Laptop motherboard problem / Replacing capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop motherboard problem / Replacing capacitors

I was able to fix the motherboard. Thank you all!

What I actually did was from this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Eyz0sOKR4&feature=fvw . I watched a few f them as there are plenty of them there, got the idea and it worked!

My heatgun has 3 temp. levels- 50oC, 400oC and 570oC. I used the 1st for preheating and them the 2nd but from a little bit far away as 400, according to the videos I found, was too high. If I'm right, 280-320 is the right range. And then let it cool down by blowing 50oC and then left it for a few hours.

Surprisingly, the currupt characters were gone and that 'lagging' window when sliding it disappeared.

Should this thread be useful for something else, the admin could upload the pictures to it because I still can't find how to do that.

Thanks again, I very appreciate your help!
    Last edited by algram; 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Congrats!

You can upload your own pics.
      Down below the write-in [text] box click "Go Advanced".
      In the next screen look for the "Manage Attachments" button down below the text box and click it.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Be careful with heat guns. If it says "heat gun" - don't use it. You can damage, blister or delaminate your chip or board. You might hear a popping sound - that's called outgassing - moisture bursting out from the chip/board. It's not a good thing.
        I'm using dark infrared now for BGAs because of too many problems with using air. Air is great for some things, small QFN chips like maxim pwm controllers, smps controllers, etc (I even use air for dc jacks sometimes)- but be careful when trying to reflow a bga. You might get a quick fix - but without the proper profile to ensure that the solder balls all collapse together properly - your repair will be temporary at best.
        Last edited by precision001; 03-23-2010, 04:55 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Working...
        X