Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BenQ GW2450HM - Panel is partially dimmed, works for 2 hours after replacing few caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BenQ GW2450HM - Panel is partially dimmed, works for 2 hours after replacing few caps

Issue: Panel is partially dark or dimmed, left side is okay (see photos attached).

Trial: Replaced three visibly bad capacitors on the power supply board (see photos).

First result: Monitor worked for two hours only. Two capacitors bulged again.

Diagnosis: After replacing those capacitors the monitor was connected via HDMI cable to a laptop. Laptop was connected to power supply and charging. Power cable was removed from the laptop end and put back. Maybe this was a coincidence but since unplugging the power cable it was noted that the panel had darkened again. Not sure if this happened at the exact same time or before disconnecting the power from the laptop.

The two replaced 680uF capacitors seem to be visibly bulged again when the replaced 470uF capacitor remains visibly ok. (Capacitor tester not available at the moment).

When powering up the monitor the panel will be "fully bright" for a fraction of a second (see photo).

On the logic board there are two 220uF 16V capacitors C605 and C606 which still could be replaced just in case (see photo).

Questions:
    What are the possible reasons to cause the capacitor to bulge (generally and in this case)?
    What could be measured in order to trace the failure?

Thanks in advance. I'm here to learn

Specifications:

Replacement capacitors from Hitano:
    2 pieces: ELCO radial 680uF25V R.5mm 10x21mm, +105°C
    Low ESR, RoHS

1 piece: ELCO radial 470uF25V R.5mm 10x16mm, +105°C
    Low ESR, RoHS

Monitor:
    Brand: BenQ
    Model: GL2450-T
    Type: GW2450HM
    Manufacturing date: August 2012
    Revision: 00-003-AA
    Product number: 9H.L8RLA.TBE
    Serial number: ET18C03468019
    Attached Files

Re: BenQ GW2450HM - Panel is partially dimmed, works for 2 hours after replacing few

Chinese caps or wrong voltage rating. Not sure what was in there originally. Usually I use Panasonic, Nichicon or Rubicon for most of my repairs and I buy them from a reputable company like Digi-Key, moser, etc. Don’t buy anything like that from eBay, Ali or whatever along that line.
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 10-10-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X