Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell PVR cap replacement

Hi all,
    I have recently replaced 6 bad caps on our Bell 9241 PVR. In the one location I had significant difficulty removing the old cap so much so that I think that the location is damaged. I'm wondering if it is possible to somehow fix this location. Please see attached photos.
    Attached Files

Re: Bell PVR cap replacement

Pictures not that good. You can repair traces with some wire, or solder cap. leads to good trace.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

ehew.....capC119 trace looks breached. can you remove that cap again, alcohol scrube the area and give us a top and bottom GOOD pic?

Comment

Cap replacement on these Bell PVR units must be done carefully with not too much heat. 350C should be ok. The PCB is not robust, and pulling up or yanking on the capacitors, or wiggling side-to-side to remove the capacitors like many people do will certainly lead to damaged traces in these units.

If you have bad caps, note the voltage, and capacitance, and polarity, and try to snip the leads to remove the cap before attempting to de-solder or remove the leads.

Add lots of flux, and fresh leaded solder to make it easier.

Even with experience it is easy to damage traces on these PVR boards doing a cap replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X