Pic 2: Sacon caps on a Soyo board
    Pic 3: CapXon out of a Samsung SyncMaster
    Pic 4: More CapXon out of another SyncMaster
    Pic 5: YC caps in an Allied PSU
    Pic 6: Teapo caps from an SP-350
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Albatron PX865PE Pro with 11 GSC LE 1000uF 6.3V 8mm bulging/puking capacitors
      Attached Files

Comment

Gsc?

Comment

What idiot would put GSC and Sanyo on the same board?

Comment

They designed the CPU VRM with decent caps but completely neglected the rest of the board. POOR.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

get it to last the warrenty at the lowest possible cost.
              Originally posted by Rulycat View Post

Comment

here is my broken Samxon GF (M) 2200μF 10V from my PSU (Chieftec CFT-650-14C 650W) bought in 2008 and having survived several power failures

and the Trec replacement I got and probably change again

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c00kiemon5ter View Post
                  here is my broken Samxon GF (M) 2200μF 10V from my PSU (Chieftec CFT-650-14C 650W) bought in 2008 and having survived several power failures

and the Trec replacement I got and probably change again

Dude, that 'Trec' cap is gonna blow very soon, look, only rated for 85C!

If that SamXon cap blew, then the Trec will follow suit soon after!
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                    Dude, that 'Trec' cap is gonna blow very soon, look, only rated for 85C!

If that SamXon cap blew, then the Trec will follow suit soon after!
                    yep, very probable but that's all I could get at the time - that Trec or a Lelon..

the good news is that the psu works!

I am now looking to get a proper quality cap to replace the Samxon

Comment

If you haven't seen this thread yet, check it out. Some crappy no-name 'CS-180' PSU (Pics included in link!). It baffled me so much, it has its very own thread

-Ben
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                        In my pile of cannibalizable scrap I have a ~2000 vintage P4 Willamette IBM mobo with a row of eight or so GSC caps, they were flanked by a couple Panasonics at each end. All the GSC's, without a single exception, are busted. The Panasonics seem to be still OK twelve years later.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by TELVM; 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Evercon....From a D-Link gigabit switch
                          Attached Files

Comment

Canicon 1mF 6.3V in a Tekram dual slot-1 motherboard.

Also a brand new Nic capacitor. This thing was oozing BRAND NEW! ESR is off the charts. Not sure why it was bad from the start...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by eccerr0r; 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                              Canicon 1mF 6.3V in a Tekram dual slot-1 motherboard.

Also a brand new Nic capacitor. This thing was oozing BRAND NEW! ESR is off the charts. Not sure why it was bad from the start...
                              NIC capacitors are spotty. Some are fine, a few go bad - I don't know how long they last either.
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I got a Panasonic cap from Digi-Key that had yellow stuff on one of its leads and around the lead hole in the bung. I still used it.

Comment

I've seen Evercon and OST caps in a Pace satellite receiver (made in China) from 2008 - most of the other Pace models use Chemi-Con and Elna units - I am not sure what they use today...
                                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Failed TWBOR caps inside a D-Link DSL-504G ADSL router. This unit was used for less than half a year before I got ADSL2. PCB info: 8DSL504G.4D1, date code 0516 (solder side).

The five big GSC caps are all 25V 1000uF.
                                    Medium sized CapXons are 35V 220uF KF series.
                                    Black TWBORs are 25V 47uF.
                                    Blue TWBORs are 25V 100uF PSR series. C14 and C96 both with bungs pushed out and minor leakage.

Yeah, even GSC manged to outlast those TWBOR crap caps.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                      Failed TWBOR caps inside a D-Link DSL-504G ADSL router. This unit was used for less than half a year before I got ADSL2. PCB info: 8DSL504G.4D1, date code 0516 (solder side).

The five big GSC caps are all 25V 1000uF.
                                      Medium sized CapXons are 35V 220uF KF series.
                                      Black TWBORs are 25V 47uF.
                                      Blue TWBORs are 25V 100uF PSR series. C14 and C96 both with bungs pushed out and minor leakage.

Yeah, even GSC manged to outlast those TWBOR crap caps.
                                      Cool!

Never heard of that 'TWBOR' brand before.

LOL, if you left them there any longer, they would have exploded (no safety vent!)
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

TWBOR are very popular in D-Link products....I've seen at least one of them in every D-Link switch I've opened whether it be old, new, high end, low end....Almost all of them are just those small caps with no vent stamp

Comment

One of the bad caps seemingly did try to vent, the top is actually bulged on C14.

Comment

Working...
                                          X