CyberPower 1350AVR - Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberPower 1350AVR - Repair

My CyberPower 1350AVR died after a bad storm, must have been on the way out. The batteries no longer held a charge. I ordered new batteries, but it would not charge them. I did not find any relevant examples for my unit so I decided to start with a capacitance test by de-soldering capacitors and testing with my multi-meter. I tested 4 before I found one with an obvious failure out of specification. Tested C2, C14, C1 and C3. I found the fault was C1 rated at 22 uF and 50 V. Its capacitance was 2.014 uF and falling over time. I replaced it and now the batteries charge and have stayed charged. I will update this post if it fails again.
    Attached Files

Re: CyberPower 1350AVR - Repair

If this unit has a few years of age
    and has caps that are off brand

If it has any of these series then you should be alright

Panasonic series FR FC FM
    KY KZE
    PL PW

I would replace all of them except for the main large cap unless it looks like it has pop it top
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by plasticrelic View Post
      My CyberPower 1350AVR died after a bad storm, must have been on the way out. The batteries no longer held a charge. I ordered new batteries, but it would not charge them. I did not find any relevant examples for my unit so I decided to start with a capacitance test by de-soldering capacitors and testing with my multi-meter. I tested 4 before I found one with an obvious failure out of specification. Tested C2, C14, C1 and C3. I found the fault was C1 rated at 22 uF and 50 V. Its capacitance was 2.014 uF and falling over time. I replaced it and now the batteries charge and have stayed charged. I will update this post if it fails again.
      Hi plasticrelic,

I have the exactly the same issue with my Cyberpower 1500AVR.
      I believe both of our main boards' are nearly identical (other than wattage).

I replaced the C3 cap due to obvious damage, but I am afraid to remove
      my C1 cap because on the back side of my board there appears to be a tiny
      copper colored component soldered across the C1 cap's traces.

When you un-soldered your C1 did you see this micro-component ?
      Any idea what this little thing is ? How on earth did you get such a tiny
      component back on the board ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comment

Hi plasticrelic,

I have exactly the same issue with my Cyberpower 1500AVR.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenKeel View Post
          Hi plasticrelic,

I have exactly the same issue with my Cyberpower 1500AVR.

Pictures of the parts and exactly connected? It sounds like MLCC.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Indeed, most likely SMD ceramic. What are the original lytics, Su'Scons? I'd replace all, where one is bad, others will follow.

Anyway, good to see CyberPower does not use Must Power crap, they have their own platform…
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

looks like the viper running hot.
              cooking c1.

Comment

It may also be because the cap failed, it was not working properly, excesivelly switching. Putting a tiny heatsink on it will not harm anything though.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  Indeed, most likely SMD ceramic. What are the original lytics, Su'Scons? I'd replace all, where one is bad, others will follow.

Anyway, good to see CyberPower does not use Must Power crap, they have their own platform…
                  If this unit is 7-8 years old, like that of the OP, every lytic not made by one of the good brands should be considered suspect.

A UPS mfr using low quality/reliability caps seems oxymoronic to me, but what do I know?
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenKeel View Post
                    Hi plasticrelic,

I have the exactly the same issue with my Cyberpower 1500AVR.

It has been a few months. I do not remember any component under the capacitors.

Comment

I must thanks plasticrelic for opening this thread and the rest of you guys for supplying such useful information.
                      I have a CP1500AVR about 8 years old and like this better than the new version. Also good to see that the main board are nearly identical since mine got a burnout on what I could now see from the OP pictures is a resistor near the viper. The capacitor is no good also I think it caused this issue.
                      I think the board is fixable since no trace is torn off.

EDIT by mods: user created a new thread here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65997
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-23-2017, 02:43 PM.
                      A Picture of subject is always Welcome

Things saved from the e-landfill:
                      Vizio VA26LHDTV10T 26" - Bad EEPROM Cap
                      Asus PTGD1-LA Full Recap - Cha1 DDR socket damage
                      MSI PM8M3-V Unstable CPU Recap CPU VRM circuit
                      ViewSonic VA712B - still working on it
                      Kindle Fire USB Connector
                      MSI G31M-F Full Recap - Record Breaker done in 3Hrs.
                      MSI P67A-G43 BIOS chip Reprogram - Tested and Happy

The list will go on thanks to the people of this forum and many hours of reading.

Comment

Just wanted to document that I repaird two CP1500AVRLCD by replacing C1 and C3 (and the VIPER22A) just like OP.

Both had brown-ish zone around the VIPER22A and only one had critically failed: battery would discharge very slowly when connected to the power outlet and almost instantly discharge when unplugged (so after a while plugged, the UPS would complain that the battery was dead). I first thought it was the battery, but I swapped it with the other UPS, and it worked fine in the other UPS. Also tested the output voltage and it looked OK.

It clearly looks like the VIPER22A can get very hot (up to 170C according to its specs) which might be the cause of failure of the surrounding caps over time (as the fan only works when the UPS is on battery, but the VIPER22A can hit 80-90C steadily from my laser thermometer measurements).

I ended up repairing one and preventively replacing caps in the second one, replacing C1 with https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1-1-ND/7365024 and C3 with https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...6-1-ND/3129143 and the VIPER22A with new ones bought on ebay (digikey had no VIPER22A-E DIP-8 in stock).

Also added small heatsinks (cut from video card ramsinks with pliers, though some exist on digikey https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...819-ND/3511413).

When all was replugged, the failed UPS powered up in a strange bootloop and LCD would blink just like mentionned here https://blog.sherwinm.com/2017/08/05...power-1350avr/. Turns out it just needed to be connected to a battery with a small charge to power up correctly, and afterwards everything seems to be working fine so far for both units.
                        Last edited by tehownt; 04-22-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

It may help to bring the temps down by considerable margin by putting even just a tiny heatsink on the PWM chip. Or possibly putting a silicone rubber pad between the board and the plastic cover. About 5 mm thick or more (or you can put more of them on each other).

While plastic does not conduct heat so well, when the chip gets so hot, the plastic can still warm up too and dissipate some (especially via radiation when it's black). Besides, the ViPER does not really put away so much of heat, it's couple watts. If you remove only 0.5 W or 1 W of that, it will get considerably cooler.

I think it was always recommended in the datasheet of such chips to put the drain pins to some larger area of copper on the PCB (possibly with some extra solder) so it can conduct the heat away and use the whole board as heatsink. But why doing it? Making it like this means they save 0.1c per unit and a third of them die shortly after warranty.

Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this info. I have a CyberPower 1350 with the exact same problem. Spent money replacing batteries only to find it wasn't charging. Replaced C1 and just like yours, now it charges again! THANKS A MILLION, you saved me many hours of troubleshooting. I was about to pitch it and just buy a whole new UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed12 View Post
                              Thank you SO MUCH for posting this info. I have a CyberPower 1350 with the exact same problem. Spent money replacing batteries only to find it wasn't charging. Replaced C1 and just like yours, now it charges again! THANKS A MILLION, you saved me many hours of troubleshooting. I was about to pitch it and just buy a whole new UPS.

Originally posted by crash-cyberdrive View Post
                              I must thanks plasticrelic for opening this thread and the rest of you guys for supplying such useful information.
                              I have a CP1500AVR about 8 years old and like this better than the new version. Also good to see that the main board are nearly identical since mine got a burnout on what I could now see from the OP pictures is a resistor near the viper. The capacitor is no good also I think it caused this issue.
                              I think the board is fixable since no trace is torn off.

EDIT by mods: user created a new thread here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65997
                              @BigRed12 and @crash-cyberdrive

Glad we, as a community, are able to figure things like this out. It helps everyone and that is what motivates me. Good luck and have fun.

plasticrelic

Comment

I have a 7 year old Cyber Power 1350AVRLCD UPS. It was time to replace the batteries so I bought 2x PSH-1280F2 and replaced them inside the unit. I turned the unit on, it started beeping like normal. I turned it off and decided to plug it in and let it charge so I could see if it was going to work. As soon as I plugged it into the wall, puffs of smoke came from the unit and I unplugged it and took it outside.

After opening the unit I saw 2 bad caps. It looks like the same caps that are being referenced here. I was told this was a good choice of battery to replace the old ones with, so was this the batteries fault? There shouldn't have been any surge from the AC current. Were the caps bad to begin with before I changed batteries?

I don't know if I should waste money trying to fix the caps or try to send the batteries back and forget it. I have another unit to replace batteries in and a second set of batteries on back order and now I'm wondering if I should try and cancel the order. Things just don't seem to work out simple and easy anymore. I've replaced caps before but it's not my favorite thing to do.

If the batteries are not at fault, maybe it's a good idea to replace the caps in the second unit as a preemptive strike.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Paradise Studios; 07-09-2019, 11:49 AM. Reason: Uploading Photos

Comment

Most likely were toasted and as it cooled down for the time it was offline, when you plugged it to electricity with not fully charged accumulators, they got loaded and overheated rapidly, relasing pressure and gases.

If you have similar units than refurbish all of them otherwise you'll run into same situation. I know very well why I refubish EVERYTHING before putting it out - most of the HW there these days is such a crap you have to always upgrade it before you give it to somebody again.

Comment

Thank you for the information Behemot, I appreciate it. I don't look forward to replacing capacitors or anything requiring soldering as even though I have done it before, I am not very good at it. It looks like C3 and C6 need replacing as well as the Viper. C1 looks fine but I should probably replace it also as others have had problems with it. Are there any others that you would replace? I hope not, it's going to be a chore for me to replace the ones I have. I found a Viper at DigiKey, https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...4-5-ND/1852690. I've only ever replaced capacitors before, never these multi-pronged things.

I have a Hakko FX888-23BY (knob version) soldering station and am looking into upgrading my equipment for the new task at hand. What would be a good tip to use with this soldering station as the default tip I have hasn't been working out too well for me. I'm also getting new soldering wire and flux as the stuff I have isn't really suited to circuit boards and that may have been why I struggled to solder stuff in the past.

Links:
                                    https://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-D...dp/B0019V5MAC/
                                    https://www.amazon.com/Solder-Diamet...dp/B01N0VNNKO/
                                    https://www.amazon.com/Rosin-Paste-F...dp/B008ZIV85A/

Thanks for the valuable information this forum has provided for this task, I hope others find my photos and posts helpful in the future also.

References:
                                    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...omment=7825195
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Your existing work station should be fine for the job. Since you're going to replace the viper22 anyway, instead of trying to remove it as one whole unit, just cut through each pin with a pair of sharp diagonal wire cutters. Then simply remove each soldered pin individually. If you're having trouble melting the solder, then apply some fresh solder to the joint. Use some desoldering braid (wick) to soak up the excess solder.

Comment

Thanks, I knew there were a lot of people using the Hakko when I bought it years back but I was soldering like a plumber with bad solder and acid flux which gave me poor results. I was also using too high of temperature. My hands also shake a lot, so that doesn't help. After watching hours of good informative videos and purchasing real solder and flux I think I'm ready to do much better.

Great tip on cutting the pins on the chip, I saw this done in a video too.

I was going to put some heatsinks on the viper's but after some reading, people seemed to think the thermal glue would come loose from the high heat and come free and might cause some sparks inside the UPS unit.

Thanks for the helpful tips jetadm123!

Comment

Working...
                                        X