X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by trodas View Post
    (I did not trust Chemicon too much, maybe because of the "con" in the name?)
    Rubycon, Nichicon and Suncon also have "con" in their names, save the worrying for when you come across the likes of Sacon, Evercon, Rulycon, Canicon and Su'scon...

The more common cap failures don't have "con" in the brand name - Fuhjyyu, CapXon, YC ("Saturn"), OST, Teapo, G-Luxon, Chhsi, Lelon, GSC, Samwha, Samxon (yes, Samxon is here as I only rate them about equal to Teapo)...

Comment

It's only natural for older companies to have con in their name... it comes from "condensator" or "condenser" ... the name before "capacitor" became more popular.

Comment

Heihachi_73 - good points, sir. There are too many con's in caps brands names... But looks like Rubycon or Nichicon caps did not fail nearly as much, as their known bad "brothers"... Yet sometime the name seems to tell the whole story

ASrock K7S741 mobo, caps Taicon, user KEOSAN, SHW forum

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

I'm surprised all of those Taicon caps failed, I would guess it was getting tons of ripple from the PSU or very poor ventilation

Comment

I've seen it happen on lots of ASRock boards.

Comment

Taicon HD and HI is notorious for failing on motherboards (by no coincidence, a member here a few years back reported the failure of a 1200uF, 16V Taicon HD on the +12V rail of a 400W Lite-on PSU). This is why people consider Taicon about average as far as Taiwanese brands go - on par with a good batch of Teapos. Capacitors get nice treatment in low stress and overbuilt environments like Delta power supplies. No +3.3V AGP cards? A number of AGP cards do use the +3.3V rail but also use the +5V and +12V rails concomitantly... albeit rather old ones but still...
              Last edited by Wester547; 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Bad capacitor from my motherboard MSI 845 PRO.
                1x G·LUXON 1000 MF 6.3V.
                Attached Files
                Gaming pc:
                nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                Workshop PC:
                Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                Server:

Comment

My Asus P4G800-V with bad 1800uf 6.3V KZG's

Comment

^ Make that FAKE KZG's! Real ones have a brown sleeve with white print!

The REAL kzg's did have problems though. But again, they are brown with white print. Even the datasheet from Nippon Chemi-Con says so

The green KZE's (they aren't bulged either) look real.
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

The REAL kzg's did have problems though. But again, they are brown with white print. Even the datasheet from Nippon Chemi-Con says so

so Asus was victimized?

Hilarious...

Comment

i wondered about that.had some industrial board a while back with blue/purple kzg's.blown of course.
                        Originally posted by ben7 View Post

Comment

2 Bad SamXon 680µf 25v Capacitors in a Samsung SyncMaster 220wm

1 Bad Su'scon 1000µf 10v Cap in the same monitor, only 1 month after the original repair.

Notice in the first picture, which was taken June 29th, that the Su'scon cap appears perfect, but after replacing the SamXon caps with Nichicon caps, after 1 month the Su'Scon cap suddenly failed.

Comment

Originally posted by exevolution View Post
                            2 Bad SamXon 680µf 25v Capacitors in a Samsung SyncMaster 220wm
                            Very often by being very close to those heatsinks (source of heat radiation), the capacitors have a higher tendency to fail faster.

1 Bad Su'scon 1000µf 10v Cap in the same monitor, only 1 month after the original repair.

Notice in the first picture, which was taken June 29th, that the Su'scon cap appears perfect, but after replacing the SamXon caps with Nichicon caps, after 1 month the Su'Scon cap suddenly failed.
                            Those Nichicons VZ series aren't exactly the recommended replacement type. Should be using Nichicon low ESR and/or low impedance ones such as HE, HM, HN, HZ, PA, PW, PS and/or PM series.

Comment

Originally posted by lexwalker View Post
                              Very often by being very close to those heatsinks (source of heat radiation), the capacitors have a higher tendency to fail faster.

Those Nichicons VZ series aren't exactly the recommended replacement type. Should be using Nichicon low ESR and/or low impedance ones such as HE, HM, HN, HZ, PA, PW, PS and/or PM series.
                              Care to explain about the low ESR? I'm not an expert, I'm a DIY repairman trying to save a couple hundred bucks. These Nichicon caps were listed on amazon I found them by searching 680µf 25v and in the description they happened to be listed as being good for Samsung monitor and TV repair
                              Last edited by exevolution; 08-01-2013, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Care to explain about the low ESR? I'm not an expert, I'm a DIY repairman trying to save a couple hundred bucks. These Nichicon caps were listed on amazon I found them by searching 680µf 25v and in the description they happened to be listed as being good for Samsung monitor and TV repair
                                These monitors use SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply) thus usually the recommended capacitors are low ESR and/or low impedance type. Being low ESR and/or low impedance type, they can filter the high frequency ripples (as a result of SMPS topology) better than standard general purpose capacitors. In other words, the capacitor's very low internal resistance/impedance allows ripples to pass to ground easily (thus giving a smoother voltage rail). Before deciding on which capacitors to use, you've should have done more proper research and inquiries.

Comment

So then these should be good replacements then? I don't want shit to catch fire on me so I'll take your advice and replace with low ESR

These are good right?
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251113994044
                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251096790610

Comment

Also check out this GeForce 7600GT I found in my closet, had no idea why it failed until now!

I wish I still had my old AMD K6-2 computer and could check the caps on it, that thing always gave me trouble to the point I had to continually underclock it just to keep it stable. I bet the capacitors were terrible in that. This site makes me want to check all the hardware I've ever had fail for bad capacitors.
                                    Last edited by exevolution; 08-01-2013, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Forget ebay, especially when you're in US (assuming by your choice of ebay seller).

This site has an online store which stocks the low esr capacitors.
                                      If you don't want to use this site's store, there's digikey.com or mouser.com which are good distributors of original parts, not old stocks or fake capacitors.

Go for Panasonic FM or Panasonic FR series if you can, they have a high lifetime of about 6000-10000 hours @ 105c compared to just 2-4000h for Nichicon HM, and this matters inside the monitor.

If you want to fix the video card, get Nichicon HM or HN from this site, or if you want to get from the other two sites, use Panasonic FM if you can't find nichicon hm or hn there anymore (these two series are discontinued since sometime at the beginning of this year or end of last year)

But replace the 6.3v rated caps on the video card with capacitors rated for 10-16v and same capacitance, and the 16v ones replace with 25v rated capacitors.

Those capacitors are of a particular series called Sacon FZ which had exaggerated specs in the datasheet and manufacturers fell for it, but in reality they are just bad.

Capacitors with same capacitance but higher voltage rating get close or match the specs that were listed in the datasheets for this series of bad capacitors.

Comment

So then these should be good replacements then? I don't want shit to catch fire on me so I'll take your advice and replace with low ESR

These are good right?
                                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/251113994044
                                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/251096790610
                                        Rather than eBay, I would recommend online stores such as RS Components, Farnell, Mouser, and Digikey. For long life capacitors (greater than 3000 hours), look for Panasonic FR, Nichicon HE and Rubycon ZLJ series.

Comment

I don't see any Panasonic caps on this site but I do see the ones you're talking about on ebay. Panasonic FM 680µf 10v which were in the 2nd ebay link I posted above.

I wound up going with both links I posted above because they are from the same seller who is in the same state as me and money is tight right now I need to save every penny. Cut back on my shipping costs and I want to get it fast.

The monitor is already 6 or 7 years old, heavily used. I honestly don't think I need the longest life possible capacitors because the CFL will probably burn out long before this next set of caps bust. And I also think they lasted this long because of the low year round temperature around here, if I lived in the desert or something, it probably would have died years ago
                                          Last edited by exevolution; 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X