even there are caps leak. and i dont think replacment parts will solve it right now.

Comment

ok.. so its better for you life with it as its.... at time it become worse.. u need to access panel buffer boards it may the issue become more easily to find the... right now its hard even there are caps leak. and i dont think replacment parts will solve it right now.
                                        Alright - looks like last resort is the lay it flat, remove all the blockages to gain access and to tinker with the panel buffer boards to see if anything changes for the better.

Comment

I have been doing more research on double images issues in this forum, and
                                          many experts here talked about driver board connecting to the COF bond tabs, and tearing off the faulty ones.
                                          This Sony model is very thin and slim, and does not looks like there is any space for the bonding tabs, but certainly must have some connection to the COF driver embedded onto the screen.
                                          I thought possibly the connection is loose when cold, and OK when heated up.
                                          So I just gave it a try: hot hair-dryer blowing onto the the bottom-left corner for 1-2 minutes, then power up.

AND YES - THIS IS IT!!
                                          Perfect and stable screen - no more double images on cold power up!

Although after power down, cooled for ~30 minutes or so, everything back to square when re-starting, but it is now very clear what to fix - remove everything to expose that bottom left corner and do whatever it takes to secure the connection.

Yay - looking forward to weekend to set up the table-top space!!
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X