X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody here still uses Win 7?

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
    Happy new year to everyone!
    Anyway, Windows 7 are totally not supported on this kind of hardware and there is really no point and time to experiment with hacks on registry and custom drivers, so I run W10.
    I have gotten Win7 running on "unsupported hardware" many times. It's usually just a matter of slipstreaming the USB3 drivers into the install media, and then tracking own drivers. The Win 7 help forums usually have links to everything you need.

I have a Win10 VM on my Win 7 machine just in case (TurboTax won't run on Win 7 so I run it on that the one time a year I need to)

Comment

Back in December 2017 I hacked a driver to have Windows 7 on a customer's laptop that had an i5 that did not support them. If I remember correct the cpu was i5-7200U and there were no W7 drivers for the integrated graphics. This laptop did very well all those years, but last summer customer came back for hardware upgrade (SSD+RAM) and he demanded to install W10.

This is just one of several stories. All of them have 1 thing in common. People demand W10 and look at you like an alien if you suggest them Windows 7 or Linux.

Another thing that bothers me is that if back then there were already issues while trying to install W7 on newer hardware, things would be much worse now and at this point it's just not worth it anymore, other than for fun / experimenting of course.

Comment

I read the EULA on WIN10. They own your data.
        I just fired up an old Dell desktop. I t had 2 hdd in it. Win7 64 Pro, and Win10. It seems Win 10 hides everything a couple layers down. It also assumes you want their Cloud service, Mail Client, and to shop at their app. store. The Win 10 drive Had Office and lots of other nice stuff. But Win10 itself just annoys me. Constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
          I read the EULA on WIN10.
          your probably one of only a few hundred people that did that!

Comment

I haven't read it either, I don't really care....but feel free to quote the paragraph in the EULA where it says you no longer own any data on your computer.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

that BS is actually common now - specially in any cloud connected shit.
              autodesk products spring to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                that BS is actually common now - specially in any cloud connected shit.
                autodesk products spring to mind.
                Cloud services and social media outlets are a different world than your OS when it comes to your data; and its ownership. The OS doesn't take ownership of it and you're free to do as you want to/with it. The 'delete' key works, and so does dban & killdisk.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

maybe, unless it saves drafts to the remote server by default!
                  remember, we are dealing with conmen and filth headed by the vaccinator-general Dr.Gates (who doesnt hold a doctorate in anything, nevermind a medical degree)

Comment

There's a HDD around here somewhere with a Win7 install on it that I used for gaming. Although it hasn't been used in many years so it may not even work anymore. It needs to be booted up one last time to grab some data files, but will likely get scrapped after that.

Win7 was the last user oriented Windows that actually seemed OK to me. It's what I migrated to after WinXP support ended, but by that time, I wasn't using Windows much other than at work, and they mainly had Win7 there for end users. It's understandable why some people are hanging on to it, but I personally wouldn't want to be using it as an Internet connected computer without security updates. If Windows is needed for compatibility reasons, I'll just put it in a VM. A lot of OSS applications keep improving every year so I find few reasons to even bother with Windows anymore, other than dealing with institutions that are completely invested in Microsoft products.
                    Last edited by zaphar; 02-06-2022, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphar View Post
                      There's a HDD around here somewhere with a Win7 install on it that I used for gaming. Although it hasn't been used in many years so it may not even work anymore.
                      it will be fine - harddrives retain data for decades!!

It's understandable why some people are hanging on to it, but I personally wouldn't want to be using it as an Internet connected computer without security updates.
                      i hate to break it to you, it was one of the last "security" updates that added the same spyware aka "Telemetry" that win10 has.

use Linux and be free of such problems

Comment

maybe, unless it saves drafts to the remote server by default!
                        remember, we are dealing with conmen and filth headed by the vaccinator-general Dr.Gates (who doesnt hold a doctorate in anything, nevermind a medical degree)

LOL! If M$ had the capacity to save copies of everyone's data onto their servers (and make sense of it), I'd honestly be impressed with their server storage capacity and ability to process it.

Truth is, M$ just wants to sell you their next OS and subscriptions to Office 365 and nothing more... in fewer words, just keep the cash flow going. That means updates and scare tactics to make you believe how their next OS is the only and safest thing you can use.

There's a HDD around here somewhere with a Win7 install on it that I used for gaming. Although it hasn't been used in many years so it may not even work anymore. It needs to be booted up one last time to grab some data files, but will likely get scrapped after that.
                        Pretty sure it would work.
                        Instead of scrapping it though, perhaps consider Dbanning / low-level formatting and donating / selling / giving away.

Win7 was the last user oriented Windows that actually seemed OK to me. It's what I migrated to after WinXP support ended, but by that time, I wasn't using Windows much other than at work, and they mainly had Win7 there for end users.
                        When Windows XP support ended, I was like, OK and just continued using it... and I'm still using it.

Comment

windows is more invasive than you think.
                          try running router logging and start up a windows laptop with a webcam on it - it will snap a frame and try to send it somewhere.

windows is a survailance system with a poor o.s. tacked on as an afterthought.

another personal observation you can repeat, Android phones.
                          some of them keep snapping stills from the front cam every second or so when the screen is active.

you can see this by watching it from another camera device - it strobes an IR led each frame to illuminate the target without them knowing.
                          blink - blink - blink, it's fucking blatant once you see it.
                          i dont know if it's related to a make of fone or a version of android or a specific app,
                          but i'v noticed it a lot recently - even on utube video's where someone has a fone for feedback.

Comment

I did a fresh install of Win7 SP1, Windows Update server will not connect at all because MS obsoleted SHA-1.
                            Had to first update their servicing stack security to SHA-2 and a few hoops to get those two updates KB4474419, KB4490628 installed.
                            Literally 1GB of "important" updates then happen, I go with them for the security aspect. Don't have money to replace my scanner right now.

I've had my Android phone -by itself, turn on any of: WiFi hotspot, Wifi, Bluetooth mysteriously every few months.
                            All this I turn off to get better battery life, and when the phone uses up the battery like crazy, I know the little google elf is using my phone to scan all that's around me.
                            The phone turns on these services when I drive out of town. Just creepy.

Comment

the wifi/BT/GPS is being turned on by the google services framework,
                              i'm surprised you noticed, it's supposed to grab a GPS fix, and do a scan of the wireless stuff, then shut it all off again - or restore it to it's previous state i should say.
                              the BT can also be activated now by the covid tracking app that is embeded in the o.s.

thats why i only run fones now with custom roms in them - totally de-googled.

Comment

the wifi/BT/GPS is being turned on by the google services framework,
                                i'm surprised you noticed, it's supposed to grab a GPS fix, and do a scan of the wireless stuff, then shut it all off again - or restore it to it's previous state i should say.
                                the BT can also be activated now by the covid tracking app that is embeded in the o.s..
                                Links please, there is no reason or logic if they were doing as you say to indicate it was going on.

Comment

go look on xda site, no shortage of talk about it when it started happening.

it's google trying to create a map of hotspots by linking open wifi to gps locations - probably.
                                  unless you mean da ViRuS framework app,
                                  that is creating a log of other phone mac's you come within range of,
                                  you can install a gui that will interact with it to show you the info - but you shouldnt because the license agreement is very very bad!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X