First Timer - Mystery capacitor identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Timer - Mystery capacitor identification

Hello all. First post on this forum. Am resurrecting an Alienware tower I acquired at an estate sale. This is the first time changing out caps, and need some guidance.

The mobo is an Intel D850MV/D850EMV2 with a few bulging caps. A couple are 3300uF/6.3v KZG series, which I plan to swap for Panasonic EEU-FM0J332.

However, this silver one is a mystery. The logo sort of matches an old G-Luxon, but I can't find the series anywhere. Was thinking about swapping for EEU-FM1A152L, which has similar ESR/Ripple specs as the KZG replacement above. Thoughts?

Also, if some of the caps are bulging, should I be replacing all of the other caps even though they look ok?

Many thanks for the assistance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Retrogator; 07-11-2019, 10:31 AM.

Re: First Timer - Mystery capacitor identification

silver one is HD series, cant remember the make but i'v seen them in playstation2's a lot.

Comment

They're made by Nichicon, and you can probably get an exact replacement.

Comment

a rambus 478 P4? Might not be worth your effort.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          a rambus 478 P4? Might not be worth your effort.
          It depends on what it's functions are. You'd be surprised the relics I repair with proprietary uses that would cost a hell of a lot more to replace than repair.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Thanks on the Nichicon ident. I can't seem to find a specific "HD" series on their website. There is a newer UHD, which looks possible, but without knowing the original HD specs, hard to tell. Will UHD work as a replacement for it?

Do you recommend replacing all caps when recapping a mobo or just the ones that show bad (bulging, gassing, etc)?

Agreed on the mobo pedigree, but the entire rig cost $7 so hard to beat the price. If nothing else, it will be good recapping practice before attempting on something I care more about.

Comment

Never mind on the Nichicon HD series. I found this:

Alternatively, was thinking of replacing it with this Panasonic instead: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-EEU-FM1A152L
              However, this one has a higher ripple current spec than the Nichicon. Is it ok to replace cap with one that has a higher ripple?

Still have question about replacing all caps or just bad ones.

Thanks, all!
              Last edited by Retrogator; 07-12-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

higher ripple rating is better so no issue.

anyway, the problem is that u have picked caps that wont fit because of inappropriate dimensions. the panasonic fm EEU-FM0J332 cap u picked wont fit because its 12.5x20mm in size. the original kzg 3300uF 6.3v cap is 10x25mm in size. it wont fit because the cpu vrm area or the chipset vrm area has the caps pushed close together side by side so the caps must be the correct size to fit in there. use panasonic fr series EEUFR0J332L as the correct sized replacement.

same thing with the EEU-FM1A152L. its a 10x25mm cap and the nichicon hd 1000uF 10v cap is 8x20mm in size. it wont fit because the cap is right up against the main atx connector so it has to be the right size or it wont fit. again, use panasonic fr series EEUFR1A102L as the correct sized replacement.

lastly, tell us or show photos of what types of caps are on the board if u wanna know if u should replace all caps or just bad ones. all caps with the series kzg, kzj from chemicon are replace on sight; nichicon hm, hn and hz caps with 2002-2004 datecodes are also replace on sight.

also check the psu in that alienware tower. most likely the psu failed and took out some of the caps on the motherboard.
                Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM.

Comment

You can use a 6.3v rated polymer capacitor instead..
                  Cap filters 5v or 3.3v from psu.. they probably used 10v rated for better specs or because there was room (same diameter for 6.3v or 10v).

took liberty of filtering list: https://www.digikey.com/short/p95twp
                  All 820..1200 uF 6.3v or 10v polymer caps in 8mm diameter, in stock

Comment

For some reason, Nichicon likes to put "U" in front of their series names in their catalog. Just ignore; similarly, ignore the "(M)" you frequently see next to the series name on many capacitors. "(M)" simply means 20% tolerance.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Didn't pay attention to the sizes, but you're right. There's no space for the 12.5mm's. So many spec details to watch for! Glad to have this forum watching my back!

Copy that on the PSU caps (a Chieftec, so likely the original shipped new with the unit). There's indeed a bulgie in there and also a semi-burned power resistor. I'll post a pic of that too.

Will also inventory the remainder of the caps. Close visual inspection, they all look ok (top and bottom), but will inventory the series of each.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                        anyway, the problem is that u have picked caps that wont fit because of inappropriate dimensions. the panasonic fm EEU-FM0J332 cap u picked wont fit because its 12.5x20mm in size. the original kzg 3300uF 6.3v cap is 10x25mm in size. it wont fit because the cpu vrm area or the chipset vrm area has the caps pushed close together side by side so the caps must be the correct size to fit in there. use panasonic fr series EEUFR0J332L as the correct sized replacement.
                        Isn't Pana FR too high Impedance?
                        And why not go with Polymers instead??

3300uF/6,3V are Polymer levels anyway and, out of my head, at around 12mOhm.
                        Decent Polymers are at 9mOhm. Why not go for those?
                        And they are cheaper as well...

Comment

the OP didnt say where the kzg caps are located on the mobo so i had to look up pics on the web for the mobo. looking at the cpu vrm design, it had around 5 turns for the coils so its an intermediate switching frequency so capacitance matters more than esr. looking at pics of the mobo, the kzgs are either for cpu vrm filtering or chipset filtering.

i dont recommend polys because they dont come in such high capacitance. highest i've seen from japcap poly brands are 2700uF 2.5v. also i dont really know which its really filtering, chipset or cpu vrm so i dont know if 2.5v is high enough.

lastly, yesterday hitto and mariushm made some interesting posts regarding how polys degrade as they age. apparently, the esr hardly changes but capacitance decreases and leakage current increases. so because of this, polymers arent feasible because they dont come in such high capacitance and capacitance will take a hit due to age. since the initial capacitance values arent high to begin with, it may cause issues with this capacitance dependant vrm circuit as the caps age, so better to stick to 10k hour rated electrolytics instead.

Comment

"age" - decades, not a few years.
                            the ones i pulled were from intel boards with the "cartridge slot" cpu's

Comment

the OP didnt say where the kzg caps are located on the mobo so i had to look up pics on the web for the mobo. looking at the cpu vrm design, it had around 5 turns for the coils so its an intermediate switching frequency so capacitance matters more than esr. looking at pics of the mobo, the kzgs are either for cpu vrm filtering or chipset filtering.
                              You seem to have found different pics of the Board than I have...
                              Here is what I've found:
                              http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...id=1181&page=2

And that looks like they use the yellow Sanyo polymer Caps in the CPU VRM...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                You seem to have found different pics of the Board than I have...
                                Here is what I've found:
                                http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...id=1181&page=2

And that looks like they use the yellow Sanyo polymer Caps in the CPU VRM...
                                Stefan has indeed found the right board.

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this project. Attached are pics of the other caps on the board. They all appear to be Nichicon's except...

The previously mentioned KZG's next to the CPU.

These KZE's and the previously mentioned HD near mobo power socket.

This one Chemicon 25v 22uf SME series in the PCI rails (it's the only SME on the board)

Some Nichicon PW's next to the CPU power(?) socket:

The rest of the black caps are Nichicon VR's sprinkled around the board that appear to look ok:

I'm thinking just the KZG and HD need replaced, and leave the others alone?

(Apologies for the upside down pics. Not that way before I upload, and not sure how to fix in the post.)

also check the psu in that alienware tower. most likely the psu failed and took out some of the caps on the motherboard.
                                You were spot on about the PSU. There are a couple G-Luxon caps that are kaput, and a couple of nice charred spots on the circuit board. That will be a fun future project. Will find another good ATX 12V PSU for this mobo in the meantime.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Retrogator; 08-04-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogator View Post
                                  The previously mentioned KZG's next to the CPU.
                                  Can you get 12,5mm diametre caps in that position or is it too cramped there?
                                  If so -> 16V/3300uF Pana FM. Those are perfect replacemens for the 6,3V/3300uF
                                  It might be that those are just there because of capacity, so a 6,3V/3300uF Pana FM might be fine as well...

For the big 1500(?)uF/10V (or was it just 1000uF??), I'd use a "shitty" Polymer such as Kemet A750, for example:
                                  https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/...52BbPj8A%3D%3D

Comment

Hi, I'm a newbie, just joined, and am having problems identifying a capacitor from a Panasonic amplifier from the early to mid 70's.
                                    The cap in question is a small, sky blue can, 10 x 5mm, says SANYO 2,2/16 (the second 2 is smaller than the first, a bit like a lower case number, were there such a thing), and M508 on the other side, plus a polarity stripe.
                                    I imagine it's 16 volt, but am at a loss with the 2,2.
                                    Pics attached, but as I said, it is actually a sky blue colour, not as appears in the pictures.
                                    Any help would be much appreciated

Comment

[QUOTE=patrickblue;909738]Hi, I'm a newbie, just joined, and am having problems identifying a capacitor from a Panasonic amplifier from the early to mid 70's.
                                      The cap in question is a small, sky blue can, 10 x 5mm, says SANYO 2,2/16 (the second 2 is smaller than the first, a bit like a lower case number, were there such a thing), and M508 on the other side, plus a polarity stripe.
                                      I imagine it's 16 volt, but am at a loss with the 2,2.
                                      Pics attached, but as I said, it is actually a sky blue colour, not as appears in the pictures.
                                      Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry, problem lining the pics, here they are.

Comment

It is 2.2µf 16 volts, nothing special, it's a common value

Comment

Working...
                                        X