Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another project idea for a battery bought from Battery Hookup with a good BMS board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another project idea for a battery bought from Battery Hookup with a good BMS board

https://batteryhookup.com/products/n...-2900mah-cells

One note these battery packs are below 10 volts and the BMS protection board has locked them off from having any voltage on the BMS output wires I have tested three of them so far and voltage is around 8 volts it not an issue because it testing about 9.2 amp hours

The price of this offer has gone up sense I bought these two boxes

I bought two boxes of these batteries but there is a catch to the these battery packs

The BMS protection board does work but it has the limitations that are given below

One is that the BMS protection board limits the current to about 1.5 amp so my battery testing machine can not charge this battery pack ( because it tripping the BMS protection board ) unless I do the modification that I was talking about earlier in another post about the mosfet failure that I had trying to charge batteries with BMS protection boards ( I will not be able to test these battery packs before I put them in service )

But I have to go one step further not only do I have to control the incoming voltage but I also have to control the incoming current as well which now I will have to make a modification to the mosfet board and do away with the buck converter completely ( and use one that I can control both voltage and current on the same board ) because it is set up for the maximum of 5 amps no matter what the voltage is
    ( one note the data sheet for this buck converter does not show this configuration that was used on this battery testing machine )

The second issue is the connector on the battery pack I do not access to the type of connector that is being used for the battery pack but it is not hard to remove the connector and just use two wires for the BMS connections ( one note use plastic tool to open the enclosure because the batteries are very close to the enclosure walls and this is the reason for using plastic chisel to open up the enclosure )

The hole reason for this project is so that I can make a solar powered LED light fixture for my shed and convert a magnifying glass LED fixture to solar power

I also bought a very good solar panel from Battery Hookup as well it is a 18 volt 3 amp solar panel for around $50.00

My son bought a solar / outlet / vehicle / battery pack power generator and I used to charge this device with the solar panel and was impressed with how fast it was charging this device

The solar battery pack generator came with a 30% charge out of the box from 12 noon until 5 pm it went around 60% then the next day I started at 10 am to 5:30 pm and now it at around 86% and when I put it out there today it should finish charging it

In normal use conditions you would not depleted the battery pack that low so it would not take this long to charge the battery pack

If you have a power outage from a storm you would be charging it up every day while the sun is out
    If I were setting this up I would first of all use more than one solar panel but the limitations on this solar panel charging is limited about 8 amps so I would be limited to two panels to not go over the limitation

Which I do have two solar panels from battery Hookup but do not have the “Y” connectors to be able connect two panels together in parallel for faster charging
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-31-2022, 04:55 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Another project idea for a battery bought from Battery Hookup with a good BMS boa

Here is the link to the solar panels that I was referring to earlier in this post

https://batteryhookup.com/products/5...el-new-edition

One note about the description of the watts output of this solar panel is 50 according to the watt meter on the solar / outlet / vehicle / battery pack power generator it was showing as high as 34 watt output going to the battery pack but this might be because of the BMS protection board
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-31-2022, 11:47 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Re: Another project idea for a battery bought from Battery Hookup with a good BMS boa

Well today it was showing 100% charged started 10am to 1pm

Roughly 15 hours to charge from 30% to 100% from the sun wow

Here is the link to solar power pack generator that I was referring to earlier in this post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28490857666...sAAOSws1Ji3aMl

One note I have not done any other functions only charge the battery pack inside the device my son is going to do the running test of the device and I give you the results in a few days from now based on what he tells me
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-31-2022, 04:40 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

An update on this battery pack

My son is using for a refrigerator in his semi truck so he has cold drinks ( the drinks were not pre-cooled ) ( normally they would be pre-cooled first ) for the driving from one location to another location so he does have to stop and loose traveling time which is loosing money
        ( one note the truck is not parked at the house )

Here are the results he put refrigerator on at around 7:30 at night and by 4:30am ( which is when he leaves in the morning and the drinks were cooled ) it was at about 39% so he put it on charge from the truck and it charged backup to 100% in about 3.5 hours very good results

The cigarettes lighter outlet can not handle charging battery pack and running the refrigerator at the same exact time the computer on the truck tripping out on over current but I have a solution for this issue is to run a cigarette outlet directly from the battery with an inline fuse but put a control relay that is switched by the accessory position on the ignition switch and he uses this just for the power pack and refrigerator only
        The reason for setting it this way is that when the truck is not running in between dropping off and picking up a load there is down time while you are waiting for them to process your paperwork and unload you or whatever you have to wait for fuel is very expensive right now

The reason for doing this is that you do want to come out to low state of charge batteries for a semi truck because you you need all the power to start the engine

I also bought one of these battery packs after we done these tests but I going to use mine for power back up if we loose power in the house but I going use the sun to charge the battery pack senses I have the solar panels that I used for the testing of the battery pack

So far the battery pack is preforming very well as expected and very pleased with the results that I have seen so far

The only testing that has not been done yet is the outlet charging and the inverter but I will be doing this testing in next few weeks and I will give these results

One note I am not getting paid for this evaluation I did not receive these items for free to be evaluated l am sharing these results in case someone is interested in going green and what options are available and will work for you together if anyone is interested in doing this themselves
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-04-2022, 08:04 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Getting back to the original topic that I started with I will be working on the modification to the battery testing machine to be able to test and charge the battery pack that have the BMS protection board for charging the battery packs

The reason this post got a little bit of track is because of me testing the solar panels that I had bought from Battery Hookup that had been sitting in corner of a room in my house and not having the right battery and BMS protection board for the solar panels

So when my son bought the solar power generator gave me an excuse to test the solar panels and evaluate them to see if it was worth doing this project and I have answered this question satisfactory with the results that I got from the testing that was done
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-04-2022, 09:07 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

yea, nice work. now if only we had EVs that could be solar charged, all our fossil fuel problems would disappear! many of the problems in this world are caused by fossil fuel producing countries and companies but since this is not the vip room, i wont comment further.

Comment

Working...
            X