Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShutUp10, Windows 10 "Telemetry" Silencer. Anyone used it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ShutUp10, Windows 10 "Telemetry" Silencer. Anyone used it?

I found this a bit back, wondering if anyone has tried it.... I don't have any W10 systems in my fleet to test this on, and I won't use a client system as a lab rat for 3rd party stuff (on the rare occasion I take in a repair).... I figured it was a matter of time before things like this started popping up to silence the blatant privacy invasion by Microsoft. Usually when someone brings me a system with 10 on it, they're asking me to switch it back to 7....but I digress. I've used O&O's defrag utility in the past, it always worked well....but with SSD's, defragging is a thing of the past.

Anyway, let us know.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: ShutUp10, Windows 10 "Telemetry" Silencer. Anyone used it?

have heard good things about it.
    i have used this.https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying
    kills the junk in 7 too.

Comment

Hmm, a bit hypocritical especially when you read their privacy policy ...

https://www.oo-software.com/en/company/privacy

Collection of your personal data

On some sites, O&O collects personal identifying information such as your email address, name, private and business addresses and telephone numbers. Data collected on O&O websites will be passed on within O&O, its subsidiaries and subcompanies. Personal and demographic data may be saved and processed outside your home country, including transfers within the Federal Republic of Germany. By using the O&O websites, you agree to all such transfers outside your home country.

Data concerning your computer hardware and software will be automatically collected by O&O and might be passed on to other websites within the O&O website group. This data can include the following: your IP address, browser type, domain name, access type and relevant web addresses.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
        have heard good things about it.
        i have used this.https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying
        kills the junk in 7 too.
        I wouldn't even know what to do with that after downloading the files....and with no manual to read, that didn't help.

I did buy a legit copy (DVD media + key) of W10 pro for like 25 bucks, so I can experiment....its so cheap, is it even worth pirating?! I don't know if there's even a "loader" for 10.
        Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Hmm, a bit hypocritical especially when you read their privacy policy ...

https://www.oo-software.com/en/company/privacy

Collection of your personal data

On some sites, O&O collects personal identifying information such as your email address, name, private and business addresses and telephone numbers. Data collected on O&O websites will be passed on within O&O, its subsidiaries and subcompanies. Personal and demographic data may be saved and processed outside your home country, including transfers within the Federal Republic of Germany. By using the O&O websites, you agree to all such transfers outside your home country.

Data concerning your computer hardware and software will be automatically collected by O&O and might be passed on to other websites within the O&O website group. This data can include the following: your IP address, browser type, domain name, access type and relevant web addresses.
        Yes, a trifle hypocritical for sure. I don't think any of that applies to this portable program (they make a lot of other 'pay stuff'), but I will find out soon when I test it first hand.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

70-80% of the settings O&O disables can be manually done from Settings > Privacy.

The telemetry silencer has its own issues though, by disabling those signals you end up blocking a lot of MS services too that also includes bing. If you are considering using it for client's system then make sure you manually select what you want to disable.

Another important thing, Windows Update might/would enable few of those disabled permissions & telemetry settings so you might need to consider saving the settings you do at the first setup and then set the app to run every week or so just to make sure it follows what you like.

Comment

I use Windows 10 Pro on my Asus G751JY. I have it set up like this:
            1. Local account
            2. Every privacy setting turned off.
            3. Update installation set to manual (Pro allows this)
            3. Start10 for Windows 7-like start menu (I HATE that Metro crap, even in start menu).

Topcat, yes there's a KMS crack available for Windows 10. I had to use it myself (even though my copy is legit), because M$ wouldn't let me activate Windows after motherboard replacement (because it was an upgrade from 8.1). Didn't want to reinstall everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
              I use Windows 10 Pro on my Asus G751JY. I have it set up like this:
              1. Local account
              2. Every privacy setting turned off.
              3. Update installation set to manual (Pro allows this)
              3. Start10 for Windows 7-like start menu (I HATE that Metro crap, even in start menu).

Topcat, yes there's a KMS crack available for Windows 10. I had to use it myself (even though my copy is legit), because M$ wouldn't let me activate Windows after motherboard replacement (because it was an upgrade from 8.1). Didn't want to reinstall everything.
              A phone call or chat session with MS tech support usually takes care of those activation issues.
              CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
              GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I already did some test with utilities like this one, and they usually work more or less.
                I used this utility right now, disable what I wanted and restarted and everything seens ok, it is easy to use and gives an explanation of every setting so you can decide knowing the facts.
                I have various systems with windows 10 instaled, pro and home, every one original upgrades, from windows 7 or 8.1 and I use an Microsoft acount on then.
                If I encounter any issues with the program I'll report then but like topcat I used O&O Defrag years ago and it was very good if not the best.
                I know that a lot of people is concerned about their privacy in Windows 10 but I noticed one curious behaviour, I see every day at the worshop a lot of laptops with the webcam cobered with something... and nobody covers the front camera of their smartphones and they have it in front of their face every day, and when they isntall anything they tap the Ok button faster than I write this paragraf...

Comment

The Problem with those tools is that they can do more harm than good and it's even possible that they destroy the installation if worst comes to worst...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                    The Problem with those tools is that they can do more harm than good and it's even possible that they destroy the installation if worst comes to worst...
                    I suppose, but so could many programs including antivirus (happened before)

Considering this is Windows 10, I'm not sure it's such an issue. Then you have an excuse to install something else.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                      Nothing is worse than an OS taddling on you. If its phoning home, I wont use it anyway, so let it hose the the OS.....I'd wipe it anyway.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I like Windows 10, but I also agree that the options and posibilities to disable,enable, allow on disallow the telemetry should by CLEAR as water not hidden or imposible to reach throght the os interface. It's like MS is saying "we are going to do what we want and don't care a bit if you like it or not".

Comment

Well pretty much! They designed it, they *can* do what they want. If you don't like it, don't use it.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                            Well pretty much! They designed it, they *can* do what they want. If you don't like it, don't use it.
                            ....or modify it to *your/my/our* liking.... This *is* BCN afterall!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

those tools tend to break the Windows store, you have to enable many things to get it to work again.

Comment

I didn't hear about it before!

Comment

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
                                  those tools tend to break the Windows store
                                  That would also be fine with me.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Well if it breaks some non crucial funcionalities who cares. Windows store,the xbox app, and the geolocation services are useless for me. Why a desktop pc needs a geolocation service? Well if I let the imagination fly, I don't find a good reason to that, only bad reasons. But untill now I didn't find any isues after the use of the app.

Comment

Working...
                                    X