• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello everyone.

Comment

My name is George! I am a 30 year old husband and father. I have always loved electronics! I fix everything. I get a bit excited if something I own, that is repairable, breaks I get pretty excited at the new challenge. From vehicles to construction; electronics to fabricating, I am either building or fixing things.

Its not just electronics I work on. I have worked in community development and psycho-social rehabilitation for almost 10 years now! I spent a year in Nairobi, Kenya, building technical colleges in the slums using car batteries, Raspberry Pis, and Code Academy(When that was a big deal). I trained teachers to walk students, who live in dirt shanty's without electricity, through computer literacy and programming courses. I then worked with international companies to hire on part-time, low-skilled, programmers. To people living off of a dollar a day, $7.25/hour was transformative. I miss those days!

Anyhow, I stumbled across this forum because my 2 year old son dropped my Asus ROG G15 G512LW laptop and broke the screen. After replacing the screen with a new one(A fix I was familiar with) I discovered the fall caused something serious because, while there was an image on the screen if I shined a flashlight on it, there was no back-light. Research told me it was bad SMD Component of some sort.

I was incredibly surprised by my ignorance, given my background. What the heck was an "SMD Component"? Well, that rabbit hole led me to hours of daily study for 2 weeks. 70 hours of videos, tutorials, and online courses gave me a basic understanding of modern circuits but... I needed schematics for my laptop and real people trying to troubleshoot this problem. My search led me to this forum and diligently searched for my issue but... Nobody really had one for my laptop. So I created an account and started downloading every Asus ROG picture, board-view, and schematic I could find here. I compared them looking for patterns in Asus manufacturing process and I found them!

Here's the catch... I have never soldered circuit boards, tested motherboards, read schematics, and done anything else related to fixing this issue. I had to chew through it every step of the way. I also needed tools to work on components that were as small as a grain of rice. All I had was a multi-meter and the leads were far too large to accurately test pins. So I researched on this forum tools and ordered what I needed. Soldering iron kit, decent quality hot air station, ESD and heat protection, tweezers, every basic SMD component, magnifying glass, electric magnifier, etc...

After so much research and waiting for parts I finally fixed my laptop!

In the past 2 weeks I have learned so much here so I am going to share what I learned fixing this model of board and hopefully I can help someone too!

Comment

Thanks to everyone ..

Comment

Hello everyone

Comment

Hi everyone.
            Glad to be a part of this forum. Hope to offer some of my help and insight and also receive some of that karma as well.
            Stay safe.
            Cheers.

Comment

Hello all! I'm from Montreal, Canada. I fix stuff as a hobby. I'm happy to have found this forum as it looks pretty active. Thanks for letting me in.

Comment

Hello, I have had this account for quite a few years and have gained tons of knowledge through reading threads on this forum. Thank you to everyone for being so helpful and willing to share information.

Comment

hi ,....brother's... i am also new comer here.

Comment

Hi all. My name is Dave. I'm just a novice but have been fairly successful with simple electronics repair. Looking to gain more knowledge and do my own repairs.

Comment

Hi there fellas, greetings from Indonesia

Comment

Hi everybody, thanks for welcoming me to your very handy site..!!

Cheers from Amsterdam..

Maddog

Comment

Hello fellow lifelong learners.....
                          having read a number of posts, I can see I'm way outclassed ..... but then, that's why I'm here
                          thanks to everyone who tries to help out and donates generously of their time and expertise
                          happy holidays!

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm looking forward to getting access to a wealth of knowledge from all of you.

Comment

Hello from Wisconsin.

I found the forum looking for info on how to fix a blown 5V Camera Line on a Macbook Pro

I have a day job but enjoy fixing computer as a hobby, nothing more satisfying than being to save something that would have been thrown away and give it a second life.

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hi guys, long time registered.

Only now starting to get into board repair, so any help along the way is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Comment

Hi! mi name is Luciano, from Argentina. i'm a electronic technishian with 28 years on computers repair.
                                    Hace 10 años mas dedicado a la microelectronica, reparando notebooks (laptops)
                                    Me uno a badcaps porque es el grupo mas correcto que he visto hasta ahora. voy a contribuir en todo lo que esté a mi alcance en la resolución de fallas y aportando lo que tenga en mi banco de datos esquemas y bios. Gracias!

Comment

Hi, I'm just a guy trying to repair a laptop for a friend. I'm not familiar with this forum but just from browsing around this looks great! Thank you for building this place and keeping it running and happy holidays everyone!

Comment

Re: Asus ROG GL753ve motherboard schematic

Hello Guys,
                                        I have an Asus laptop ROG GL753ve and it is dead only the power indicator light is on. And the fan is running, and the keyboard lit in on. But the screen is black and nothing else shows on it. I did the hard reset as suggested by Asus support group, but no luck.
                                        I checked all voltages on the mother board and it's missing 1.3v. So, I need help.
                                        Can somebody provide me the schematic diagram and the component layout, so I can troubleshoot it. Or if anybody has good idea of fixing it, please help. Thanks so much

Comment

Hello, im lookin go for Fluke 289 infos, mainly for the continuity test.

Comment

Working...
                                          X