IBM Aptiva 2144 Power Supply Repair Magnetek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM Aptiva 2144 Power Supply Repair Magnetek

I just got an old IBM Aptiva 2144 model that worked for a minute and shut off.

The culprit was the Magnetek PSU that failed. Acutally the reason it failed was a bunch of leaky capacitors that were slowly destroying the PCB.

In the past, I had problems with Magnetek, as they used something like a Daewoo capacitors that a lot of them read completely open, but with no leakage. This time, the caps leaked. Only 2 or 3 of all caps were still okay.

So, after a drilling out the rivets, disassembling the PSU and recapping it, it works.

The leaky caps were:
    Nippon Chemi-Con LXF
    Samwha RG
    Nichicon PF
    Attached Files

Re: IBM Aptiva 2144 Power Supply Repair Magnetek

Found more problems, the soldering also isn't very good on this power supply.

All working 100%

See the attached photos of a badly cracked joints
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, nice job.

"Made in Italy," it's a keeper!
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Thank you. "Made in Italy" is usually good to see on food, but not on electronics

Magnetek branded PSUs were also used on first PowerBook Duo Docks and those also all need recapping. Also they are riveted together, which means you need to drill out the rivets, etc. Major PITA. This IBM one was also riveted, I guess all of Magnetek PSUs were.

Also traces are thin as paper and lift really easily, even with care. But still, when working, they work fine.

Comment

the good thing about rivets is when you see them you know you didnt re-cap it yet!

Comment

I think I saw a "9527" date code on an IC, and the LXF series is quite old. Also, it looks like the output connector is pre-ATX.. Lasting 20 or 25 or 27 years is rather respectable. I'd suggest replacing the LXF caps with a very mature Nichicon or Chemicon low impedance series.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
            X