Defective Panasonic TX-P42S31B 5 blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defective Panasonic TX-P42S31B 5 blinks

Hi, first time user and all that. I'm looking for some advice above all else.

My Panasonic TX-P42S31B Plasma TV died the other night. It's 8 years old but in good condition.

When you turn the TV on, it gives you 5 green blinks then turns off again. Nothing works. I have searched the 5 blinks and have concluded that this is an A-board fault.

Is this worth fixing or is the an expensive lump of plastic?

Cheers,

Bod.

Re: Defective Panasonic TX-P42S31B 5 blinks

Green blinks then LED off is likely a sustain board (SN board) fault.

It may be repairable either by sending the board to be repaired or if you have soldering skills you can replace the parts.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Green blinks then LED off is likely a sustain board (SN board) fault.

It may be repairable either by sending the board to be repaired or if you have soldering skills you can replace the parts.
      I am able to solder but would have no idea where to start. I welcome anything you might be able to add. Otherwise I'll cart it off to the repair shop.

Comment

Unlikely to be worth taking a set this old to the repair shop, the labour will kill you (unless you find a good local shop, and they are out there, but slowly dying off.)

If you want to repair your own set:

You ideally have a multimeter and are able to use it.

We will need you to take the back cover off and get us some nice clear pictures of the circuit boards inside the set: manufacturers are fond of changing designs in the middle of a production year, so we need to know exactly what setup of boards your TV is using.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi All,
          I have a panny TX-P42S30B so very similar to the Ops set.
          I'm also getting similar symptoms on power up.

Press on/off power switch on side of tv and get this:
          Three relay clicks,
          Green led flashes really quickly (about 5 or 6 times, difficult to count accurately)
          A final relay click, led stops flashing and tv appears dead.

Nothing comes up on screen ever.

I've done some reading around but I haven't concluded anything concrete.

As it is, the red led doesn't blink at all so the tv doesn't seem to be entering the self diagnostic mode.

If I disconnect the SN board and power up, tv does enter diagnostic mode and repeatedly gives 7 red blinks. But when SN board reconnected, it's back to no red blinks, just the rapid green blinks and relay clicks.

I though if the SN board was at fault it would be represented by red blinks?

Comment

Originally posted by davelister1975 View Post
            Hi, first time user and all that. I'm looking for some advice above all else.

My Panasonic TX-P42S31B Plasma TV died the other night. It's 8 years old but in good condition.

When you turn the TV on, it gives you 5 green blinks then turns off again. Nothing works. I have searched the 5 blinks and have concluded that this is an A-board fault.

Is this worth fixing or is the an expensive lump of plastic?

Cheers,

Bod.
            Hi,
            How did you determine it was a fault with the A board?

Comment

If you want help then please take some clear pictures of the back of the tv. ( without cover ).
              Service manual says 5 blinks is A board but it can be misdiagnosis by the mainboard.
              I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                If you want help then please take some clear pictures of the back of the tv. ( without cover ).
                Service manual says 5 blinks is A board but it can be misdiagnosis by the mainboard.
                I've put some pics here.

I thought the 5 blinks referred to when the red led flashes, repeatedly, at a nice steady rate?
                I've got a rapildly flashing green led, and it only does it once.

Comment

Normally it does.
                  But these sets do not bring up an error code when Vsus is short, they just try to power on then just shut down with either a dead LED or locked green LED and no further action.
                  (Either indicates a fault - but it's most commonly just a dead LED.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    Normally it does.
                    But these sets do not bring up an error code when Vsus is short, they just try to power on then just shut down with either a dead LED or locked green LED and no further action.
                    (Either indicates a fault - but it's most commonly just a dead LED.)
                    Hi tom66.
                    Moreno83 has run me through a few tests and concluded I'll need some replacement parts for my SN board.
                    Just trying to source some components but not really sure who/where is a reliable supplier of them.
                    Last edited by mr. shr; 09-08-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. shr View Post
                      Hi tom66.
                      Moreno83 has run me through a few tests and concluded I'll need some replacement parts for my SN board.
                      Just trying to source some components but not really sure who/where is a reliable supplier of them.
                      Although it will be cheaper, there's a lot of fakes and assured most 30F131 will be. the FDG IGBTs also are out of production so they too are now fake except if you get them from legit wholesalers.

You could try GTV Watford since you're in the UK. They will be more expensive but 100% genuine parts. Do a kit which you probably won't need all the parts but good chance it will work unless the buffer ICs have failed too.

Unless you know what you're doing it will always be a bit of a gamble.
                      Flocko if he's still around does some rebuilds.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PANASONIC...-/151128828955

Comment

Yes he is still around that is,and a second yes on the TNPA5349 SN board (eBay item number:262943717045)

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
                          Yes he is still around that is,and a second yes on the TNPA5349 SN board (eBay item number:262943717045)
                          Good to hear and see the Flocko Alert still works?

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                            You could try GTV Watford since you're in the UK. They will be more expensive but 100% genuine parts. Do a kit which you probably won't need all the parts but good chance it will work unless the buffer ICs have failed too.

[/url]
                            Is there a way to test if the buffer ICs have failed before I start ordering parts?

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
                              Yes, I did come across this in my search but unfortunately that's a lot more than I want to spend on repairing this set.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30F131-PAN...-/151599605427
                                This is a good company used them a few times myself

Comment

I've changed four IGBTs on the SN and the TV now seems to be fully functional.

A massive thanks to you guys for helping me get it fixed, I'm amazed at the collective knowledge you have. Without your assistance, that TV would have gone to my local recycling centre.
                                  Instead, it's now sitting in the living room of my in laws, hopefully ready to give many more years of service!!

Comment

Hi All,
                                    Unfortunately the exact same problem has returned on this tv.
                                    The 4 transistors are shorted. They lasted 2 years.
                                    Can anyone advise where I can get replacement transistors? I see there are a few kits available but I only want 4 transistors. Don't think I need the other parts in the kit so don't want to over spend on parts.

Comment

Working...
                                    X