Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a SkyRc MC3000 battery testing machine very interesting device temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a SkyRc MC3000 battery testing machine very interesting device temp

I just bought this device that came in the mail today I put a set of 4 brand new 21700 high current battery on the charger

The charger has four individual temperature sensors for each battery cell
    The bar graph for each individual battery cell is very primitive but will give you a good idea of how each battery cell is preforming and I find something odd I put on the individual battery testing machine that gives more details of the charging/discharging curves but it will be quicker to just charge and discharge battery cells that do not have any issues

Or test battery cells that you do not know anything about this gives you a way to pre scan the battery cells to weed out batteries that have issues with out having to babysit them

The 18650 battery store where I bought the high current tool type batteries from they had a review about this battery testing machine so I decided to try it out and see if it will work better for me than the SkyRc IMAX b6 battery tester that can only do one battery at a time with the temperature sensor so this will work a lot better for me now

The SkyRc MC3000 Battery testing machine

https://www.18650batterystore.com/products/skyrc-mc3000

The 21700 batteries that I bought

https://www.18650batterystore.com/products/samsung-40t
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-14-2022, 07:25 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: I just bought a SkyRc MC3000 battery testing machine very interesting device temp

cant that charger run over bluetooth / usb to a pc or phone app with charts & stuff?

Comment

Re: I just bought a SkyRc MC3000 battery testing machine very interesting device temp

Yes it can and that what I was referring to that it very primitive graphics not much details but only because of the size of temple and the way the graph is setup I used my iPad to view the graphics I will post what it looks like sometime today or tomorrow

But it does not look like you can start and stop the charger but I do not know for sure if that is the case only because I just want to see how the application was setup and if showing each battery cell temperature or not one thing that is nice about the application is that it shows you the internal resistance of each battery cell as well a very nice feature

The other SkyRc also had this feature but you had to go to another screen to see it so I did not use it very much to most of the time not at all
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-15-2022, 05:22 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

With this version of there battery testing machine you set on the fly but it is not easy it is easier to create a charging/discharging profile then select the profile and you are off and running
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have changed my mind about just how primitive this graphic application really is I was just going to storage charger them when I was watching the being of the charging cycle the charging curves were all over the place between individual battery cells so I am going to cycle them one more time and see if this situation will be better

The graduations in mil volts is what is lacking in this application but it is very useful for spotting issues with the charging/discharging cycling curves which is what I was looking for in a battery testing machine

If I want a closer look at just how bad a charging/discharging curve is then I will use the other battery testing machine for more accurate look at this situation

One note I started with storage mode was when I saw all the charging curves all over the place so I stopped the mode and when to the cycling mode

One more note the battery resistance measurement is when you first start charging mode the first time then when you do the discharge mode after that it shows N/A after this not an issue

Charge once and discharge once then when to storage mode then when to cycle mode

Overall I very impressed with this battery testing machine from SkyRc for a 4 bay battery testing machine
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-15-2022, 03:00 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Nice charger… I always wanted to get one of these…

Comment

I have to figure out if it has a bug because it does not stay connected with Bluetooth for the entire charging or discharging cycle I will let you know if I figure out what is causing this issue

You can start and stop the battery testing machine remotely which is nice you can also set the temperature cutoff for all of the I have it set to 104*F / 40*C

However it does limit you one amp if you use all four bays for charging or discharging if you only one then you can do two amp maximum
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-16-2022, 12:00 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

So that Bluetooth feature is for the app to be able to track the charging curve etc? Not sure why it wouldn’t stay connected as long as it is within Bluetooth range, but I agree with you that it very well could be a firmware problem on the charger itself.

Comment

I might have it to far away from each other but this might be a guess but the signal strength meter shows that it is in range so this is why I am not sure exactly what the issue is but I had it running sense 2 am this morning and now it is 7:30 am and it still connected so who knows what going on with it

Apparently this application was updated became of bugs that were supposedly fixed but I know how that is

Yes this is how you see the charging/discharging curves and set the parameters for the charging discharging cycle and what type of battery cells you have are using etc

One note about the auto detection for what type of battery cell is being installed yesterday I was using it and it shows the right type of battery to start with but after a while it then it showing that it is unable to determine what type of battery cell is in that slot but this was the battery cell that had the worst charging curve after being discharged so I watching this battery cell because it was the last one to come out of pause so I might run this cell on the other battery testing machine to see what might be an issue with this battery cell
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-16-2022, 05:34 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

But oddly enough all the batteries came back up and charged up correctly so I am not sure exactly what the issue was but it seems to work the way it suppose to so I do not know what happened unless it just gilded for some reason I

I going to put another set of four in the charger and let see if it has any issues doing it this time
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I have tested several sets of 4 batteries and so far the battery testing machine is working correctly and so I have had no issues

The batteries that I have been testing the results are very consistent with each battery cell they are within 100 milliamperes hours of each other and some of them are exactly the same amp hours which is very good I can match most of them exactly

So I have done 4 sets four of them but still have a lot to still do but will probably have all of them done before the Milwaukee battery enclosure gets here

These batteries never go beyond 90*F when charging or discharging these batteries which is very good results I have the temperature cutoff set to 104*F and the charging rate set to one amp the discharge rate is set to one amp as well I cycle them once

One note about the temperature sensor and where it is located will work for batteries up to 21700 but for batteries sizes bigger than this I would have to use the other SkyRc battery testing machine for battery temperature testing issues but not a deal because I do not test a lot of batteries sizes bigger than 21700 anyway

This SkyRc MC3000 is priced at around $100.00 depending where you buy it from to me it is worth it however I think it falls short of being a extremely good value for the money in one aspect and it is that the application could be better designed and easier to use but this is true about there other battery testing machine that I have and it has the same issue with the application it is some what primitive in nature this true about the graphics could be a lot better and easier to read for plotting purposes but like I mentioned earlier because I have a better battery testing machine for the graphics but it also falls short but it is that the charging controller section of it some short flaws when you try to charge battery packs with BMS balancing protection board it really can not do them correctly depending on the BMS protection board

On this note remember that I was talking about some battery packs that I was having issues with charging them well turns out that the BMS protection board has issues with charging portions of the circuit so I just going to reuse the batteries and scrape the BMS protection boards that do not work correctly anymore I think that why they were recycled to Battery Hookup for resale
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-18-2022, 07:36 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

One note about the issue with the charging controller for the EBC-A10H is would have been better to have slowly ramp up the charging current to the setup set point instead of insatiately going to the set point then you might have been able to charge battery packs that have BMS protection boards on them
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

One note about this SkyRc battery testing machine I found out that you have to power cycle the tester after each use so that it will reconnect with the Bluetooth function it is kind-a anointing that you have to do this but it must be some type of bug issue that might be addressed in firmware update
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update on the battery testing that I was doing for the replacement battery packs for the Milwaukee M18 battery packs I finally finished one battery pack I did a three amp load test gave 10 amps hours at about 16.7 volts before the voltage drops rapidly the batteries are rated for 4 amp hour but my testing showed more like 3799 to 3899 at 1 amp load on individual battery cells with a voltage cutoff at 3 volts

This is not bad for tool battery cells at $4.35 each
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-12-2022, 07:03 AM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

So the average battery voltage roll off 3.4something this is decent results for an average
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I tested one of the old battery cells from the unbalanced battery pack and the results are not very good

The other problem with the old cells are a self discharge rate is to fast about a month some of the battery cells voltage were at 3.4 volt with battery pack not used other than activating the fuel gauge LED lights

The voltage range was from 3.4 to 4.0 volts

I will do the same battery testing on a new battery cell that I bought just recently for the Milwaukee battery packs

Now you would think that having a 94.5 remaining useable life on a battery would good if the self discharge rate would not be so high

I will still use these batteries but will put the batteries that have a high discharge rate all together so the battery pack will be more balanced than what it was
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-15-2022, 05:03 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here are the pictures of the BMS protection board that came in Milwaukee battery repair kit that does not work correctly here is what is under the two heat sinks
                                  Attached Files
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is the results of a new 21700 battery versus the old 21700 battery that was in the Milwaukee battery pack

Yes they are still useable but not for high current applications that they would be if they were not having this issue with dropping so fast

Mind you you that this is at one amp not 3 to 5 amps for a grinder with a load
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-15-2022, 04:38 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

AliExpress has gotten back with on my dispute about the BMS protection board issue and they do not give you enough picture space or information space to fully document the issue and what you have done and how you did what you did

So let see what happens next with AliExpress and this dispute if they refunded any money for these BMS protection boards that do not work correctly
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well I have an issue with this battery tester the Bluetooth does not turn on anymore even after doing a factory reset function still will not turn on so who knows exactly what the issue is I took it apart but do not see anything burnt near the Bluetooth module there are two surfaces mounted capacitors that one end of them does not seem to be very much solder on them I do not think that this is the issue but one thing that I noticed that it only has 5 pins that are on the Bluetooth module two looks like the power supply and the other three go to the micro controller ic chip and if I get voltage that goes to the Bluetooth module and Bluetooth module has power then there is a issue with Bluetooth module and I am pretty sure that you can not just use any Bluetooth module and it would work correctly again
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X