Zv6000 PPP017L Powersupply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zv6000 PPP017L Powersupply

I have a HP Zv6000 PPP017L Power-supply, I was wondering if anyone else had one (or a 374427-002, 375117-001, 375126-001, 375143-001, 378768-001, 394208-001, 394903-001, EA350A#ABA, EA350A, HSTNN-HA01, OW135F13, PA-1121-12HD. ) that they could check voltages on. Taking it apart I read Ground at 0, Neutral at 6.2 volts, and V+ at 19.2 volts. Positive to neutral I read 13v. I figure the Powersupply is VERY borked, but am not sure. The laptop being a freebie I'm not sure it works at all, so I want to see others results before I drop cash on a new brick.

Pics included below.
    Attached Files

Re: Zv6000 PPP017L Powersupply

It's not working? The laptop doesn't work with it? Does the laptop run on its battery?

The 6.3v is likely standby power or the on/off control to the PSU. It's not mentioned as an output voltage on the unit.
    The 19.2v sounds close enough to the 18.5v rating because it's unloaded.
    The 13v again sounds correct across 2 outputs not relative to the PSU ground or negative and is the difference of 19 minus 6.

Measure with the laptop connected. What are the voltages relative to the GND connection?

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Same readings along the laptop, which is why I pulled the PS apart, the laptop charging light flicks on and off 2 times a second.
      It's a zv6000 and I've re-soldered the jack to make sure that wasn't it.
      I just figured it flicked off and on due to the voltage tripping a circuit and the circuit resetting due to bad voltage.
      I don't know why the standby voltage would be 6.2 or 13, the laptop it's self is rated for 18.4v at 4.5 amps.
      I've looked across the inter-tubes and it's dump trucks of knowledge for info on this, but I come up short.

I called HP about the PS too and they couldn't give me pin-out voltage, just said they don't make them anymore and directed me to a website that sells referbs/used/overstock.

I figured if anyone's tore apart these power-supplies or knew about the internals people here would.

Comment

Also no the laptop doesn't work with it, and the battery I can't check, due to it being low/off.

Comment

Again, the 13v is the difference between the 19v and 6v. It is not a "used" voltage.

Hook 2 different voltage batteries together with just their negatives connected and put your meter across the positives and read the voltage. You'll see it's the difference between the 2 battery's voltages. It's the same situation here.

>>I just figured it flicked off and on due to the voltage tripping a circuit and the circuit resetting due to bad voltage.<<

Probably a correct conclusion.

My suggestion is to replace the 3 output caps. They're Taicon brand and very likely they have failed. It's a cheap investment (~<$6 with postage) to see if it comes back to life. Otherwise you'll need to buy a new "brick".

You are fortunate that it did not have a catastrophic failure/meltdown as some do.

If you want to try replacing them report back with value(uF)/voltage and diameter/height in mm.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

I understand the potential between the points, is not used, I just was troubleshooting and seeing if anyone had readings of their own. I didn't think laptops had a standby voltage, or did the conversions internally.

I replaced the caps and have the same output voltages, looking under some of the glue it looks like I have some cooked parts. New brick it is.

Comment

All you have to do is load it's output to see if it remains regulated or shuts off. You wrote 18.4V/ 4.5A, so 18.4/4.5= 4.1 Ohms resistance across it's output. If you don't have power resistors of this value you might be able to substitute some combination of incandescent lightbulbs to get near it, I mean regular 110V bulbs not 18V bulbs. Keep in mind it'll be 83W-> lots of heat to be rid of, so resistors or multiple bulbs selected accordingly.
              Last edited by 999999999; 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X