Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

correct way to connect bare speaker wires into spring clip terminals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correct way to connect bare speaker wires into spring clip terminals?

i recently bought a logitech z607 surround system. however, its giving me grief. when i first connected it, it only had sound coming from the front right speaker. after a great deal of fiddling and reseating the speaker wires into the spring clip terminals, i finally had sound coming from all 5 satellite speakers.

however, the sound still gets cut off intermittently if i move the speakers, subwoofer or move/touch the speaker wires on the back of the subwoofer. so i wanna ask what is the right way to connect bare speaker wires into spring clip terminals?

i googled for the answers but the problem is they dont say whether u insert the whole length of the wire into the spring clip as far as it will go inside the terminal including the insulated part of the wire? or do u just insert the bare metallic part of the wire and leave the insulated part of the wire outside the spring clip terminal? thanks.

i just wanna know if the problem is just pebkac or the speakers are really faulty and its the fault of the manufacturer for making such a poorly designed and built speaker system and maybe rma it or sell it?
    Attached Files

Re: correct way to connect bare speaker wires into spring clip terminals?

Bare wire in, insulation out. If there is intermittent sound with movement, perhaps there are dry joints where the terminals meet the PCB.

Comment

i would crimp ferules onto the wires or tin them with solder,
      i'v seen to many problems caused by those stupid "terminals" with strands of wire sticking out.

Comment

when i have conections like this over the years i solder piece of wires drill the chassis and screwed speakons or binding post conectors.a life time solution��

Comment

well yes, 4mm posts or 6.3mm jack sockets are good - -but most people dont want to mod the equipment

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            i would crimp ferules onto the wires or tin them with solder,
            i'v seen to many problems caused by those stupid "terminals" with strands of wire sticking out.
            sry, i forgot to mention that logitech did indeed tin the wires together so they form a single conductor strand of wire about 1mm or less thick so its 20awg speaker wire or so.
            Originally posted by spiros.p View Post
            when i have conections like this over the years i solder piece of wires drill the chassis and screwed speakons or binding post conectors.a life time solution��
            well yes, 4mm posts or 6.3mm jack sockets are good
            but i've read that spring clip terminals can accept either bare speaker wire or pin connectors from the speakers into the spring clip terminals only. anything else like binding posts, banana or spade are sketchy and may not be an acceptable connection for spring clip terminals.

and even if i mod the connectors, it may not resolve the issue if the actual problem is bad solder joints on the pcb like diff said.
            most people dont want to mod the equipment
            yes, modding the equipment voids the warranty. opening up the subwoofer to fix the bad solder joints also voids the warranty.

Comment

it could be a break in the wire under the insulation - if it is then it's probably at the speaker end

Comment

i do the mods after warranty time.if is dry joint on spring clip terminals under warranty is it to early for dried joints?i mean after years is going to dry the joint's.or is a factory fault.

Comment

Working...
                X